Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Roach Rod Saga Continues! Almost done! New Pics Added...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Jan 13, 2023.

1. I don't know if I could buy an old one back. I have no desire to own my Tub again. Like wives, you trade one off and move on

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    LOST ANGEL likes this.
  2. Sorry... that last video was a duplicate.
    This is my new video... a walk-around and look at the chassis of the Former Roach Rod.

3. I saw a car just like that the other day :cool:

Tim likes this.
  4. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

That makes two of us. I never thought I would see it again at the time.. Sam, I have a trophy for you here. Have you seen any rocket powered Pinewood derby cars lately

enjenjo

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    Outback, chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  5. Not Lately! I was hoping you had some whitewalls on CRAGAR S/S mags! Haha! I still laugh at that story…

chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  6. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

The night we almost burnt down Hot Rod Bob's house. Didn't Don D win the 6 foot best of show trophy - and dismantle it to get it in his coupe. Fun RRT weekend memories.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  7. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Yes, and my grand daughter Shelby won it the next year, and I still have it here. She has a 7 year old son now.

8. That is so cool! I remember your grandkids and that they got Razor Scooters at the Father's Day Show. In June of 2000... nobody had even seen a Razor Scooter, or at least I hadn't! They were riding those things all around!

Outback, chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  9. NealinCA

NealinCA

Is "El Mosquito" going to show up here too?

Glad to see FRR back home.

Neal

cactus1, Steve Ray, Tman and 2 others like this.
  10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

o_OWait!! This is a fantastic thread but those three comments need explanation for those of us who weren't there. Not trying to hijack this thread but inquiring minds want to know ;).

chryslerfan55 and Grandadeo like this.
  11. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

In 2000 the Rodders Roundtable did a Haute Cuisine tour of the LA area for the LA Roadster show week. As part of the deal we hit a lot of the famous burger and hot dog joints. And one of them was the Taluka Lake Big Boy. That is where Sam found the body that would become the Roach Rod. One night we had a BBQ at Hot Rod Bob's house. So since there was nothing else to do we had an outlaw Pinewood derby race on Bob's track, Size limit only, no weight limit. The cars ran the gambit from crude hand carved Pinewood cars to one from UCLA that had a CNC billet body with nearly $800 invested in the wheel bearings. My car was filled with lead, weighed 7 lbs., and had Teflon wheels. Anyway as the night rolled on there was installed a rocket motor in one of the cars. The grass was dry, there were flames everywhere. A garden hose put it out, but it was iffy for a few minutes.. The story "Doing 90 on the Diamond" was inspired that week. There was a second outing like that in 2005 but it wasn't the same.

Outback, chryslerfan55, Tman and 6 others like this.
  12. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for that, it was hilarious. Sounds like something I would have been involved in several decades ago, or maybe, depending on the participants, even now. @Lloyd's paint & glass , are you seeing this ;)?

Outback and Tim like this.
  13. I have no concerns Alan, if anybody shows up at my place that thinks they will destroy my property or ruin my good time, I feel very sorry for them is all I'll say.

alanp561 and Bandit Billy like this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think you missed the story Loyd. They were racing jet powered pinewood derby cars. No one was trying to destroy anything

15. Lol I thought it was a story like the wild ones! Yeah I guess I missed that part, I didn't read the whole story ;)

alanp561, chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  16. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So , is there going to be rocket car races?

17. [​IMG]

Ironically Neal, this image came up in the same Googly search ;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    Outback, alanp561, cactus1 and 5 others like this.
  18. NealinCA

NealinCA

That's where I got my inspiration...haha. Well maybe the Roach Rod, Rocky's 33, Mart's Old Rusty, Mild Mitch's modified and Rogue's first RPU had something to do with it too. Those were all going together when I first checked in here.

rod1, cactus1, Just Gary and 5 others like this.
  19. Rogues was killer, I sold Jimmy that Offy 4x2 setup he used on it.

Outback and Just Gary like this.
  20. Under the fuel filler lid, I had a pair of Wilwood master cylinders and a balance bar set up. There was a neat fabricated fluid reservoir there also, with a nice Wilwood vented cap at the center.

The brake and clutch pedals, I used motorcycle brake pedals before the Haifley Brothers changed that stuff out for what there is now. I also had a mechanical linkage set up for the clutch, the pedal was buttery smooth and plenty of room for two clod hoppers and boots.

21. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

I know there was a bunch of us there that weekend. Do you remember if Bob K was part of the gang???

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. DRD57

DRD57

BobK was not there.

Outback likes this.
  23. cfmvw

cfmvw

Really cool that you got it back! I like the overall proportions and minimalist execution; the original version was really cool, but I really like the "finished" version, too.

24. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Thanks Don. Spent some time with him at one of the Lone Stars and knew I had met him before that. Just can't remember where.

Lee

Outback and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. sodas38

sodas38

Awesome story, glad you got it back. What a great car and history.

26. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

C9 was there, as was Old farts and old Fords plus several more

Outback, chryslerfan55 and NoSurf like this.
  27. I was there, rode down with Don P. (OFOF) R.I.P.
    Had a great time & met a lot of great guys I call friends to this day.

Mick

28. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I saw it at the Haifley's 4th of July party last summer, but didn't realize the history of it! The original RR was just barely before my time (for reference, I graduated high school in 2012) but I can say the current version is definitely a stunning car. That intake sure had me scratching my head!

chryslerfan55 likes this.