Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods American Graffitti Coupe Steering Wheel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Bob, Feb 6, 2023.

1. Question....At the GNRS, I was toled that the steering wheel in my Coupe was extremely rare, and the same one as the American Graffitti Coupe. It is hard black plastic(not foam) 3 spoke, and the holes on the spokes have a large hole, small hole, then another large hole. Instead of typical three different size holes. I'll see if I can post a pic.

2. My computer is a POS, and I can't get logged on.

Stogy likes this.
  3. Maybe I can post a pic tomorrow.

Stogy likes this.
  4. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

5. Yep, I have the same wheel. He called it something....sounded like yamaguchi, or something. I've searched any cant even find a photo of one.

Stogy and Murphy32 like this.
  6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Older posts here have suggested Ansen, Covico, and Grant as the manufacturer. I didn't do a rigorous search but there are several different discussions you can go back and check.

Stogy, lothiandon1940 and alchemy like this.
  7. You're right. Just did a search...it's a Covico. Not the first time someone has told me it's very rare. I've been trying to find out why. I had taken it off and put a new foam, 14" one on, decided to put it back on.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and catdad49 like this.
  8. catdad49

catdad49

Black Covico, if you have the right set of prints (Milner's), it will be worth even More!!

clem, Stogy, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Contrary to popular lore , they were made by Grant in the mid to late ‘60s. They never were made by Covico. 0637B8A8-68E9-46DD-BC3F-8751170F28B0.jpeg 77B0D332-1164-458C-9BD5-584C2C6125E7.jpeg F89CD7B8-0962-4060-B525-22BDA30CBEB9.jpeg 15DCDE39-14CE-4A10-855A-B5538EEADA4F.jpeg

10. Bowie is Moriarity on a low key scale..

Stogy, Driver50x, Dedsoto and 5 others like this.
  11. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Sometimes something is rare because it wasn't very popular and therefore not many were sold.

46Chief, clem, Stogy and 10 others like this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

hahahahaha, @bowie has way better stuff than I do....

13. And now...the contraversy ,lol. It looks just like that Grant wheel 345-802 too. But mine is hard plastic, not foam. Doesn't really matter, I just keep getting told how rare it is. Don't care how much it's worth, didn't ask. When guys keep saying something, the HAMB is usually where I find out the truth.

14. Both you guys are a wealth of information. I was hoping one of you would see this. Thanks for the info.

Stogy, 54delray, mad mikey and 4 others like this.
  15. I have always heard it called a Covico. They are pretty rare, I am not sure that they produced them very long.

Stogy and mad mikey like this.
  16. prpmmp

prpmmp

Well(IMHO) I would have to say that goofy looking car brought in a hole new generation of Hot Rodders and arguably made this hobby what it is today!! Pete

dan31, reagen, Stock Racer and 14 others like this.
  17. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

I actually agree with you...

18. [​IMG]

Here's what my wheel looks like.

19. haha, That's what I keep getting told. News to me...

Stogy likes this.
  20. That is actually close to the truth than we want to admit. Something goes on the market, it does not sell well and it comes off the market. Then 60 years later it is rare and collectable. :D

clem, jimmy six, reagen and 8 others like this.
  21. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I also agree with you because from articles I've read those MAN A FRE manifolds don't actually run well because early one's don't have a cross over and are rather crude inside. But since Millner had one everyone thinks they need one.

chryslerfan55 and bchctybob like this.
  22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

345-802 “Plastic Rim” per catalog pic.

mad mikey and bowie like this.
  23. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have never seen the Grant 345-802 with a foam rim. Only solid color or metal flake plastic. They were made in 12”, and the “coveted “ 14”. To me they can’t hold a candle to the looks of a genuine real Covico. 0798625C-081E-4B3A-99C3-3E716A6E1A6A.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

man a fres run great if they are set up properly. They all have the same crossover passages that are for idling only manafre1.JPG vette1.JPG

25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Per this we need a straight on pic of Bob’s wheel to confirm spoke position. 3AA12F11-A5B3-44D9-B6D7-996754305DF5.png

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. bchctybob

bchctybob

I might be mistaken but I’ve always thought that Covico was a much smaller company making only steering wheels while Grant was a much larger corporation with many product lines.
    A few years back, while gathering parts for my “Sam Conrad” roadster, I found out that Covico was still in business and still making steering wheels. I ordered exactly the same steering wheel that Sam used back in the ‘60s. I had to order it through a SoCal marine equipment company. He told me that they were limited production and sporadic, that the guy was winding down and would probably quit soon. I don’t know how much of that was BS but I got my wheel, it’s perfect and it only cost around $100.
    Superior 500 made some nice ‘wheels back then too. They seemed to have nicer chrome on them.

27. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would love to see the Covico or Ansen catalog page or ad, that shows it is their product. Please note only Covico wheels have even spoke spacing; and I don’t mean size of holes. Any of the newer Covico produced wheels have stainless spokes, not chromed steel as the originals were.

Automotive Stud and mad mikey like this.
  28. bchctybob

bchctybob

I was just throwing out a little steering wheel info I ran across. It had nothing to do with the Graffiti Coupe. I don't know anything about it.

29. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have seen the newer produced Covico’s ,and they are a real nice quality piece. It will look great and right at home ; in your bitchn’ roadster!!!