Register now to get rid of these ads!

History How did they or do you mount a club plaque without drilling a hole in the face?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by banjorear, Feb 5, 2023.

1. Mark Grabo

Mark Grabo
    from Upstate NY

How about drilling into the top surface and installing a eye hook

2. cruise36 - Copy.jpg

I modified a repop license plate bracket .. worked slick

72yenkonova and Jalopy Joker like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

how did you attach plaque?

4. A Boner

A Boner

Drill and tap smallish blind holes from the back…might want to do several holes for strength with the smallish hardware. Obviously place the holes in the thicker parts of the plate.

MO_JUNK likes this.
  5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I enlarged the picture and it looks like he drilled holes and attached it with screws rik.jpg

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

WARNING: do not go to google images and search "hole in your face"

swade41 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  7. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

I just did. I should have listened to you.

49ratfink likes this.
  8. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Body panel seam sealer. Just don't ever expect to remove it later down the road.

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  9. what's the big deal about a couple holes in a club plaque?...in the old days that's how it was done.

10. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

There was a tech thread here years ago. I dont know how to link it but here's a screenshot. Screenshot_20230206_192458_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20230206_192508_Chrome.jpg

11. banjorear

banjorear

Kind of leaning this way after all. Interesting read. If it helps, I'm making the bracket out an old street sign. LOL!

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  13. Dammit! I fell for it too! It's like telling someone DO NOT PUSH THE BUTTON!

do-not-press-priest.gif

49ratfink likes this.
  14. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

If you do end up going this route (I'm assuming you'll drill them in the background) slightly countersink them and use flat head slotted bolts. Painted the same background color, they'll be hard to spot.
    thumbnail.jpeg

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  15. I guess I just didn't give this much thought, I just bolted it on. 20220721_092222.jpg

SUHRsc and phat rat like this.
  16. I was trying to find what bracket(front) I purchased ( Dennis Carpenter ) . I removed the passenger tail light assy..screwed the bracket between the chrome tail light assy and the rear fender extension... reinforced the bottom with a thin straight metal plate on the on the back side painted black... stainless steels screws and lock nuts , then a cap nut to finish it off...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  17. rudestude

rudestude

Wow alot of good info even x2 on some, if you didn't get it the first time.
    Ya..banjorear they do look good all polished up with a nicely painted back ground ....but beware ..sometimes to much polishing can be damaging, I used to polish ,or rub, this one all the time till I discovered it had dropped 2 cup sizes .
    She still keeps ol Lone Wolf drooling though. 20230207_035434~3.jpg 20230207_035852~2.jpg

18. banjorear

banjorear

Rudestude:

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA. Made my morning.

rudestude likes this.
  19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

there were a couple of applications at work that called for that VHB tape, I swear you could stick butter to ice with that stuff....

20. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'm gonna have to find me one o' them Stackers car club plaques! :D

rudestude likes this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup.

When I was at GM, we had to make fixtures to make sure that parts were aligned when they touched down on it.

Get it wrong, and you may not get it apart. Wait 24-hours to find out that you got it wrong, and you won't get it apart.

Moriarity likes this.
  22. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

0E0CBAEF-DA4E-4F9E-A49A-71ABB87EB0AD.jpeg

Traditional mounting method

swade41 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  23. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

or simply use the snipping tool that is part of the Windows system.
    This allows you to partially post a pic if there is something innapropriate in the background

here's an example of a partially snipped and pasted pic
    upload_2023-2-9_8-46-15.png
    Use the Bostik ISR 70-03 that Mimi suggested
    The downside compared to VHB is an overnight cure time, BUT it is superior in every other way

I've used it to glue my flip-flops together AND also the aluminium deck to steel frame on my trailer, as well as the trailer fenders.[ I stand on the fenders] And the hitch coupler.
    upload_2023-2-9_8-55-1.png

It has a 260 psi shear load, and slightly less for tensile load [yet it remains rubbery and flexible]

upload_2023-2-9_8-56-34.png

LOU WELLS likes this.
  24. phat rat

phat rat

^^ You're BSing us right? If not you're braver than I am if you really used a glue for the coupler^^

25. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Absolute true story!
    When I towed it down to our local inspection centre for a roadworthy. The inspection "experts" nearly had a coronary because there was no welds or mechanical fastening.
    There is 48 sq in of glue surface in the coupler = 12480 lbs of shear load. Which I explained to them, so they wanted me to supply an engineers report [which wasn't a legal requirement ,but these idiots just make up rules as they go along]
    So it was cheaper for me go away and drill and put bolts into the coupler.. Ruining the aesthetics of my beautiful trailer.
    [they wouln't pass it with glue , but piss weak 3/8" self tap, button head cap screws were OK]

I do test it to destruction before I do something stupid.
    Here is some powdercoated steel winch bracket offcuts I glued together.
    After a week I used a crowbar to rip it apart ,and as you can see it pulled the powdercoating off the steel.
    upload_2023-2-9_13-20-48.png

I also tested this glue on "hot dipped" galvanised steel and it was similar . The glue literally delaminated the galv off the steel.
    Electroplated galv and bare steel were the best.

I also used it to glue together the monocoque frame in the car on my Avatar, so a club plaque should be a simple task.

26. phat rat

phat rat

Seeing your test pieces I still wouldn't use it for a coupler. But then again maybe your trailer is just a small light weight utility trailer. I have something bigger than that. The pictured load was hauled about 1900 mi home P1030245.jpg

27. goldmountain

goldmountain

I thought that this was a silly post since I just drilled holes in my plaque but then realized that this is the information I need for a different application. I built an aluminum hood for my T and the sides split into two pieces so that they can go around the headers and where the split is, the lower piece has a jog that the upper one overlaps with a dzus fastener holding them together. The problem is in the reinforcing plate under the dzus fastener. It has holes to mount it but there is no way to screw it on and have it clear the panel underneath. So far I have used epoxy but it doesn't seem to hold up and before I get to the paint stage, I need a good solution. VHB tape?

28. fuzzface

fuzzface

Stay lone wolf and enjoy it and you will have no need to mount that plate. Otherwise if you like arguing over silly things like how to mount your club plaque, join a group. I would just sell the unmolested club plaque on ebay and reap the rewards of it. :)

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I asked my wife where I should mount my PHAROAHS plaque on my F100.
    She just gave me the look. You know... 'The LOOK'?

How many in the 'No Club Lone Wolf' club?

30. nickleone

nickleone

those ae called elevator bolts. try McMaster Car I bought some

LOU WELLS likes this.