Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rollers :D '40 Chebby kind of trad adjacent. Someone's stalled project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Feb 5, 2023.

1. So a couple of weeks back @Roothawg posted about "Street Brawlers". Mrs Pk'n'Beaner managed to get herself inspired and went and found this '40 Chebby coup. It was a 30 year project that was stalled. Not totally trad, but that is the way with stalled projects. You get what you get, then you decide what you are willing to live with and what you got to change.

Here is what we are starting with. Its a 327 car, 300 horse motor, fresh. It sounds good. The machine shop that freshened it squared up the decks so the numbers are gone. I cannot prove anything about the mill without a tear down, which will probably not happen soon. 400 turbo hydro, B&M prepped if I can believe the paperwork.

The underpinnings are not totally trad, but they are all Chebby. No wild horses were harmed in the building of this car. I won't go into it out of respect for the members, other than to say that it has a pre-metric 10 bolt out of a '67 Chevelle. If you must know message me.

The body work is roughed in. The man was a body and fender man for a living. I do need to bump a dent or two out. All new glass, I have only had two cars in my life with all new glass and they were all new cars.

It looks like it was wired by a spastic chimp on meth. And there are a few other minor things that need to be addressed. Mostly TLC to make it a driver. Which is the plan for the near future.

Stalled projects can get you on the road quick. Unless you decide that a total build is what you are after. Then you are actually better off not to go that direction.

Anyway, here's a couple of pics.

chebby also.jpg

Chebby.jpg

slayer, Stogy, ClarkH and 35 others like this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man I’m so excited for this! Gonna be a perfect bruiser for you. Get the wheels and tires swapped and get it sitting right and you’ll be scaring old women and street cats in no time.

Stogy, Sancho and 54delray like this.
  3. Yea those dinky wheels have got to go. LOL

Unless something different happens before hand these 15x5 Ansens will have to do on the front. maybe a pair of 15x8 steelies on the rear, would be perfect. Don't own those yet. :D

ansen.png

slayer, Stogy, enloe and 12 others like this.
  4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That looks to be a great "stalled project" get! I am jealous.

Stogy and porknbeaner like this.

5. Hell I am jealous for ya. :D
    Came out of Topeka. Just a little bit south of you, well 4 or 5 hours I guess.

6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Congrats on the new project! Looking forward to updates.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Yup, yup gidyup. Tons of potential there.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. BJR

BJR

Great project. Just move/hide that gas filler sticking out of the rear quarter panel. Weld a gas door from a 50's GM car into the quarter. Stock is soooooo ugly.

sko_ford likes this.
  9. Sounds like a fun car for sure! Congrats and I look forward to what all you do with it! :cool:

Sancho likes this.
  10. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like PO cleared the front fenders for 20" wheels. I hope it is as solid as it looks. I'll follow the build.

Stogy, RAK and 1971BB427 like this.
  11. Nice project, have fun with it.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought the Bigs went on the rear and the Littles went on the front. Are you trying to start a new trend? :D

Looks like a fun car to finish! Good luck!

Stogy likes this.
  13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Looks like mama scored! I have had 2 41 Chevies, so I understand your vision. Excited to see where this goes.

Stogy, sko_ford, Sancho and 1 other person like this.
  14. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Hey PnB,
    Cool car and a great start!! Not much needed to get that one on the road. I have a few parts in a box from my 41 Chevy so if you need something and I have it let me know and I'll see if I have it.

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

What's up with the front wheel well opening?

16. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Looks good Beano. A set of 15x8 Ansen style slots on the rear to match your fronts would look good. Good to see ya with an active project again!

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Jacksmith like this.
  18. yeah, I could not live with those front fenders, shouldn't be difficult to find a couple originals.

Stogy and Jacksmith like this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

we think it may have had some dirt track ambitions at some point. If anyone’s got fenders to donate I’m sure we could find a way to get them there but for now I think he’s just
    Gonna get it sitting right and driving. That’s the important part at the moment.

I believe it’s a 5x4.75 bolt pattern on the rear. I think steelies would be cool but just incase someone’s got slots kicking around

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  20. Roothawg

Roothawg

I’ll keep an eye for a set of cheap fenders.

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Has a lot of potential, but as others stated, those front fenders need repair or replacement. Weird that someone opened them up, but left the rear original size?

Stogy and Roothawg like this.
  22. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Way cool.....still love the '40 Chevy coupes...I have posted this before on the Hamb...here was mine
    back in the 60's..did a lot of street racing....please keep us posted on your build....

pumpkin early (2).jpg pumpkin (4).jpg

23. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Gary-overby-1940-chevrolet-profile.jpg

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Gary_Overby's_1940_Chevrolet

@porknbeaner I know you said your wife was inspired by a street brawler. But for your consideration, the '40 Chevy Coupe built back in the day owned by Gary Overby. A nice, low center of gravity, and additionally, the sneaky sleeper aspect of being disguised as a mere custom.

Plus, it would save you and her finding new front fenders. Just rework the rear fenders to match. Get the widest tires you can tuck in there. If they've got wide whites and wheel covers, all the better! Who would guess it was ready to brawl?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    Stogy, rod1, VANDENPLAS and 13 others like this.
  24. alchemy

alchemy

Does it have a late clip in the front? I'd bet the front fenders were opened up to re-center the tires after a little surprise. Maybe best to form some new lips and weld to those fenders in the correct position.

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@alchemy it does have a clip but the wheels he’s wanting to run should clear a stock fender.

I also had the thought of a custom with power as the wheel wells first made me think of sectioned cars not dirt track. Could slam the ass down and run skirts.

But that doesn’t seem very Pork n Beaner to me

Stogy, 54delray and Roothawg like this.
  26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there you go. now you don't have to find new fenders:)

[​IMG]

Stogy, chryslerfan55, 1pickup and 7 others like this.
  27. atch

atch

P&B,

Way to go. 40 Chevy coups have been one of my favorite cars since the first time I saw one. Nice to know that no MII IFS was incorporated. I guess they might be ok but I've never cared for them.

Please tell the Missus she did good and that your first road trip should be to come see us.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 54delray like this.
  28. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Master 85 or Master Deluxe Business coupe, (no rear seat, gas filler hole behind passenger door).
    Did you get some headlight buckets with the car?

Stogy and porknbeaner like this.
  29. ...the chopped coupe with the radius'd fenders doesn't
    look too bad

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 54delray like this.