Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Neway Valve Seat cutters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seb fontana, Feb 5, 2023.

1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I figure there are people on here that use the Neway cutters in one form or another. I am afraid of over cutting if using machine power to drive [rpm not slow enough] so what if I rotate and apply pressure by hand? Valve size is 1.170 int/1.050 Exh. Since this is a Crosley hard to see whats going on 4" down the bore; may have to omitt a cutter or put the pilot in after the cutter is at the seat to clear the cylinder wall, valves just barely clear. I just measured the Int. bore to valve pocket and it is at 1.155, doesn't add up to much seat..:(

tractorguy likes this.
  2. Caution is your friend. If we have to do something over a few times slowly, it beats trying to find a replacement. We have all seen a head with the seat sunk. That's a quick way to kill airflow and performance.

tractorguy likes this.
  3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have used them on Cummins Diesel and Harley heads . Slow and easy wins the race

4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

only ever used them by hand, and with care

porknbeaner likes this.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If this is one of those seat cutters with the carbide cutters I only use my hand.

6. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Make an adjustable collar/stop that will limit the desired cut depth. That way you can sneak up on it a bit at a time.
    And if the cutter starts to chatter on the seat it's very difficult to fix that without using a solid stop. A good cutting lube is your friend too.

7. Budget36

Budget36

There’s cutters and stones. Can a stone be used by hand? I don’t know, but never had the juevos to do the with a stone at 10k RPMs.
    Seb , I might have what you can use, will take a few days for me to make sure I have the cutters for your seats but also need the valve diameter to know if I have the proper Pilot.

Cost? I send the to you, you send them back.

SS327 likes this.
  8. I have always used them by hand.
    A few times I tried to use a machine to rotate them I have gotten chatter no matter how far I slowed it down. Eventually I did manage to slow it down to hand speed. So I have used hand since the 1970s when I first became aware of the "new thing" neway cutters.

The dozens and dozens I have done were always by hand. (if I count the die grinder a hand tool)
    I think a Neway cutter is more accurate by hand anyway.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  9. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

I think the Neway cutters are designed to be turned slowly, by hand, I have a few in smaller sizes that I use on old Brit bikes, and they came with a tee-handle to rotate by hand. A little cutting oil helps, too...

10. I’ve also done a ton of them by hand with Neway cutters. I would ditch the adjustable pilot and buy the correct size solid pilot but that’s a personal preference.

saltflats likes this.
  11. Only by hand. Unless you have a machine that turns really slow. If it were a 305 head you were cutting I would say use a zoomer and if you screw up get another head. But you are cutting something that cannot be replaced.

By hand only is your best bet.

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Thank you for the offer. Valves are 1.170 Int. [.313 stem] and 1.050 Exh. [.312 stem].

13. flatjack

flatjack

I have the Neway motor and have never had a problem.

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

At what rpm does the motor run? Pic?