Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Really Knows It's Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zettle Bros., Sep 14, 2006.

1. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Just got the resent issue of Hot Rod Magazine. Was reading Freiburger's editorial on "Inspirations". Never knew that Arnie "The Farmer" Beswick had a 1965 GTO, always thought it was a '64. At the end of the editorial he says and I quote "Meanwhile, we'd like to see your insiprations played out in sheetmetal. Show us what you got." Well we have, even had them say that they would be interested in doing a article on the GTO, but then I get lame excuses why they won't do anything. Guess I should live in Caifornia, then maybe something would happen. Sorry for the rant.

2. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

3. 392_hemi

392_hemi

The folks at Hot Rod must either be lazy or stupid, because the Zettle Bros. car is first class.

4. Put a Tiger in your tank.......

[​IMG]

J:D el

5. bullicious

bullicious
    from NW

Yeah looks like a 65 to me :rolleyes: Have this as my desktop image for a long time before we bought our 64!

[​IMG]

6. raffman

raffman

Mike if your interested in Arnie's cars you should check out Beeonvideo , he has video and interviews of "the Farmer"

7. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

I guess there are no writers and photographers in your part of the Earth? It's a hard magazine to write for, as their idea of what is "hot" and what is a "rod" go far from the mark. You have to know what drives 15 year old kids to understand their market. You have to drop a lot of names to make sure the advertisers come out on top.

8. Cshabang

Cshabang

ok...so I know I make mistakes all the time....Freiburger can't..now before you bash on me...I just think a typo is something I need not worry about...there are bigger problems not only in my life, but on this globe we're spinnin around on...haha-My 2 cents....

9. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Actually, Freiberger is making a lot of mistakes these days. At least when it comes to HRM's coverage. As for the photos, the b&w one is a '64 with the headlights side by side. The Zettle Bros. car is a '65 with the headlights one on top of the other.

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

It will not do you any good to live in Calif.

11. MTP

MTP

I know Freiburger, he is a real car guy (unlike many in the business). Cut him a little slack, he is good for the hobby/lifestyle. He has salvaged some magazine titles that were previously in the toilet... He is spreading himself pretty thin these days with all he has taken on so some errors ought to be forgiveable..

-Chris
    www.mtpturbo.com

12. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I can only see two things wrong with that GTO,first is it isn't parked in my driveway, and second is it's not parked in my driveway.(or did I mention that already?)

Most of the magazines I see are so bogus they resemble MAD magazine.

13. Hellfish

Hellfish

yeah, and it leaks all sorts of fluids like REAL race cars, right guys? :D

how's the altered coming along?

14. Appleseed

Appleseed

Funny I was thinking the same thing as I was reading the editorial last night.

15. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

Freiburger's a good human and a real car guy. I'm sorry that he misidentified a Pontiac. Wayno

16. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Write them AGAIN and make them eat their words.

17. 5window

5window

"Them them again",again? Seriously,I think Freiburger's done a really good job turning HotRod around-they used to cover vans! And you can get it for $10 a year. I am willing to cut them some slack,but I do like to know if something's a typo or error if it's done in the spirit of spreading the correct knowledge.
    As for the ZB GTO, I'd like to see an article,too.You guys should contact them again,maybe even write it up yourselves to start the ball rolling. I bet they have a lot of cars they'd like to cover,especially since the GTO is so popular right now. Now if it was a Rambler...

18. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Yeah, yeah, I typed too fast.

I don't think the mags actively seek out cars outside California to feature. They have to be somewhere, happen along it at a show and shoot it that weekend. Maybe some of the shooters can correct me if I'm wrong. That's the problem with the zettles car. It's not been anywhere around here that they have been.

For the record I love Hot Rod, it is awesome these days and I am a subscriber through 2013 (how I have no idea).

19. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Power Tour almost always runs through the Midwest. If something caught their eye on it, they would do a feature.

20. Spridle

Spridle

21. Spridle

Spridle

no link all pic

22. RodLand

RodLand

For the record I love Hot Rod, it is awesome these days and I am a subscriber through 2013 (how I have no idea).

I know! You get a bill in the mail every time you get a mag. They don't say what mag. on the envelope, it's just a publishing co., so the Wife sends them a check. I'm good through 2010 on Hot Rod and 2011 on another name brand mag.

23. beatnik

beatnik

Maybe it's just a typo or the wrong picture. He did race a lot of different cars including 1966 which to most is just like a 1965.

The magazine's owned by corporation. I'm sure there doing the best they can, hell the last time I subscribed it was like $9.95 for two years. I'm suprised they can even afford to print in color.

Gus

Attached Files:

24. HRM is better than it has ever been...

Sam.

25. I gotta agree with that!!

Joel

26. I gave up on Hot Rod many years ago - I will admit though it looks like they are trying to do better over the last couple of years. If I were to wave a magic wand - I would simply put the name HOT ROD on Street Rodder & then add in some early 60's drag cars (like the Pontiac that got this post started)...Then it would be like it was 40 years ago. :D Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy

27. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

This is how the story unfolds. We sent a pic and small article of the GTO to Reader's Rides. They published it in the mag. "Cool" we thought. Then figured this would probably be the closest we'd ever get of having a full article in Hot Rod. Then about 2 months later I get a E-mail from Rob Kinnan saying there has been alot of write ins about your car and that they wanted to do a feature article on it. "Wow" we thought, a feature article. Then no word back. I sent more pics, wrote more about the interworkings of the car and asked them how the schudule looked. At one point Rob wanted the car in with the straight axle article along with Grocho's Vette, but he couldn't remember if the GTO was a straight axle or not. So I sent more pics and then he says "Sorry I didn't get a hold of you guys sooner it just went to print. Then he was wondering if we could set a time to meet with a photographer friend of his out of Detroit that would take pics of the car. "No problem" anytime would be fine. Then we heard nothing back. So now just a few weeks ago we asked if I could meet them down at Cordova for Drag Week, then they could take some pics. Rob said "No they would be too busy". Understandable, we thought. Then he also said " Besides, we've done way to many gassers and older hot rods lately". Freiburger has also e-mailed us a couple times with excuses. I know people make mistakes, it's human nature. But I figure if your writing for a car magazine you might be up on your cars and if you weren't a fan of Ponchos you'd go to someone in the complex that was and ask them before it went to print. By the way that photo of the "Mystery Tornado" was taken in front of Spencer Knox's garage in Morrison, IL. Spencer was chief machanic for Arnie at the time.

28. tooslow54

tooslow54

My $.02: Rob is a good guy and wouldn't intentionally mislead you. I know him well. It could very well have been timing. I have noticed they have been covering a lot of gassers and "old cars" lately and they could have just been overwhelmed. Be proud of the fact that they expressed a ton of interest, most never receive that. Also remember that they arent the only 2 guys writing for that mag, they have staff editors and freelancers that they get stories from.

Oh yeah, you car looks awesome.

29. Everybody makes mistakes. You see them in everything if you read enough. While I love Rodders Journal, there's been mistakes in it also, no big deal. As far as Hot Rod, that's one kick-ass magazine now. They're covering wide ranges of stuff and doing a fine job in my opinion.