Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Jeep Rod" Photoshop Concept

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zumo, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zumo

Zumo

I posted this in the Friday Art post but I thought I would give it it's own thread. I also placed it on my site and pasted the text from there here:

[​IMG]

It is something that has been in my head a loooong time. I just can't keep it in anymore. It's a concept I have for what I call "JeepRod". It's basically a Jeep body on a scratch built frame, unless I could find a car the would suffice. The render is a rough render but I think it get my point across. The motor could be anything from a vintage 4 cylinder, Flathead or Hemi. The one pictured is a small block v8. I would keep everything military themed. Gauges similar to those from WWII Aircraft and any other thing I could find that would fit.

2. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

there was an old jeep w/ a sbc at goodguys in desmoines thats perty cool is more of the pro street look tho had an army helmet for the air cleaner adn would sure break the tires loose easy

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

It needs kidney bean back wheels painted the green.

4. Neverdunn 51

Neverdunn 51
    from Flint, MI

Bro I've had a similar vision for so many years it's scary. Mine is just like yours for suspension, stance, and wheels and whatnot, but my vision is to use a full bodied right hand driving postal jeep with a chopped top, a straight 6 motor, and a yellow light onthe top.

Thank you for the photoshop.

5. Zumo

Zumo

I also have thought about Artillery wheels too all the way around.

6. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Yes the artillery wheels would be cool but in 16's.

7. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

I think it's a work of art ole boy. I really like it, sans shovels. I wish I had one artistic bone in my body.

8. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear

I like it.

I'd stretch the tub though (graft in some from a donor), and lose the flatfenders. When grafting, you could lose the wheelwells in the back, and have room for gear, or a backseat.

If you have clearance issues when turning, you can pull a couple of slats out of that grille relatively easy, and still keep the 'Jeep' look.

As narrow as those tubs are, you could likely find a Dana 70, 14 Bolt from a dually for that width, or a 9" out of a van might even be wide enough with a shallow backspacing.

That'd be a cool use of an old CJ3 or M38

9. TINGLER

TINGLER

My show car sensibilities like it.

One that I've thought about is a jeep like that only done "gasser" style.

Of course it wouldn't be a race car so it would be FAKE. :D

No roll cage or anything.....

Imagine the same jeep as you posted with the slicks tucked under the body more in the back.

The front axle where its supposed to go or maybe 3" forward with one hell of a nose up stance.

Front wheels would have to be super skinny drag spokes.

Fenderwell headers....blower....or stacks....

....etc.

You get the picture.

Has everyone gone Jeep crazy around here?
    :D

10. KY Boy

KY Boy

you and this guy should get along real good!!! http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131380

Kentucky...are you out there? Have you seen this post?

11. Zumo

Zumo

I could see that as well. Postal Jeep Rod would be awesome. The same concept could be applied.

12. Zumo

Zumo

I was thinking I would have to narrow the tub a little to get a rearend the would work, didn't think about a duall rear. I also would think I would have to lose the fenders and maybe pull th front wheels a little more forward so I could turn the bastard.

13. greatbg

greatbg

Holy shit:eek: I want one. I wonder if it would work with the spare model A frame I have. Please don't be pissed if I blatantly steal this Idea;) Your a genius. Or just crazy, the world may never know.

But seriously, that jeep is awesome looking. Can't wait to see it come together. Good luck.
    And I kinda dig the military spec. Hallibrands on the front.

14. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Needs a machine gun!!!:D

I like it!!

15. loogy

loogy

I never would have thought of building a four link out a shovel and an axe.

16. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

HA HA. i love it... i had an old flat fender Willys Jepp year and years ago and i wanted to build a hot rod out of it. i had dreams of building a tube chassis (2wd) and stuffing in a SBC. i ended up selling it to some 4x4 guy though.

17. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

I knew a guy in the early 80's who had two of the scariest rides in town. One was a postal jeep with a tunnel rammed 454 4-speed. Holy shit it was scary fast...The other was a 454 Gremlin..ugly little car, but really fast.......

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Didnt someone run a jeep in the early 70s right at the end of the gasser era? I seem to remember seeing it??........

19. WeedsSpeed

WeedsSpeed
    from Kansas

Yah there were quite a few gasser jeeps back in the day i remember watching one run when i was a kid.

20. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

ive seen rods styled like that, but never a full on jeep..

could be done and somewhat cheap/..

go for it man!

21. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I think they were outlawed for being too crazy.
    Many of 'em became 'match' racers.

22. kentucky

kentucky

Cool concept but jeeps are way to much fun to bomb around the woods in to cut one up for street use :D

They did make 2wd Dispatch Jeeps before the postal jeeps came out though. They were basically CJ3A's except they were 2wd.

23. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

found the pic and i few more old thread

Attached Files:

24. Zumo

Zumo

25. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

we had a guy running around denver in a glass bodied jeep with a teardrop snorkle. 454, slammed on the ground in pro-street style, tubbed, 8-71 blower, and a full cage. Watched him run a mid 10 at the strip once. squirrly and very cool.

26. AHotRod

AHotRod

Very neat idea !

Hmmmmm....those are my headers, front axle assembly and front wheels and tires on there :)

27. Zumo

Zumo

You noticed! Haha! If the whole front end of your car comes up missin don't look at me. :D

28. Spaulding

Spaulding
    from Wichita

How 'bout some bomber seats? Crosshair hood ornament? Very cool man!

29. Go Devil

Go Devil

I'm way ahead of you:0)
    I'll try to get some photos.
    She is still under major construction, but is coming together as this:
    The front suspension is the same as you have drawn, with the rear suspension transverse as well.
    I am using the original frame and drive train. The transverse spring in the rear allows the removal of almost 2' of frame and rear cross member.
    If you cut the hood hinge section out of the cowl the body will set on the rails in between the tires.
    The only thing that looks 'Jeep' now is the cowl side and the drivers opening.
    The other give away is the 4 banger that has Jeep cast into the head.
    It is now a one seater unless I add a seat for a tail gunner.
    My model a rims bolt right up to the rear 41.
    Issues I am having are steering, gear shift in the crotch, and looking for 5 lug spindle and drums for the front.
    The nice part about the DJ's over the CJ's is that they are geared a bit higher, don't have the weight of a live front axle and transfer case. They were also fitted with a better head and carb.
    I am anxious to see how she gets down the road with the skinny model a tires.

30. Zumo

Zumo

That is awesome. I would love to see pics or your progress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.