Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2023 AMBR Award Contenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The stripes makes that car though… without them, it’s just another really nice roadster.

2. #5 for me. I dig the panel pinstriping, plus the 4-71 blown small block hiding under the hood, just puts it over the top for me.

[​IMG]

3. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sometimes the least subtle things like pin stripes can make it / take it......
    In this case works only with black and white.
    Like a Black Tux with a Black Shirt with White Pinstripes.
    Not too much but just enough.
    Take the hood as a example...louvers look great but I've seen louvers with each louver have a pinstripe running up and down.
    In this case - no louver pinstripes - as it would be too much if there was.
    That's just light reflecting on the louvers.

Just right.

IMHO

4. Rand Man

Rand Man

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It’s like a slightly restrained McMullen roadster of course I like it

6. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Blues, thanks for startn this thread. I'm partial to #5 also!

Blues4U likes this.
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

funny. I was thinking the same thing, googled it for a fresh perspective and then read your post all in about 10 seconds...

shortypu and Tim like this.
  8. Fordors

Fordors

It looks even better in this shot, thanks for posting that @Rand Man . Along with photo #1 these two cars are the most traditional in the whole lineup.
    And you guys are slipping, nobody critiqued the big wheels on some of the cars.

9. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

BORING !!!! My shop is 2 blocks away, I won't be attending, these shows are for people with deep pockets and huge egos. Long live traditional cars built with rare OLD original parts and early speed equipment.

Lil 32 and Rand Man like this.
  10. Clydesdale

Clydesdale

in my opinion, some smart looking cars there, some cool details.

'Beautiful' though?.........none of them

chryslerfan55, X-cpe and Blues4U like this.
  11. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All cool cars , but the massive rears and small front tyres are too cartoony and domineering for my taste, maybe its the trend or me being old fashioned??#4 may not be a top contender but the rubber bias is much more contemporary . Huge by huge is not better.

HellsHotRods, Blues4U and Al Consoli like this.
  12. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice car dig the panel pin stripping , but way too dominating in wheel tire bias, its just not cohesive , read cartoon.
    QUOTE="Blues4U, post: 14756870, member: 273585"]I know this one is a favorite:
    [​IMG]
    And I do dig the stance, the pie crust cheaters, the big n littles, bitchin car, but those stripes, I don't know.... Makes me think of this:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sorry, but it's true...[/QUOTE]

13. We all know from previous contenders/winners the quality is second to none.
    So, it becomes a matter of personal taste.
    Congratulations to all contenders who received recognition for all of their efforts.

X-cpe, Blues4U and Just Gary like this.
  14. Anderson

Anderson

Man there is a lot of weird shit going on this year regarding personal choices on cars, particularly paint related. But the whole car is their personal choice really, and it sure does get tiring being concerned with picking them apart. So yeah, the Swillco built ‘32 has my vote, pinstripes and all. For the record, I find the wheel and tire combo and stance to be dead nuts perfect.

Can we confirm that these are all the cars in the running? Seems like there oughta be a couple more.

15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

To each his own.
    I get it, but like weekly car cruise in's where I've seen all the cars before, I go to spend time my car buddies which is a hell of a lot more important.

Hell - go enjoy with your friends....... ( if you have any :) )

16. Mmmmm. Huge egos and deep pockets.
    Several levels and scales to that
    From parking lot cruisers to big name shows.
    keeps shops in business.

Im a big fan

I’m digging the pin stripes. Took a couple more pics. One of those cars I’d probably go back and look at a couple times.

chryslerfan55 and Blues4U like this.
  17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I struggle a little with this, at least as far as the AMBR goes, although we know there are exceptions. But it does seem to have gotten a bit formulaic and the formula begins with a ton of money. I have no problem with big egos, hell ambition is a gift.

But don’t dismiss the entire show because of any Little Person complex, a lot of us live vicariously through the great GNRS threads every year.

18. sweetdick2

sweetdick2
    from new jersey

I don't know, none of them knock my socks off.

19. 415EA5B9-D948-4206-9A00-F1D9258AE480.jpeg I want to see more of this one!

The panel lines are reminiscent of the McMullen roadster. Dig it!

20. Can never go home again.
    ala kart4.jpg

21. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

What the pinstripes say to me is “Look, my car has a door. And door hinges. And a hood. And…And..

metlmunchr, krusty40 and Blues4U like this.
  22. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll pick a couple:
    I really like this one - I think it has a cool profile, and since I used to have a '27 T roadster and this one looks somewhat '26-27 "T" based...... :rolleyes:

328332639_728054902043378_3465722102375590094_n.jpg

But my favorite, like a lot of you have already said, would be this one:
    328631673_1001410714153152_5293796153416335994_n.jpg
    Did I see a pic of the car somewhere that showed a Minnesota license plate on the back? Anyone from the North Star State confirm? More info?
    Bottom line, it's all good. Fun to see this stuff and I would like to get there in person someday. Thanks for posting.

23. Clydesdale

Clydesdale

wheel.jpg

those centre caps (Plates!!!) kill it for me, soooo ugly

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ya know the guys that hate when you pull fenders, chop a top, or swap in a different brand motor? This is the thread they click.

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

#5 for me all the way. Scott is in the car club I belong to, the Spartans. He has been building this car for years. It was striped by my pal Mike Iverson . he is a tremendous artist and I know what he said when he panel striped my trike "come on man, let me do something artistic"... I didn't and he ended up liking it. I love the panel stripes on the 32 here, you guys should see the frame and the bottom of the car. Also you should see the bitchin repop Heddman headers made by Don Groff... I hope number 5 wins, scott has a set of chromed wheels and wide whites for this car, I think it looks better with those myself..

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  26. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sub Quote
    You're just that kind of guy....

chryslerfan55 and Moriarity like this.
  27. Favorite...#5 Black one with the panel pinstripes. #2, #3 are really sweet!!!
    Don't care for the all black wheels on the grey one, and wheels on the red one, well the whole car just looks bland.
    Other than that, I like the rest. Al least there isn't any more OVER BUILT Streetrods.

chryslerfan55 and Blues4U like this.
  28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yeah stuck in a rut

chryslerfan55 and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  29. WTF!!!! Big n Littles is as Traditional as you can get! Go eat something. I think you're looking at theses on an empty stomach. hahaha