Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Just A Big Model (T)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by BigJoeArt, Oct 4, 2022.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Purple boogers for months lol. Gonna call ya Grimace

drdave, Sancho and BigJoeArt like this.
  2. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

3. Wow! Looking great and you sure are making me feel like a slacker.

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Painting just the outside of the rails makes that beefy frame read a lot lighter with all the stuff on it a lot better than I would have thought

brEad, Just Gary, Phillips and 4 others like this.
  5. Anderson

Anderson

Son of a gun!

BigJoeArt likes this.
  6. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

another productive night, another coupe things off the list.

the battery cable and fuel line are now routed down the passenger side framerail,
    I placed in some of the electrical components, and made a board to mount my electronics too.
    I'm excited to start wiring things up.
    I also mounted my fuel pump, and bent the hard lines to fit, I have yet to build the sump onto the tank, so I'm probably just gonna make it match the line on the output.
    also note everything is clamped higher than the frame.
    also started mocking up brake parts, and found out my brake hoses are a little short.
    a quick order to the Epay and they are on the way.

guthriesmith, drdave and Sancho like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good!

1: is the hole where the fuel line passes threw the metal by the pump grommeted? Hard to see how small/big the hole is

2: is the front brake line pass threw the frame the long ones for a boxed frame or did you run the line inside the frame?

keep on truckin man :)

Outback likes this.
  8. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

the line has rubber tape wrapped around it.

Man, I had to read this like 10 times to figure out what your talking about, and I'm still not sure.
    I'm not using a bulkhead type fitting if that what your asking..
    the frame isn't boxed in that area, but it is super thick, so I've modified the brake line where the outside C clip mounts, and made it mount deeper, and placed the normal clip on the inside.
    once I get the new lines, I'll try to remember to take photos of the process.

It's all so that you cant see the hard line or fitting, and its not a dumb big goofy tab welded on as an afterthought.

Outback and Sancho like this.
  9. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That color is going to be great !- reminiscent of the Magic Muffler Fiat.

Strange question - is / was there a chopped C-10 in your family?

stanlow69, guthriesmith and BigJoeArt like this.
  10. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

11. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I went to school in M'ville MANY years ago, used to see a classy black chopped Chevy once in a while walking to class! Stuck out amongst the beaters and econoboxes near campus for sure. Figured anyone who chops a bug that low and drives it everywhere has some sort of hereditary issue!

Man that truck still looks excellent!

12. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

haha man, that must have been a LONG time ago. dad hasn't lived on that side of town since the 80's

what a small world.

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You answered the question. I re wrote that a few times and it was just as confusing as the first time if you didn’t already know what I was talking about.

drdave, Outback and BigJoeArt like this.
  14. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

That is looking great mate!

drdave and BigJoeArt like this.
  15. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

16. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

17. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

18. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

brEad, Sancho, guthriesmith and 3 others like this.
  19. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Lots of thought has gone into this little car, you have done well to jam everything into a tight space!

BigJoeArt likes this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That brake light switch placement is a favorite of mine. Which switch are you using?

BigJoeArt likes this.
  21. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

thanks, the switch is from speedway, but is a generic gm style switch. I think the t coupe had a c10 truck one that was near identical.

Sancho likes this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Cool. Ive always seen the GM
    One used, I think there’s also an Izuzu <- spl? One as well. I think one may be the opposite of the other. One turns the light on when it’s pressed, one turns the light in when it’s not pressed.

Outback likes this.
  23. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

yeah this one is on when released.

Outback and Tim like this.
  24. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

well in this next episode of "roller coaster ride" I took apart my stock 350.
    we were impressed with how clean it was, and how nice all the journals and bearings looked,but then I started looking at the outside of the main bearings . . .
    apparently this was a thing that GM did when cranks were a mite bit sloppy.
    kinda screws up my cheap, no machine work, rebuild.
    I have a couple options,
    the best one seems to be use the motor im buying off a buddy for my next project, and drive it till this motor is done.

Sancho and drdave like this.
  25. Anderson

Anderson

I’m sure you have thought about it, but having the crank ground to standard or .010 under shouldn’t cost much. And if you’re buying bearings anyway…

Tman likes this.
  26. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

yeah, its more of a time constraint, I want to have this thing running at the end of the month, and the one guy that is around here is slower than molasses.

but today's good news was a buddy coming up with a 305, that has a good standard crank in it. it also has a couple other parts that im gonna steal for this motor, so the beat goes on and the plan to have this motor run soon is back on track.

Sancho, Outback, guthriesmith and 2 others like this.
  27. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

Now that i know this motor is gonna happen again, I went forward with a little bit of cleaning it up...
    it started with some cutting..
    then I started grinding...
    then a little on the other side..
    then the water pump...
    not perfect, but good enough.
    all mocked up and nowhere to go.

once I knew we were gonna use this later block without the machining done for the fuel pump,
    I knew I was gonna have to cut it off to make it look right. its gonna look good once its painted up.

Another detail for the 1% that will notice.

brEad, Sancho, drdave and 2 others like this.
  28. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

I wanted something a little less dirty to work on today, since I was in and out of the shop all day.

so wiring it is!

Disclaimer: I love wiring, its one of my favorite parts of building a car. It unlocks a certain part of my brain and allows me to be ridiculously anal about things. I also love zip ties. I use them by the hundreds. my bug has a zip tie every 2" on any exposed wiring. its still as tight today as the day I finished it.

anyway, heres where I started, placing all the wires for 12v switched power and ground.
    I also had started sorting out the wiring to the lights in the 4 gauges that have lights, and the switch so I can shut them off while driving at night. (something I have found helps keep eye fatigue at bay during long night drives)

I also dug into my wiring stash to a harness from a fiat x19 that a buddy had given me. it has some really nice runs of odd color wires.

it had to get worse before it got better,

but once its done, its really pretty.
    I installed and removed the dash a half dozen times fitting wires, and placed, and removed, and replaced, all the zip ties at least twice, since you can never get all the wires right on the first go.

Tomorrow it will be back to work on the body, getting more things sorted.

Sancho, drdave, Outback and 1 other person like this.
  29. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Neat wiring is a blessing for whoever goes in there next! The other tool I love is a pair of flush cut side cutters, they stop you from getting cut on all of the jagged edges of cut ends. If that makes sense.

BigJoeArt likes this.
  30. I got my flush cut side cutter at Harbor Freight. It was worth the small investment.

Outback and BigJoeArt like this.