Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Getting Early Car Titled In Mass (No VIN)?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55Green, Jan 31, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 55Green

55Green

Curious if anyone has built a '30s rod from just a body with no vin or numbers to start with and actually got it titled & registered in Mass? I'd like to start a long term project from ground up with just an old body. Probably build my own frame, etc.

2. oldolds

oldolds

Hmm. Whatever anyone tells you about how they did it yesterday will be different than what it takes to do it today. And tomorrow will probably be different. So long term project like that will be in question because of changes in laws. If you do this keep all the receipts you get. Get extras if you can. lol The states want a sales tax trail. If you get a title get it put in your name right away. That way it is yours. Get it done as quick as you can because "maybe" sooner than we think cars as we know them may not be on the road. I am saying MAYBE.

3. 55Green

55Green

I guess my question is can you get an early rod titled in Mass if it doesn't have a vin / body number or previous title?

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need to call or visit the RMV, and ask the question there.

Unless there is someone here that is a current expert in this process in Massachusetts, you are likely to only get wrong answers here.

In general, under the laws of most states, if what you have does not have a VIN/serial number/body number, it is NOT A VEHICLE until it has been issued one.

Many states have a process for building a vehicle from scratch. All states that do have different criteria.

You must be prepared to hear the news that this is indeed not possible, or too onerous to do.

I cannot say for sure, but be ready.

jim snow and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. 5window

5window

6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

7. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

For legal matters contact your states motor vehicle department.

XXL__ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.