Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Accidentally Bought a 40 Merc Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by guthriesmith, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Acres

Acres
    from Sweden

It came to mind, arent they chopping a Merc in the magazine Rod & Kulture in a "how to" kind of article?
    I couldnt find the magazine right now but im sure someone know wich one im thinking of

2. Hmm...that would be good to know! I need to do some looking for that. Trying to do all the research I can on both styles and any tips that make it easier. I know it’s only metal, but I would rather not make myself any extra work that I can avoid. :D

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

I stopped by to drop Jeff's flathead and we were talking about how ugly the original roofline is. The first guy that successfully chopped one is a hero.

4. Acres

Acres
    from Sweden

Found it, Gene Winfield is chopping a 40 Merc, Rod & Kulture issue 21

5. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think Gene will be at Tulsa at Starbirds. Maybe You could invite him to Your shop for some hands on shop time

6. I needed to go to a funeral in Tulsa today so picked up a couple wheels from @poco to get rid of the ugly chrome mods and mud tires while I was in his neighborhood. Also, picked up a spare dash and gauges from a friend of @okiedokie that he put me in contact with. So good to have friends in this hobby. Little by little...

8F736F8F-1728-4C45-A7CB-D940864F3BA8.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    bchctybob, Sancho, Squablow and 11 others like this.
  7. Also don’t think I ever mentioned that I found some rear skirts. One of my best friends came by the other night and mentioned he had some. :cool:

Squablow, winduptoy, drdave and 9 others like this.
  8. junkman8888

junkman8888

Street Rodder Sept and Oct 1999 has a how-two on chopping a '40 Merc, happy hunting.

9. Hmm...seems to be plenty of those available on that auction site. You are sure those are the issues? None of the descriptions I see show a table of contents and the covers don’t mention it. Likely worth a gamble but just wondering if you have them and have seen the articles.

winduptoy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. junkman8888

junkman8888

Sept-Oct 1999 Street Rodder, chop was done by Bill Hines. Have the article copied and put in a ring binder.

Also, there have been one or two of those Mercs chopped here on the Hamb, might want to look them up.

winduptoy, Okie Pete, drdave and 2 others like this.
  11. winduptoy, Okie Pete and drdave like this.
  12. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a full set of 5 Z28 wheels if it helps.;):p:cool:

Okie Pete, drdave and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. I’m fixing to have two more you could have. :D

winduptoy, Okie Pete and drdave like this.
  14. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had for probably twenty years and many swap meets...not a hot item. :cool:

Okie Pete, drdave and guthriesmith like this.
  15. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Z wheels, day are not selling, no?

16. Here's the one I built 25 years ago. Jack Walker now owns it.

drdave likes this.
  17. Hey David! I don’t think the picture loaded but I know I would love to see it. :cool:

18. desotot

desotot

I tried searching a 40 merc chop on the hamb but couldn't find a thread. There is a little bit on utube.I would love to do one but will have to settle for the 2 49 merc projects I have down at the shop. I will be watching to see how yours progresses. No pressure........well maybe a little. I love the chopped 40 mercs .

winduptoy, Okie Pete, drdave and 2 others like this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

One of my friends has chopped a couple of them if you need yet another brain to pick about them :)

20. IMG_20211217_0001.jpg

bchctybob, Sancho, just Matt and 16 others like this.
  21. That’s kool David! Did you chop it? I may need to talk to you about that. :cool:

22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sweet! Now that's making a swan from a duckling if I ever saw it! That's a REAL custom right there!

23. No I didn't chop it. A friend of mine did the chop and molded the fenders about 40 years ago. He also had collected some mighty fine parts . It then sat in a barn for about 12 or more years and I finally talked him out of it and finished it about 25 years ago. His name was Lou Noble. When I showed it to him , he couldn't stop smiling. Here's a picture of us. I'm on the left. IMG_20211217_0004.jpg when I showed it to him.

bchctybob, Kage, just Matt and 13 others like this.
  24. Yep, that is about as good as they get!

Well, rearranged the shop a bit today and stuffed the Merc back in the corner until I can get some work done on a few other cars. May be a while before any updates other than getting some wheels and tires swapped out soon.

CFDD8CBE-B4BC-47AE-97D6-05953C7EB2DB.jpeg

Kage, Sancho, Stock Racer and 7 others like this.
  25. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

No hood I guess?

guthriesmith likes this.
  26. Not yet. It wouldn’t fit in my wife’s minivan like I hoped it would. :oops: I guess I am going to have to drive a truck over sometime.

TrailerTrashToo and Okie Pete like this.
  27. alchemy

alchemy

28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You are mistaken. Dave`s Merc is owned by Jack Walker from Missouri. It is not in California. He is winning a boat load of trophys with it. It won The Dave Crook, Harry Bradley award this past year in Indy at the Custom Car Revival. A couple years ago, it won The Crystal Award from John D Agostino.

Sancho, jim snow, drdave and 2 others like this.
  29. alchemy

alchemy

089AE58B-0685-4800-B4D4-8AA4A242085A.jpeg

Ok, I thought this was it. Very nice car anyway, and exactly like I’d build one.

Kage, Sancho, winduptoy and 6 others like this.