Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who can ID these vintage Ford backing plates ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34 GAZ, Jan 23, 2023.

1. I,ve had these for donkeys years and came across them again last week. Two front, two rear. I have compared them to dozens of Lincoln pics and F100 pics but can,t make a 100% positive ID. They fit perfectly on my Ford wide-five drums & round spindles and my 1940/48 Ford drums and square spindles. . They also fit on my Ford banjo rear axles. The brake cylinder has two bolts and is much smaller than the 40/48 brake cylinder. Brake cylinder hole does not have the two little cutouts like a F100. Also no little slot below for the adjustment ratchet . Take a look. While your here, how about the two brake drums that just happen to have the same size as all the above as well :confused: Small brake cylinder belongs on these plates.
    101_4594.JPG 101_4598.JPG 101_4596.JPG 101_4599.JPG 101_4601.JPG 101_4609.JPG 101_4604.JPG

2. alchemy

alchemy

They take a shoe like a US 39-42 Ford brake. The bottom anchors are the offset stud kind like our 39-42. The drums look like they had inside hubs, which is like our 40-42 drums.

I don't know the reason you would have a whole different stamping over there to do the same job, so I bet there is some little difference that's not visible to the naked eye that requires it. Maybe the offset of shoe to spindle is different?

31Apickup and 34 GAZ like this.
  3. Any stampings on them?

I don't think I have ever had a juice brake Ford backing plate that was not marked. Either Ford script and location on the Lockheed plates or F series plates stamped Bendix with a side designation or with a Ford script/KH stamp.

Other manufacturers used Lockheed brakes too; but it seems odd that another brands product would match up to a Ford spindle and interface with a Ford hub/drum.

34 GAZ likes this.
  4. Using a magnifying glass no visible stampings. I wonder if the backing plates are from a French Matford . That was a sister to Ford and used the V860 and the wide fives and banjo rear and front axle. Car was just a little smaller.

Matford 4.jpg Matford cabrio 2.jpg

rusty valley and RICH B like this.

5. Budget36

Budget36

I’d thought about a Pilot (I have a chassis out back) but the drums didn’t appear to be “wide 5” and since you had 4 backing plates, I assumed front and rear. The rears were mechanical on the Pilots. Could be someone modified the drums, etc. if you can wait a few days till I’m off work, I can head out back where the chassis is and get a rough center to center spacing on the WC bolts on it, and also the ‘46-48 bolt spacing to compare.
    Shoot me a PM at the end of the week to remind me if you need the information.

34 GAZ and rusty valley like this.
  6. Yes , i knew the rears were mechanical on the Pilot . Probably what threw me off as these have a correct opening with dimples for the brake cylinder and a fixture for handbrake cable..

seb fontana likes this.