Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford Flat head V8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jon Dawe, Jan 18, 2023.

1. Jon Dawe

Jon Dawe

Hello everyone.
    I've been given a (see what you can find out job) here at work.

I'm new here, please forgive me if this post/request is in the wrong place..
    I teach at Texas State Technical College. Specifically Automotive Engine Repair.

I have in my classroom, just the block of a first generation 32-34 or something like that Ford Flathead V8. It's a long story, it was left by a guy years ago, and I just can't bear to throw it away.

I was asked to find enough parts to assemble a display, that can be painted and put in the hall, along with a placard with a brief story about the Ford Flathead V8.

So, I need basically components enough to make a complete engine. Except for the valves, cam, pistons, and rods.

I would also like to find a pair of water pumps, and a generator so I can put a belt on it.

I know parts for the first generation are very scarce. So, I'm thinking about going with a later version, 40's early 50's. I realize that there are some changes with different years, so I will need parts to assemble a visually complete engine.

There is no money for this project. So, I have my hand out. Anyone have any Flathead parts laying around? A cracked block, some warped beyond milling heads, some locked up or leaking water pumps, a beyond salvage crank etc.

Thanks,

Jon

2. Put on a helmet, I'm sure you're about to get hammered with a lot of help! If I had one I'd send it your way. Welcome to the HAMB!

Spooky likes this.
  3. Jon Dawe

Jon Dawe

I hope so. This is a way back burner project, but I would like to see it happen.
    I was in Beattyville and Booneville KY this past weekend visiting the daughter and granddaughters

Jon.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Jon,
    Please attach a picture of this engine so we can be sure you have an early block.

Spooky and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.

5. Jon Dawe

Jon Dawe

Pete,
    I can't get to it right this second. I know it has a single piece water pump mount on the front, and that the water pumps screw in. It is also has 17 stud heads. If you need more than that, I will have to get back with you.

Jon

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

That sounds more like a V8-60. It's a smaller flathead made from 1937-40.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    Spooky and rusty valley like this.
  7. Jon, carefull, flatheads are addictive, Next you will be searching for the bigger flathead V8 and after that the V12 flathead, :D

Flathead Dave and Spooky like this.
  8. Jon Dawe

Jon Dawe

Chuckling, I went through my flat head phase, 30 years ago. Got out of it, sold everything, and moved on. Still love them, have built a couple and helped build a few more over the years.

As I said in my first post, I'm just trying to put together a visually complete mock up for the students to look at. WE have a Inline 6 OHC Pontiac engine we are going to do the same thing with.

Jon

9. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Probably got abandoned because of cracks in the block.
    Since it's going to be a static display, it would be cheaper and easier to just find a complete flathead that you can pressure wash and sandblast and paint without taking it apart except for the carb, fuel pump and distributor. You could also try Craig'slist looking for someone that tore one apart and had a cracked block and just wants to sell the parts.
    011.jpg

chevyfordman and Spooky like this.
  10. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover