Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Another year and the Great Debate.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stubbsrodandcustom, Jan 17, 2023.

?
  1. Roll the dice......

23.7%
  2. If you have to think about it, don't do it.

44.7%
  3. Wait for the right one to present itself and make you trip and fall.

31.6%
  1. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

If I had enough room I would, but a 2 car garage in the burbs limits what I can do here.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Not that my opinion matters at all, but I have gotten to the point of only wanting to put much effort into something I really want or that has sentimental value. My 56 is similar to yours in that I have now had it long enough that it is a keeper which I would vote the same for your pickup. If you really want a 33 or 34, I would sell the A and work toward that.

3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Then build your next one!

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I spent a lifetime building cars. "Oh you have a dream job..." "Wow this is a labor of love.." Yeah right. Fuck off. Tell that to my S1 L5 disc, my arthritis and more. Stay busy building cars then stand on the sidewalk watching the party with a handful of fuckin cream rinse. GET WHAT YOU WANT. My 39 will never be sold save some tragedy that requires cash. Its mine. I fuckin want it. The end. I coulda been done sooner maybe but I want what I want, I want what most may never see or notice. I don't wanna be the one on the side of the road that needs help. I want it to drive so nice and reliable that it's almost boring. I'm almost there. The worst is behind me, tired of setbacks. If that is where you want to go then sharpen your focus and zero in. Luck? Karma? Well fuck that too, life is choices just like the results. My earlier idea of working up through more valued cars still plays. Laser focus. Look at things as trade bait. It works. Parts or whole cars. I traded for my 39. If this sounds grumpy or sour grapes, no not at all. Reality isn't Snow White and bluebirds all day, it's time, labor, expense, choice, and often not what we perceive from the outside looking in. If you want it, get it. I can't afford to ever sell my 39, and it has almost nothing to do with cash. I need some more coffee...

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I agree, it doesn’t have to be a Ford to be cool and look good. 30’s MoPar coupes look good and are usually cheaper to get into. As they say, dare to be different. Out of the mainstream cars can be harder to find parts for, so start with as complete a unit as possible, maybe a restored stocker, and change what isn’t in your vision.

6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm kind of in the same situation. I was contacted by a club member of the guy that built my A pickup, the guy is interested in getting it back, and "How much do you want for it"? I wasn't looking to sell it, but for the right price I would. I don't have any particular car in mind, but life is short and there are too many cars out there. I'm thinking it might be good to spend the rest of my time on earth owning various different cars for shorter periods of time.

If I was you, and I'm not, but IF I was, I'd throw a cheap and quick paint job on it to get it all 1 color, which would make it easier to sell and if you do it right should bring back more than it cost to paint, and then I'd start hunting down your next project.

7. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

L3-L4 here so I know the feeling all too well. Do what you can when you can and find work around for crawling on the ground all day. Nah you dont sound bad man, Ill buy ya a cup if we are at the same place together.

chryslerfan55 and theHIGHLANDER like this.
  8. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I have thought about that, I have 1 here that I have to scrounge for parts, simple replacement parts are easier to get now but still like jumping through hoops.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Couldn’t find the ad. Wonder if someone here grabbed it. Looked like a good builder. It had the grill, can’t remember about the title.
    Also had the accessory trunk set up.
    Here’s a 2 door. Looks like no doors but has fenders and running boards
    318FCD21-275F-4640-9625-32A1A77E156E.jpeg
    and a gm offering
    E8EA1681-EF82-4018-93CE-08167FCA3DE8.jpeg

10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Buy only what you want. The right body will come along. Just wait and be patient. Took me 3 years to find an affordable body. Now I`m buying all the little and big parts I need. One piece at a time. If we all had lots of money, our garages would be filled will lots of parts and pieces.

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey I love the aesthetics of a coupe, especially a 3W. I'd have to have it pissed off and mean. It would be me and only me. Like a solo seat stripped hog. But my tudor? Friends, another couple, room for Mrs Highlander's stuff for travel, and not too hard to look at. I already know everywhere I go and see a 39 or 40 coupe I'll get the gotta-have-its. Had a 33 3W in hand, last summer. Not enough time in my life to take it where it had to be. Made a little doh ray me too. Took the 39 a rung up on the ladder without a care in the world. That's how this all works, barter, flip, trade, and the best part? You open your network. New faces, new friends, opportunities. "Hey man you know where I can get a flibbity dick dock?" "Yeah, I sold this guy gobble de goop and he had a bunch, lemme give him a call." I do truly love that part of this car life. The dividends are so much more than cash but we all know Elvis is dead and Cash is king. Gotta-have-it. Fuck there it is again:rolleyes: But anyways, a few coffees later, I'm rootin for ya:cool:

12. Let the market help you. Overprice the model A and underprice the 33/34 project and see if it comes together. You know that I like your coupe, but they made lots of them. The A has rb coverage at hot rod showdown, should help to sell it. Goodluck.

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  13. Man, I just helped a guy sell a 34 not too long ago that was a decent deal except it was a Tudor. Anyway, hopefully you can find a good deal on what you are looking for. There are still deals to be had or I wouldn't own any of the cars I have today... :D

14. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Just tossing a idea out there .... While I love the A as it is ... obvious it does not get the same love as the Dodge.
    The A has a lot of room for improvements. Is it possible you could paint it, add some comforts to it ... make it a better car that would sell for more $$ ?

IMHO, Live in Texas, Drive a Dodge truck, own a T.R.O.G. contender ... Living the dream buddy.
    Those 33-34 3 windows are pretty cool.

15. Squablow

Squablow

Tudor makes a nice 3W coupe, but the doors are different and 3W doors could cost as much as the rest of the car. Still a solid possibility if a guy really wants a 3W, but starting with a 4 door and making a 5w is cheaper to start with and easier/requires less rare pieces.

It's only worth doing if you like to do sheet metal work and you're up for a challenge. But for me, that's the only part I really like to do.

16. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Procrastinate long enough and the decision will be made for you. Buddy of mine had 3 '32's and every year he would say he couldn't decide which one to fix so he kept buying parts.
    He died last year and the cars and parts were sold off. Only 61 years old.
    Sell what you have to get what you want. Life's short.

das858, Crusty Chevy, Blues4U and 3 others like this.
  17. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Revised advice. :) Sell the A and anything in your house you havent used in 2 yrs except tools and parts you need and build a 33 or 34 coupe.

18. My dad taught me two things when I bought this lemon:
    1. Never let ANYONE borrow your car. (he speaks from experience)
    2. Never sell your first car, you will live to regret it.

That 56 sounds like it has a lot of sentimental value and memories.
    I guess if it's your dream to get a 33 then you might as well sell the A if that's what you really want.

But it's your choice, and I'm not an expert, I've only been doing this stuff for 3 years.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

19. I'd keep what you got, ,...you can still daydream about a 34...

stubbsrodandcustom and clem like this.
  20. clem

clem

^^^^ this……
    Keep the truck - Tidy up the A , and when or if you find a ‘34 then revisit it.

21. gene-koning

gene-koning

Some decision are tough to make. I have one of those coming soon as well. When I finally make that decision, my mind will be made, and that will be the end of it.

Times change, those changes are occasionally caused by some decisions we make, but occasionally those changing times cause us to need to make decisions. Occasionally the changing times make the decisions for us. Growing older and changing times are inevitable, time doesn't ever stop even though we may like it to. Decisions that are forced by time are seldom fun.

Perhaps I'm the lucky one. I've not ever been so attached to a vehicle that seeing it leave has left a long term mark on me. I might miss a vehicle for a short term, but usually it has been replaced with something else and my attention moves to the new thing. There is one vehicle I had that pops up in my head that I occasionally miss, but then I remember why it went away, and I don't miss it so much. Pretty much everything I've sold off left for a good reason, and often times for several good reasons. I can not grasp the concept of love for the 1st car (or truck), maybe because my 1st car was a pile of junk, and the 1st car I built was a pile of junk. Both 1st cars needed to go away to make room for better cars that were waiting for the space. The 1st truck I had was a hand me down work truck that no longer served the purpose I needed a truck for, it too was replaced with a truck that better served my needs.

I can only look at the OP's position from a practical side. I understand a want for a new different ride. For me, revisiting something from the past seldom works out well. We tend to remember the good times with the past ride, and we forget the bad things. If we start out intending to fix the issues of the past ride with the new ride, we seldom get past the memory of the old one, and spend eternity comparing the two. Even with the new one, having everything fixed, the new one can't compete with the good memories of that 1st version. The sad part of building a new version of an old memory these days is, the current parts are no where near the quality of the parts on the past vehicle. These modern parts stand a higher chance of failing then parts as recent as 5 years ago, to compare them to parts from 20 years ago the quality no longer exists. When the modern parts fail, we will only remember we didn't have that many problems with the old version, the new version will be a disappointment. If the only purpose of building a new version of an old memory is to relive the good times of the old days and the old ride, do yourself a huge favor and let the past safely reside in your memory. Times have changed, parts have changed for the worst, and your body has aged and you can't do the things you used to do.

I know this because I'm living it now. I've built a 2nd version of an old ride.
    The new truck is a better truck then the old one was, but it can't do hardly anything the old one did. That is OK because I no longer need the new truck to do the things the old truck did, except provide transportation. The new truck has a lot going for it the old one didn't have. The old truck couldn't do the things the new truck can do, so the old truck is pretty safe in my memory. The old truck and the new truck look similar to each other, but that is where that story ends. Different times, different needs, different trucks.
    Pic 1 Old memory killed in a crash in 2011. 50 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup, V8, auto trans,4x4.
    Pic 2 New truck painted 2022 almost exactly the same color (not intentional)! 49 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup, V8, auto trans, 4x4.

Attached Files:

22. 7A49F90E-FFB2-4B9A-A785-DFAC462654D3.jpeg
    130B6093-CD5B-488F-A172-C4B0F00A3151.jpeg

23. spanners

spanners

Keep the truck. You can carry parts around in it for the '34 project. Much harder to do that with the 'A'.

24. Option C: Sell both and buy a running and driving out of style 'glass 33/34 coupe, de-street rod it and make it your own as time and money allow.

25. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Keep one driver, sell the other to put money towards the stash, keep adding cash to the pile, have the cash in hand and ready because you never know when it will show up.

26. KFC

KFC
    from UK

I sold a perfectly functional glass 32 roadster that I loved to buy a pile of 34. 6 years on it’s still not on the road. it’ll be ace once it’s done but the 32 was such a good car.

27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

L4 and L5 for me - head on into the Norwalk guardrail.
    But I can still weild a TIG torch and kinda wrangle an altered down the track so still a productive septagenarian.

28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Since I'm limited for space, anytime I want to add another vehicle it means something I owned had to go. So I never sell an existing car until I find something I want more than something I have. At times this has caused great internal turmoil for me, so the new project has to be something really desirable to make me want to turn loose of an existing car.
    Right now, at my age, I see no more new projects in my future. Unless I found a friend or family member who had room to store a car for me I have nothing I'm willing to let go of to make room for more.

29. belair

belair

You can't own them all, you can't keep them all. I'm down to three on my bucket list, don't know if I'll get there, but it's fun trying.

30. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Well, Its been a year for sure. I found this car on here back in June, I decided I would do the Prewar Pileup with the banger coupe and make my decision then. Came home and talked to the fellow Hamber who had this car, decided I needed to go ahead and make things happen. Yes its not a coupe but is a stairstep to that direction at some point.

I miss the banger coupe some days but this gal is growing on me for sure. It will be nice to have some extra shoulder room for me a buddy to ride in it or 3 or 4 in the back....

This will probably be my road car... Going to try to drive it to Roundup Next year and hopefully Hotrod Showdown.

Future plans I think are a banger speedster or roadster made Fat Boy Friendly. Very Prewar track car, TROG contender.

But here is the 34 Tudor in all her glory, just got done rewiring, fixing, and rebuilding the front end completely.

34-16.jpg

Papas32 and das858 like this.