Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1926 Ford Lakes Modified a New Chapter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by scottyairborne, Sep 6, 2022.

1. Thanks, I give all the credit to the previous owner and the builder. I am just waking her back up, then some subtle changes that will better serve my usage plans.

Tman likes this.
  2. If you dig thru my old touring posts there is one where my mom and I made a tonneau cover. I ordered up a few yards of black boat cover fabric. It had velcro so I could split the front and keep it on if I was driving solo. I used automotive snaps but would change to "common sense fasters" if I were to do it again. They hold better in high winds!
    upload_2022-12-7_9-27-23.jpeg

Outback and WalkerMD like this.
  3. That is very helpful, I want a split tonneau like did for my solo time for sure. This is on my winter list, just need to find the time down with the folks.

4. Outback likes this.
  5. Anything new?

Outback likes this.
  6. Dad is off his light-duty restriction and inspected the kingpins. The bushings and kingpins are tight, it looks like the play is in the axle eye. We will get it cleaned up when I am back for Christmas. I am not sure if we can do the old school hammer and punch, or take to a machine shop/blacksmith to work it out. I don’t seeing it being anything we can’t get fixed up easily.

Tman likes this.
  7. Meanwhile, Dad is keeping it running regular even in the cold. We haven’t wired up the electric choke, so it is the good old foot feather up to temp. No cold start issues and running well!

Tman likes this.
  8. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Which axle key has wear?
    Center punching something is only a short term fix, & can damage parts further which may not be desirable,
    Have you got a good machine shop close ?

9. Yes, will take it to a local machine shop to assess…

Outback likes this.
  10. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Neat ride! I think I need one of these....

Devin

11. Not a lot of updates, between the weather and health issues (my facial nerve issue has been debilitating as they search for a medication to reel it in). We pulled the front axle, talked to a family-owned machine shop that has been established for over a hundred years, he will shrink the axle eye for us. Then we are back to cosmetics until it warms up some.

12. I got some really nice Ed Kowalski Speed Shop vinyl to use for a stencil. We will add his logo in honor of both him and E.J. (who built it).

Tman likes this.
  13. Dad dropped the axle and kingpins off at the machine shop. The kingpins and bushes are good so the will shrink the driver axle eye. Said it may be a week before the get to it, but very confident on the repair. Now we wait…

14. Another call to Holley on the center caps and spinners, I think it is finally corrected and we should have them late this week.

I head back on the 26th for a few days, so hopefully we have the axle and the centers and spinners to get a final assembly. I will also work on some of the logo painting locations for the painter.

15. Bidding on a few speedometers, a nice vintage SW from early 50s would be appropriate for the build. I know it isn’t required, but for trips in locations where I don’t know the judge it might be well worth another hole in the dash

Outback and Tman like this.
  16. Dad just got this package in the mail, cast covers and polished spinners as ordered. Had to accept the angled spinner, as the flat spinner is back ordered and continues to slide… 2792488F-97EB-4F0F-9493-3110AB84E80B.jpeg

OFT, Outback and caprockfabshop like this.
  17. Holley is overnighting the longer adapters after a lot of confusion (on their part). All spinners are now Right Hand Threaded, as they have an Allen bolt to secure them. The machine shop also called and the axle is done, so may be some progress in the upcoming days finally. 69507115648__E3FC18FB-9AF2-4537-B9E4-70209998A7F8-preview.jpg

OFT, Outback and caprockfabshop like this.
  18. Axle picked up, only a $200 charge… I just wanted it done and they would only give the shop rate until they got into it. He said it had been a while since he had done one, so glad there are still some guys out there with experience. Quick and easy fix, a little paint and we are back in business.

OFT, Outback and Tman like this.
  19. Axle is back in and we finally have centers and spinners for the inside-out Halibrand knockoff look. Hoping the car is taking a 50s vibe, pulled a 40s Lakes Modified out of a barn, threw in an ohv v-8 and some Indy wheels and hit the streets!!!
    B8854CE1-9B01-42B1-B631-220972714D8B.jpeg AAE99FCB-1A2D-476C-8B04-36A8F411D6E0.jpeg

OFT and caprockfabshop like this.
  20. Spinners need the modern lettering gone and blasted to match the wheels. Maybe even a nice hard Ano to add some contrast. OR, I would just leave them off altogether

brokenspoke likes this.
  21. I agree the modern lettering is not ideal. But I don’t have a problem with polished spinner finish, just to give some contrast. They will probably be the only polished item on the entire car.

22. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Mag wheels are not a 50's vibe IMO, I always liked this car

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  23. alchemy

alchemy

Smooth Halibrands came out in the mid 50’s I believe.

jaracer likes this.
  24. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Yes. Look at pictures of Bill Vukovich's 1953 Indy winning roadster. Fronts are smooth side out, rears are ribbed side out. Gave different offsets. And it was the same car as raced in 1952, when he crashed with a broken steering arm.

Tman and OFT like this.
  25. I am going for a tribute of the hottest racing parts of the time, thrown on an old Lakes modified. As others have pointed out Indy cars were running Halibrand mags early 50s, and they made their way to Salt Flats along the way. SBC was making it into hotrods mid-late 50s as well.

A Boner and OFT like this.
  26. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Put a set of Olds rocker covers on it and call it a Rockett 88 engine...

27. The engine bay is more business than show, but it has non-accessory heads on it. No denying it is a SBC when you hear it, and pretty healthy at that. The only thing I might do is paint the super coil so isn’t completely obnoxious.

28. Functionality Update: we now have zero play in the front axle. With the new wheels we are tubeless and the Auburn Deluxe tires give us radial tire benefits while still looking the part. I am hoping to sneak a drive in late January weather permitting.

I am going to try out a butterfly steering wheel. Any inputs on when quick disconnect wheels began being used??

Tman likes this.
  29. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Call it a fatman tilt wheel device like they had for model t's. That's got to predate the term hot rod by a decade or 3...

dirt t likes this.
  30. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I tried searching for some results, but I know for sure they were in a thing by the early 60's. Most of the early altered wheel base and funny cars had them. The Pin style from Speedway could easily fit into your period/style build:
    adaoter.png

I'm not sure what would be required to fit them to your column and wheel, but certainly a safe option vs a 100yr old fat-man accessory wheel off a Model T...

~Peter