Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mooneyes Drags requirements?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DK23, Jan 9, 2023.

1. DK23

DK23

I'm thinking about running my '29 Model A in the "run what you brung" category of the Mooneyes New Year gathering drags. I've never drag raced, so am wondering how I can get some info/help prior? I'I have a lot of road racing track experience, but in sports track cars. Any thoughts? I also don't know if I need a harness, or if my lap belts are ok. The car has a strong SBC, manual valve TH350, and some strengthened axles etc. ( I purchased the car already built). I am not out to win anything or even be competitive, I just would like to try it out.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Roothawg

Roothawg

Most events let the track tech guys handle the tech inspections. Seat belts will be a requirement. A catch can for your radiator, one tail light etc. If you aren't running super fast, you should be ok. I don't know the specifics, but most events are similar.

chryslerfan55 and DK23 like this.
  3. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

chryslerfan55 and DK23 like this.
  4. They are usually pretty strict, due to insurance. Seat belts, Helmut, bolted down battery, catch can for coolant, no leaks, no missing lugs, at least 1 brake light, no loose items in car or trunk. I know there is a roll bar requirement, over a specific speed, but don't know what that is. I'm sure I missed a few...
    Also depends on Class.

5. On top of these items, also usually need dual throttle return springs on a carb'd motor. Might also need a driveshaft hoop as well.

6. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Right, Irwindale is an NHRA track, you will not get away with some of the things that were overlooked at the TROG event.

7. RmK57

RmK57

The one I always get asked to show is the expire date on my helmet. Has to SFI approved and not more than 10 years old. Borrow a nhra rule book to get all requirements you may or may not need.

8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

And the track at Irwindale requires mufflers

51 mercules likes this.
  9. haha....Trog at Flabob was pretty laxed! But, it also was the first, and low key. Lucky there weren't any wrecks, cause would have killed that events future. There wasn't any super fast cars either.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    51 mercules and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. PotvinV8

PotvinV8