Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Don Blair RIP?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Sep 30, 2011.

1. 296ardun

296ardun

This was a post I knew would come, but still dreaded it.

I worked for Don Blair from around '61 to '64, when I joined the Navy, but started going to his shop in '57...drove the shop truck, picked up parts, did porting jobs, fixed the roof, bent metal, and all kinds of other jobs to pay my nitro and parts bills...Blair took care of his workers, even took me to dinner once (he loved Mexican food!)...he was an old-style hot rodder who insisted that we fabricate our own stuff, and really razzed us if we didn't know the fundamentals...He sponsored my first dragster, let me drive his sprint car a few times (didn't turn out well!!), but if I screwed up, he always tried to staighten me out...I learned more about hot rodding -- I learned a lot about life in general from him....Sure, he made money (nicknames included "double-dollar Don", and "the Hook"), and we put a hook with a dollar bill impaled on it over his office door, but he treated his customers and his employees right...and gave his father a job as his bookeeper after Don's mother died.

They don't make them like that anymore, RIP, Don.

(FineNobleGentleman, I assume that your father was "Old Dad Taylor," there is another picture of him porting a flathead in one of Don Montgomery's hot rod books)

chryslerfan55 and rod1 like this.
  2. jipp

jipp

thanks for the info guy.. sounds like he was a amazing man.. thats pretty crazy welding up a hole in a block Detroit determined useless.. i like it... r.i.p
    chris.

3. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I spent more time there than I should have during my younger days in the San Gabrial Valley. RIP Don .

chryslerfan55 and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  4. RIP Don, Great story in rod and custom magazine that I picked up last night, about Don and his shop. Probably been out a while in the US, but just come on sale here.
    "Grew up on the wrong side of the globe!!"

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. There is going to be a Memorial and BBQ for Don Blair at the NHRA Museum this coming Tuesday Nov 8th from 5:00 till 8:00 pm. There will be displays and memorabilia from his life and others who came in contact with him. Robbie Robison is in charge and he is asking anyone who would like to display cars or has something to set up to come @ 4:00 pm. If you have any questions, you can contact Robbie @ 626-483-3350.

I will be bringing the Blair's Anglia to display

6. Bump for the memorial service BBQ for the night crowd.

7. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks for the info, wish I could make it, hope attendance is good....not surprised that Robby is organizing it, he was one of Blair's most loyal employees, was there more than 40 years ago when I worked there, and organized a Blair reunion some years ago...he was also a racer, ran a bright yellow 55 Cad in the brackets at San Gabriel, dubbed "the Yellow Submarine," and in the days of "Pure Hell" and "Pure Heaven," Robby ran a roadster that he called "Pure Purgatory." A real character and a tribute to all the guys who worked at Blairs...

8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Coincidentally here 11yrs later we just lost “Fat Robbie Robison” day after Christmas. He was the guy who kept the original “Don Blair’s Speed Shop” fire lit. He lived less than a mile east of me down Longden, It’s surreal to drive past his place, see his Tahoe/Truck out there and know that he will not be joining us for breakfast. 81F8770D-5FB1-473E-A7E1-533E583AB182.jpeg

9. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Sorry to hear bout Robbie, Kevin. Not too many left form the old days of San Gabriel Valley hot rodding.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Beautiful car. That photo could be an oil painting masterpiece.

11. Robbie was a living legend of hot rods, hi-jinks, and the drag racing community in the San Gabriel valley. For anyone who knew Butch Severloh, who we lost in February, 2022, you knew Robbie. He was part and parcel of the group. How sad it is when you lose the really "down to earth" people you have known all your life...and in the same year. Robbie will be bending St. Peter's ear for a long time; he has a lot of stories. RIP Robbie. We are going to miss you.