Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How many guys drive street brawlers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 1, 2023.

1. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Well it depends on the definition of street brawler, if getting 2 or 3 mpg with the ability to make 6 or 700hp na I can cover that but it's OT.

Roothawg likes this.
  2. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

My custom is slow as shit, but I'll run ya in my ot dd. So I do get to have some fast fun.

But my customs I like low and slowwwwww

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  3. Street racing is a completely different animal then track racing. You have to learn how to read the road surface, the street is the equalizer. The guy with the most HP does not always win. Hooking up on different road surfaces is a art. Smart and talented street racers have always known this.

rod1, Roothawg, ekimneirbo and 6 others like this.
  4. My car wants to be a street brawler, but it's more of an instigator lol... Big block Chevy power coming soon :cool:

5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I'm with Lloyd . The trucks getting a big block soon. Just picked one up today. 323991982_957568268546507_8921189804772944528_n.jpg

6. squirrel

squirrel

Is that a 327 next to the 454?

7. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, which one are you; the smart one or the talented one?:confused: Hmmmmmmm ;)

8. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

210superair, Roothawg and squirrel like this.
  9. If all goes well… This summer

1BD5465F-1DFC-43B9-82AC-3E6F78126396.jpeg

10. Well, street racing is against the law. Maybe I'm a stupid one, allegedly.

11. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Mad Mikey ""Both""

just seems in early 90s Hot Rods
    Lost there Status of being the vehicles
    Being king of performance, next thing to race vehicle on street Over what was coming from production manufactures

Hard to swallow that most 4s make
    275-300hp & 5-8 speed transmission

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  12. Very true, we are kind of the minority in most parts of the street scene.

Roothawg and chevy57dude like this.
  13. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I like being in the minority... kids today are "different... just like everybody else..."

14. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Lol, isn't everyone? Including us? There's some kids around me that may have modern cars, but they're pretty friggin fast. It seems the younger guys that are into older stuff are into the muscle car Era, around me anyway. They aren't super interested in the 50s. I do see some younger guys around with chevelles, mustangs, etc from that Era though.

mad mikey and Roothawg like this.
  15. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

Everything i build ends has the general theme. Latest coupe... has a Jimmy Huff of Southeast Gassers built 351c, .720" lift solid roller, 4V CC heads, H beam rods/forged pistons, dual 650 Dp's.. with a tremec TKO to a magnesium winters quick change with 4.56 detroit locker. Very much a handfull at WOT....
    64514929131__3DC4ECAB-AA59-414C-A248-8C766DFAE850.jpg

My 37' cab full tube chassis build from a few years ago. 351w nitrous motor/C4 with brake to a 35 spline 9" with 4.56 locker. Was a bit much for the street.... Its now out in Oregon being raced regularly.. Runs consistent 10.40's.
    4.jpg

My old 32' sedan. 351w with a nasty cam/aluminum heads, I beams, etc. With a T5z to a winters quick change with 4.56 locker. Super fun car on the street.. Now down in Tennessee... IMG_2004.JPG

My old gasser... Roller cam 408w with a liberty prepped toploader, to a 9" with 4.56 posi. Currently resides in the Chicagoland area.
    IMG_2965.JPG

16. RmK57

RmK57

I really dig that Falcon. ^^^^^^^^

17. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

That's a brawler for sure... Mucho respect for having your car show up on the cover of HOT ROD Magazine and 3 more pics inside! Congrats you earned it!!

18. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Yes, sir! I've surprised some people trying to do a little stop light racing while in my Model A Roadster. The street tires are quite traction limited. Definitely a fun little street car, though.
    It's run high 11's in the 1/4 mile with slicks.
    Just running a 347 small block Ford, T5, 4.11 9" trac lok.

I don't mess with some of the late models that want to race, as others have mentioned...

2021-09-29_13-27-11.jpg

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's a great name for it.

20. RmK57

RmK57

Those cars run on a prepped concrete drag strip. No comparison to a greasy asphalt road.

21. Didn't you see the thread I started on that STEEL Willys Gasser, for $60k? BBC, 4spd....

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm too poor for that. I do like the idea though. It's more of the daydreaming and build phase I enjoy.

mad mikey likes this.
  23. In my younger days, I had a street VW Bug, (that would be considered Outlaw Class today)that put everything to shame! That's when I thought everybody wanted to race that pulled next to me at a light, haha. I'm done with that stuff now, even though I know my Coupe is really quick. It's fun to gas it a bit when I come next to modern Camaro, Mustang, or Vette, etc. But, I don't street race at all. I just ignore the wanna B's.
    The guy who built the car said he used to take on all challengers, though. Since I put the new rear(9" spool, 355 gears) it gets and goes! The old Quick-change was set up for top speed, so now it's more fun to drive around.

WC145, Roothawg and mad mikey like this.
  24. Where are you guys at when I'm out cruising around, we both would have shit eating grins at the next light, I wouldn't let you guys bump in on me at the first one. Ha ha ha
    All my stuff is built stout, can take a licking and I enjoy putting the wood to them.
    That's one of the hardest parts about building this 57 chevy pickup, trying to pull the reins back when looking at parts and remembering that this one is just going to be a shop truck cruiser, not a brawler.

25. Yea. When I got my coupe I just wanted to get a eng WIN_20190406_17_39_35_Pro.jpg WIN_20221126_15_24_35_Pro.jpg ine and trans in it and cruise around a bit, then retraced it's history and look what happened. And still going on. I have a serious addiction and possibly some mental illnesses :eek:;):)

impala4speed, racer-x, WC145 and 12 others like this.
  26. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

I’m in the slow process of collecting the needed parts to build my next “street brawler”.
    For me it would be very difficult to build a car and have it be “less” of a performer than the last one. My gut feeling is that this car will probably be my last high performance street build.
    I threw in a few challenges and allowed myself some advantages. The car will have to appear to the casual observer to be a 60-70s purpose built drag car. Not a street freak or modern low drag car. So the disadvantages are the stance and equipment that looks modern. The advantages that will be incorporated will be light weight, and electronics that make the car easier to sort out.
    My previous(ot) car was 3700 lbs, ran on pump gas through the mufflers went a best of 8.80 in the q mile and was driven to work regularly during summer months. I learned a whole lot about being fast on the street with that car. In the late 1980s- early 90s was one of the two fastest cars on the street in Milwaukee. Not meaning fastest car at the track, but getting down the street.
    My goal with the new build will be:
    1) make it light
    2) make it light
    3) make it light
    Hoping to be under 2800 lbs with me in it.
    Will be powered by a blown early hemi and backed up by an overdrive version of a clutchflite with an adjustable drag clutch. I expect it to be able to tickle the high 8s and sixty foot in the ‘teens.

Ned Ludd, AHotRod, swade41 and 5 others like this.
  27. My Henry J weighed 2410 with the stock chassis and aluminum head tunnel ram sbc, now it has a 2x3 chassis, straight axle and a aluminum head tunnel ram big block, I'm hoping the weight is still close.
    My 41 weighs in at 2920 with a full 15 gallon fuel cell and has a blown 540.
    The t-bucket is 1800 with iron head sbc, power to weight has a lot to do with how quick they are and that good old seat of the pants feel.

WC145, AHotRod, vtx1800 and 5 others like this.
  28. Earlier today I was looking at an ad for some afr heads that looked to be a fair deal, I already have a balanced 11-1 355, I was thinking man with a cam change this could be a pretty good combo.
    Then I had to tell myself that this truck is supposed to be a cruiser built on torque rather than hp. I went back and looked at that ad a half dozen more times ha ha ha

29. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Yep, it’s a mental problem. We’ve been hiding your meds, because the outcome (that coupe) is damn cool. Last time we let you have your tablets you said something about a Toyota Prius, so we hid them again.

Only kidding. That coupe does make me grin though - it has brawler written all over it.

Cheers,
    Harv

mad mikey, 427 sleeper and Roothawg like this.
  30. stewartwhite

stewartwhite

Blown 600ci Street Brawler! Hopping to get through the copious layers of Bondo by this summer there was no shame of application thickness.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]