Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Morning sighting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Gee, Dec 24, 2022.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Where da beach? No sand, no girls, no beach. ​

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Across this channel (which is a channel from the 57) and over to the other side is another leg of shore line to the open ocean with girls girls girls. C87687FA-272F-4386-AE07-66BD0B810CE4.jpeg

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Breakfast upper right circle, other 57 pic’s upper left. 56 lower circle and all the south is the sand. 46952BB6-AB47-4152-ACC9-8A29B8174800.png

Okie Pete and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  5. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I know all you eastern folks laugh when we get snow out here in Vancouver...but we did get three pretty decent amounts just before Christmas. However, looking at your first pic, you get snowed on except for the roads and driveways?! We have to shovel ours!!! LOL

6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

More like install wiper arms and wiper motor that are missing. But as you can see that does not stop me.

Okie Pete likes this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When we were in our 20 something days, we used to stop at the Galley Café in Newport. Usually, a weekend breakfast and sometimes a nice lunch. Great food and the nearby docks bay waters were pleasing. That was before the huge apartment complex on the upper hill along Coast Highway was put in place in 1974.

Many years later, we got an offer to dock our sailboat in one of their slips when it became open. It would have been closer to our house, but in a densely populated portion of Newport Beach. Cruising out to the ocean would have taken a lot of finagling out of the channel and bay, too.

But, the sailboat would have felt lonely as one of the very few sailboats in that marina. It was mostly large cabin cruiser power boats. Plus, as nice as the area is, that giant apartment complex was a looming thing for everyone around the area.

Jnaki

Now, a question for you… does your phone showcase local spots? The photo you included shows “The Wedge” near the Balboa Peninsula Pier on Balboa Blvd. For locals, we all know The Wedge is at the dead end of the Peninsula on the ocean side.
    upload_2023-1-5_4-12-44.png
    But, there is a cool mural of The Wedge waves in a parking lot near the Cruiser’s Bar and Grill place.
    upload_2023-1-5_4-13-44.png
    That is cool, but the map shows “The Wedge” located on the highway, not on the beach. So, your phone must showcase public highlighted attractions, like murals and tourist spots. Plus, we So Cal folks don’t want to lead the visiting tourists away from the real prime locations, do we?

Nice story and photos of the Newport Beach-Balboa Island and ferry.

i.rant and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

None of the photo’s shown were of the Wedge along the open ocean. The pic of the 56 on the ferry boat has the inland side of the Wedge in the back round.

10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2023-1-5_9-41-43.png

Hello,

In this map photo, the real Wedge in which you speak of is on the end of the Balboa Peninsula at the far end breakwater jetties, leading the Newport Harbor boats out to the ocean. We have been in and out of that harbor many times. From the Balboa Ferris Wheel in the background, the Wedge beach is 1.5 miles down the peninsula. Then the area at end of the road is where the towering Southern Hemisphere waves hit with a huge power is on the ocean side right at the end of the Balboa Peninsula.

"...The pic of the 56 on the ferry boat has the inland side of the Wedge in the back round." is not the description to send to other travelers. The actual Wedge wave spot is not in the background, but is 1.5 miles down the Balboa Peninsula to the end of the road. .

Jnaki

That area of So Cal also has historic designations. There is a small monument showing the history, as across the street is a huge parking lot that used to be the parking area for the historic Rendezvous Ballroom, home of the “Surfer’s Stomp” dance moves… Ha!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

True. We did get to the point that day with the 56.

12. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Being an "interior" boy I always get a kick outta you lower mainland folk (not you I'm sure) who fall apart with the snow falls! Shut everything down, all the bad drivers with summers still on the car spinning and sliding everywhere and Global running stories about how the cities are responsible cuz they're not clearing the snow fast enough... Every year it's the same thing. Cracks me up

alanp561 likes this.
  13. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Wipers? We got no wipers... We don't need no steenking wipers... That's what Rain-X is for!

fauj likes this.
  14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

What’s Rain-X? :)

15. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Ha-ha... Liquid windshield wipers!
    [​IMG]

16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Rain-X was/is a window product that came out to make water roll off of the outside window. The secondary usage was to keep moisture and fog off of the inside surface of the front window. A coating of the liquid usually did the trick on the window surfaces. But, the product needed to be reapplied after a few weeks.

upload_2023-1-7_11-19-48.png original product bottle from a long time ago… still half full or half empty...

We tried driving with only the Rain-X product on the windshield and the beads rolled off of the glass surface. But, the overall vision was still not absolutely clear as we like it to be for safe driving. With the Rain-X, the water drops did roll off of the window at speed, but it does so with the wiper, too.
    upload_2023-1-7_11-20-48.png
    When the new funny looking sponge with a chamois skin surface appeared on the market, one was used to better results. The sponge, looking thing wiped all of the interior glass cloudy stuff in one swipe. It was able to squeeze into the lower edges to get to the narrow space created by the sloping window and dash.

Jnaki

Now, any liquid was not needed as it was a dry wipe and clean. It worked wonders. But, again, it lasted longer, but it was not a permanent thing. Perhaps a couple of weeks of driving around and mild weather made it last longer. The more the defrost is used, the more “stuff” it picks up and sends it through the blower fan motor, covering the window surface and us. Some newer cars have an air filter that filters stuff from any blower fan outlet, but the results are still questionable.

So, the results are good, the dry sponge thing worked the best and took less time out of our busy retirement schedule, so the windows are perfectly clean and clear… until the next month of driving.

For the outside window glass, you can still use Rain-X if that is your thing. YRMV

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I was being sarcastic as to what Rain-X is.

Rickybop and firstinsteele like this.
  18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In reference to your original post, Johnny...

Kind of a trip seeing an old original touring car being driven, isn't it? Even in California, I imagine. Even more so here in Michigan. A few summers ago, I was gassing up on the other side of the pump from a '26/'27 touring. Completely original. Looked unrestored. Looked kinda jaunty with the top down. Young guy came out and hopped in it. I didn't even try to talk to him, cuz he was out of there. No fanfare. No delicate touch. Just cranked her up, blasted out the gas station and headed on down the road before I knew it.
    Definitely surreal.

After the dust settled, all I could think of was that I'd probably back into the car behind me if I tried to do that with a Model T.

alanp561 and Johnny Gee like this.
  19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tasty looking Chevy.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  20. cabong

cabong

Had a real nice '54 Merc Monterey back then, and used to frequent the Rendezvous Ballroom. Did the Surfers Stomp, the twist, and even a newer version of the gitterbug !! All this to the great sounds of Dick Dale and the Del Tones.... What great times, many of which I can't remember. Heck, I couldn't remember them the next day....

alanp561, jnaki and Johnny Gee like this.
  21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

[​IMG]
    Rendevous Ballroom.

Fender kept giving Dale amps and Dale kept blowing them up! Till one night Leo and his right hand man Freddy T. went down to the Rendezvous Ballroom on the Balboa Peninsula in Balboa, California. Standing in the middle of four thousand screaming dancing Dick Dale fans Fender now knew what Dick Dale was trying to tell him. Back to the drawing board. A special 85 watt output transformer was made that peaked 100 watts when Dale would pump up the volume of his amp. However they now needed a speaker that would handle the power and not burn up from the volume that would come from Dale's guitar.

alanp561 likes this.
  22. Dang, I miss Newport!

23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

When originally posted I got grief for being in sunny California during others freezing weather. Well here’s a 180 for all of you from yesterdays little drive around. 80824E6B-6DFB-44AD-8859-ED29023BC7A6.jpeg C418BCD0-E059-4A7C-8ADE-26813339036B.jpeg 16C2CDF3-A06F-4CFB-B045-A139B3869461.jpeg

Hotrodmyk likes this.