Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical restored 46 coupe,Flathead or 283?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodyankee, Jul 17, 2016.

1. SBC is my simple on drama answer.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I suppose all those guys swapping Chevrolet V-8s into their old Fords back in the 50s and 60s were ignorant streetrodders who didn't know what a real hot rod was. I've had six flatheads, SBCs, BBCs, 365 Cadillac, 401 Buick, 389 Pontiac, 272 y-block, 383, 440, they're ALL good; run what YOU like and don't worry about the revisionist historians.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

slowmotion and hotrodyankee like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

hotrodyankee likes this.
  4. mlagusis

mlagusis

It sounds like you have wanted this car with a 283 for years. You have the parts to make it work. Sell the flathead, take the money and build a nice 283 with power pack heads and have fun.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  5. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

"UPDATE", Just spoke to a friend that is doing some touch-up paint work on a other friends restored '60' chevy impala. I know the the car well, and the owner of the car is making a pro-touring car out of it now, and is putting a new chassis under it with a LS engine in it. So I asked about the 40,000 mile, great running 283 4 barrel power- pack engine in it, he said I could have it for free! The engine is a clean original to the car, and runs great, never apart. Will freshen it up this fall. Off to a good start!

6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

283 with a turbo 350

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

OK, on second thought that Chevy should work good - with the $ you save consider upgrading the steering box to a Saginaw w/adapter from speedwaymotors.com, and others - you will be glad that you did.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    hotrodyankee likes this.
  8. Hombre

Hombre

That is good news, now that choice is made all that is left is the grimy hands and the sweating part.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  9. Cool, pay it forward with a free flathead...to me. :cool:

hotrodyankee likes this.
  10. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

11. I have 4 flathead cars already, and just picked up (ironically) a black 46 coupe to put a 283 in. I LOVE flatheads, and even with my dad owning his own engine/machine shop...they are still exspensive. This is a nice car, but the engine is TIRED. It's the perfect car to do the swap, plus I'll have a good 59AB core for down the road.
    The 283 I have is a 58 with power pack heads. Got it for free, have a Weiand 4x2 intake for it

image.jpeg

And here so my engine mocked up in a coupe I had before this one. Has log manifolds, Mallory flat cap, everything fits like a glove

image.jpeg

oliver westlund and Atwater Mike like this.
  12. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Thanks, looks like my 46. Now you got me thinking again!

13. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

What exhaust manifolds did you use. Are you using your original drivetrain in the 46?

14. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Taking a far thinking approach on your original statement. Lower it a bit, drive it a lot, some longer runs, sounds like a really GREAT plan. Lower a bit could be reversed eyes springs, rubber rake and the wheels of your choice. It sounds like you hit the jack pot with engines. A low mileage flat head already in the car----- ad Aluminum heads and 2 carbs it will have the LOOK and proper exhaust will give you the great SOUND of a flat head. Put the 283 on an engine stand, clean it up, dress it up and you'll have it ready to go when you feel it's time for a change. Before you put the car on the road be sure you go though the brakes and be sure the emergency break works properly. If you don't already know, sit down with some flat head guys and learn how to set THOSE points, carbs and the nuances of tuning/fixing a flat head on the side of the road. Carry the breakable flat head parts in the trunk (especially points AND condenser) Do all that----And drive the shit out of it.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  15. Yes, original trans and rear. I have a 3.54 center section for it. I reversed the springs front and rear and have a dropped axle for it. Manifolds are stock 55-57(?). Some chev guy will know for sure. Clears steering beautifully

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

16. F&J

F&J

Not an expert, but those are the manifolds that I mentioned on the OP's thread about manifolds.

I know they are 55-56 but I think 57 as well.

Shain and hotrodyankee like this.
  17. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Very nice 46 Chris, I have most of the parts needed to do the swap this winter. Gonna lower the car for sure. Everything on my car has been rebuilt, so it is in great shape. The car has won 15 Detroit awards from the early ford v8 club. Now its my turn to have some fun with it. (dam hot rodders!)

18. 36tudordeluxe

36tudordeluxe

If cost is the deciding factor for you, the 283 is the ticket; if your looking for something unique with a coolness factor the "built" flathead is the way to go. My 276 I've found to be very reliable, drove it today with 105° + temp. in stop and go traffic with no problem. At the car shows I hear comments like "wow, a flathead!" or younger crowd "what is that!" In the other camp, I hear "yeah, it's a SBC."

hotrodyankee likes this.
  19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you have a rebuilt flathead from Ford with 100 miles on it keep it. Baby it, keep it stock, do regular oil changes and see how far you can drive it. 50000 to 80000 should be a cinch maybe 100000 if you use synthetic oil. Wonder if synthetic is good for a flathead, maybe some of the flathead experts will know.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If its not broke no need to fix it.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  21. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

283 is like a ham sand which ...you could do both...

hotrodyankee likes this.
  22. Topper

Topper

Nope, in 1957 Chevy went to the ram horn style of manifolds. 1964 to 1968 Chevelle/ElCameno manifolds will clear the steering box with a ton of room with the added plus of eliminating the grease in the box becoming hot like it would with the ram horns.

Atwater Mike and Hamtown Al like this.
  23. Mike, you have a real dilemma. Need a little more detail on your goals. I see, "drive it a lot, some longer runs than others. Just want to make this car dependable." Since so many people have taken the 283 side, I'll take the flathead side. Unless your goal is a near 100 point, museum piece restoration (and we can tell it isn't) it's your car you can do what you want with it.

Original or period correct is probably going to help it retain the most value. You can spend gobs of money that you'll never see again on a resto-mod. At the end of the day it will still be a 1946 Ford with very limited interest and market value. Not being mean, I have a 1941 Ford Coupe and that's my case too. Go with period correct.

Swapping in an early SBC Chevy is certainly period correct. However, I have a lot of 1950s Rod & Custom and Hot Rod magazines. There's almost no such thing as a 1946 hotrod coupe (unless you're a moonshiner.) A lot of 50's hotrods were roadsters. There are a lot of 1950's customs that were coupes but when you look at them now, there aren't very many that look better than stock.

Two years ago I sold my early '60s Chevy with a 383 and 5 speed. It was a lot of fun but it was time to move on. I bought a 41 Ford flathead with 3 on the tree. My original intention was a 5-speed and modern suspension. After reading lots of advice, I'm taking it really slow. It still has a 6v pos ground electrical system. Still has 3 on the tree and now I've decided the most fun I can have with this particular car is to keep the 3-speed..

Just spent ugly amounts of money on a vintage Eddie Meyer manifold with two Stromberg 81's and a set of Eddie Meyer heads. Love it. Done a lot of troubleshooting and car really runs great. It's very period correct.

I don't like driving the interstates with this car and it's not because of the engine. The flathead can handle it but the rest of the drive train and suspension gives me the creeps above 60 mph. I've seen too many modern wrecks to want to try it in a '41.

Finally getting to the point, but if you intend 65-70 mph on the interstate, do the 283 along with a newer rear end and rear suspension. Actually, you could do the flathead with a newer rear end and suspension. If you not going to do the rear and suspension work, there's no point in the SBC.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
  24. Flathead47

Flathead47
    from ontario

Well sounds like you have a nice car to start with , you already have the original " Hot Rod Motor " in the car , " Henry's V8 Flathead Ford " , it's what started it all !!
    Dress it up like you said you wanted to ... then down the road change it out if your not happy since you have the other motor already.
    There are the other upgrades to the car that you want to do ,so do them first since you will do them regardless what motor is in the car.
    Nothing sounds better than " Henry Fords V8 Flathead " , very reliable , lots of them out there today still running from coast to coast .... just my 2 cents .....

25. 6sally6

6sally6

SBF would be my choice. (Ford in a Ford...what a concept!)
    IF.....you already have the 283 Shivel-lay engine I'd go with that.
    Either of these would be cheaper and more reliable..(as far as break down/parts replacement on-the-road)
    Sure Flatties 'look-cool' but for anything other than a cruise-in car....go OHV. IMHO
    6sally6

RustyDogg likes this.
  26. @hotrodyankee ...so, guys are still making suggestions on your 6 year old thread...what did you decide to do? And, are you happy with it?

27. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

Yep, no doubt

28. 1941coupe

1941coupe

46 merc 303 olds 39 trans stock rear bolt in swap very dependable

29. Budget36

Budget36

I hope the OP steps back in, he was here in October, I’d like to know now which way he went over the past 6 years.

X38 and Kelly Burns like this.
  30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He ended up with a SBC. The only issue was some yutz came up one day and threatened his car with a bat if he didn't go back to the flatty (!). So 'yank was thinking quick, grabbed an air chisel and psyched the weirdo out, made him think he was getting shot at full auto! He stumbled and bumped his head, knocked out cold. When he woke up he had no recollection of why he was there. Ol yankee didn't wanna say 100% but did say it was about the car. Mr ball bat engine enforcer really warmed up to his coupe. "Man I love a flatty but this is the way for lots of long distance drives these days." They became quite good friends.

Is this true? Fuck no, but if we're resurrecting old threads why not?