Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods B4Cdan, or Just Another AV8 Build Thread!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brett4christ, Jan 5, 2013.

1. drdave, flat 39 and Grandadeo like this.
  2. I like your ingenuity on that column drop. Good job!

brett4christ likes this.
  3. Quick parts acquisition update:

I needed to make a decision on my steering wheel, knowing it needed to be a pre-war unit. I decided on a '36 car wheel that @IronTrap had on his parts IG and a deal was struck. Once delivered, I placed it loosely on the column to check the look and placement...I think it works!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also received my goody box from Van Pelt Sales...

[​IMG]

4. I have been piecing together an oxy-acetylene torch set and finally have what I need for heating/bending, so I set out on an adventure last night.

I had purchased round-back spindles that had dropped steering arms, but the ends of the arms were too low to use the dropped tie rod ends that I wanted to use. I heated and bent the arms 1) twisted down more to better clear the axle, then 2) repositioning the ends to be parallel with the ground, and finally 3) adjusted to the right height to give clearance (both maximum ground and minimum wishbone) Let them cool, attached the tie rod and BAM It's done.

Photos are straight and full-lock (and then some) clearances for each side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Another piece to the B4Cdan puzzle....

[​IMG]

Offy 2x2 intake that allows the long generator AND lowers the gen mount! So now I don't have to trim the fan!!! I did have to "clock" the fuel bowl so it would not hit the firewall.

[​IMG]

Now to find some carburetor risers!

As Johnny Cash says..."one piece at a time!"

Last edited: May 12, 2023
    drdave and Just Gary like this.
  6. Brett, this is a really cool build. :cool:
    Glad to see you're fine-tuning all the cool parts to make them fit together beautifully- the motor mounts, pedals, SW gauges, column drop, spindles, retaining a mechanical fan, yada, yada, yada...

Algoma56 and drdave like this.
  7. Thanks @Just Gary

It's been fun figuring stuff out THEN executing with what few tools I have.

Algoma56 and drdave like this.
  8. Another task checked off my list...carburetors rebuilt!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@scootermcrad and I tackled these on Saturday during a long-overdue visit with all the McRads!

I wanted to keep them aged, so they would match the rest of the car and parts. I still have to pull out the 8.5 PVs and install 3.5s, but everything else is rebuilt, reconditioned, or replaced. Shafts are tight, linkages operate smoothly. Going to have them hard-linked so they are non-progressive. I may start the engine with one carb on the old original intake...we'll see...

9. Better shot of the carbs....

[​IMG]

Jeff34, drdave and Grandadeo like this.
  10. Jeff34

Jeff34

Great build! Lovin it so far. It looks like you're going with cross-steer. You've lowered the column below the pedals to get behind the flathead. Are you going to use a U-Joint at the end of the column going forward to the steering box?

11. @Jeff34 Thanks for the positive reinforcements!

I am using an F1 steering box and pitman arm. The steering box is roughly in the same location as the Model A box, but the steering shaft enters the F1 box at the bottom versus at the top for the Model A. That gives the appearance of it being lowered. The spindles are 39/40 units that utilized cross-steer. The cross-steer boss will eventually be removed from the passenger spindle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

drdave, Jeff34 and Grandadeo like this.
  12. Jeff34

Jeff34

Thanks! I saw the tie rod and the second hole on the passenger side. Thought you might be doing side steer. Great work on this!

13. Got a goodie box this weekend....

[​IMG]
    2" carburetor risers and linkage for straight 2x2, non-progressive!

I know the linkage may be the easy way out, but remember, I still have to imagineer rest of the throttle assembly!

drdave, Jeff34 and Grandadeo like this.
  14. Had the afternoon off and it was nice outside...

I've been holding this '40 banjo for several years for B4Cdan and yesterday I drug it up to the garage and started disassembly. Pulled the wishbones off, set it up on my axle bell stands and removed the torque tube/driveshaft. The input/pinion shaft looks better than expected.

[​IMG]

Hubs removed, it's VIVIDLY evident that someone has been in this unit, at least this far...

[​IMG]

Keyways look good. I was worried about these, but a pleasant surprise!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Backing plates removed...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But I did find one problem....

[​IMG]

Dannerr, Dog_Patch, drdave and 3 others like this.