Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Adventures of Bob the Big Ol’ Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, May 28, 2022.

1. A pancake compressor? Isn't that a waffle iron?
    o_O

ottoman and guthriesmith like this.
  2. Squablow

Squablow

Here's a before, during and after pic of this on a really exceptionally rough horn cap from an old thread. I bet the Buick one will turn out even better since it's not as rough to start with. Doesn't hurt to wash the dirt/dust off the face of the plastic before sliming it up, and if you can pop the cap off and set it in a windowsill (in direct sunlight) it seems to work even better, or at least, faster than in the cold/dark.

I did this same thing to the speedo face on my '57 Chevy. Didn't work as well on there, but certainly improved it.

first.jpg
    second.jpg
    third.jpg

3. That’s pretty amazing!

41 GMC K-18, Sancho and Acres like this.
  4. Well, drove the car to my folks for Thanksgiving lunch Wednesday. Then, went back to my folks Thursday to pick up my brother and bring him back up to my shop. So, he got to ride in Bob and then I took him back in Pinky since I needed to trade cars with Silas. Good time riding in the old cars for the Thanksgiving holiday. :cool:

57BEB8B2-CFE0-49AD-881B-AB9A72E96F1E.jpeg

bchctybob, Thor1, i.rant and 14 others like this.
  5. Pretty sure I haven’t driven the Buick since Thanksgiving. Between a trip to California for work, helping kids catch up in school before finals, lots of rain, etc., I am having withdrawals. Seems the weather might be pretty decent this week so I may have to find time to go for a drive. I need it for therapy. o_O

6. I can totally relate. I was out of town for two weeks and came home to bad weather for another week. The forecast finally changed in my favor yesterday and I had to get out for a therapy session. Best day ever!

7. I didn’t drive Bob on Christmas, but did run some errands today since the snow is all gone. Oh, and I even bought him the plastic Dyna Flow pieces for the trunk emblem for Christmas. They should arrive in a couple days. :D

9554A198-39D4-41FD-9E7A-242682D31FD8.jpeg FC02DFA8-3111-4A9C-9021-3E892205493F.jpeg CB244409-B855-4B6B-B12B-E50A43F9F862.jpeg

Sancho, drdave, bchctybob and 11 others like this.
  8. Wow Jeff! Time to join the AACA! :D

Sancho, drdave, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  9. Lol...uh, probably not... :D

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
  10. Recently bit the bullet and did those AND the front for George. Looks super.

Ben

guthriesmith likes this.
  11. Decided to drive the Buick to work tomorrow since it is going to be in the low-60’s. So, I thought I should fill it up with gas this evening. And, I sure hope it is just out of gas... Waiting on my oldest son to come to the rescue. :oops:

Sancho, bchctybob, Tim and 3 others like this.
  12. Well...learned something this evening. According to the 17-1/2 gallons of gas I had to put in the tank to fill it up, I’m guessing it may hold 18. :rolleyes:

Sancho, bchctybob, Ford52PU and 7 others like this.
  13. That's a pretty big commitment, filling up the gas tank on a 70 year old Buick.

Keep the faith!
    :cool:

14. Lol! Not as much of a commitment as it should be considering the gas mileage this thing gets. :rolleyes:

Successfully made it into work and probably used about a third of that gas getting here.

E8F0D11F-5969-476F-8C53-2FFD77261C57.jpeg 9D09C89B-A8F5-4A57-B1A9-0FAF120F71AF.jpeg 773E2DAE-7FB2-4DF8-9F44-4CCFC5ACE09B.jpeg

Sancho, 41 GMC K-18, drdave and 10 others like this.
  15. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Yea but you had the most fun getting to work than anyone else on the road at that time.
    It gave you a zen moment and good juju to face the day! The baby in the manger gave you thumbs up too.

16. v8flat44

v8flat44

Jeff, I wonder if the "Flow" in Dyna Flow meant the flow of fuel "through" the car .....keep smiling & drive on. Bob is "look'n good" !

guthriesmith likes this.
  17. Yes, 18 gallon was original. Replacement , from TANKS , is 17 gal.

How many miles to work?

Ben

guthriesmith likes this.
  18. It is right at 32 miles to work all on the highway (so I might have exaggerated a little on how much gas it used). :rolleyes: And, with the 25 mph tail wind this morning coming from down your way, it likely did quite a bit better on gas. :D

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
  19. I bet you are right! :D I haven’t ever checked the mileage, but it sure seems to go through more gas than my old worn out y-block that I have checked at around 15 mpg typically.

20. LOL
    It IS a BUICK! One must expect to pay a little more for the SUPERIOR experience!:).

You probably have a 3.6/1 gear ratio. Maybe even a 3.9. Easy to change to a 3.36 if you expect to drive enough to warrant doing so. That helped mine somewhat. I get around 15-16 in town. 18-20 hwy.

Ben

bchctybob, Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  21. More from the adventures today... I had to get out at lunch to go get some feed for the animals. So, after loading 300 lbs of feed in the trunk again, I was reminded how much better I like the look with the rear sitting lower. So, what better opportunity to get a photo in front of Oklahoma's longest continuously operating gas station...since 1937. When I went in to pay, the owner remembered the car from here in town. I'm sure the car got gas here a few times over the years dating back to when it was new. They even gave me a couple post cards after I bought only a little over 3 gallons of gas which tells me this thing is getting about 10 mpg. :eek:

IMG_6034[1].JPG
    IMG_6031.JPG
    IMG_6032.JPG

Also ended up playing Santa's helper apparently delivering some gifts to co-workers from a supplier. What better sleigh than something old and sort of red... :D
    IMG_6030[1].JPG

Sancho, 41 GMC K-18, drdave and 14 others like this.
  22. Had to do it when I noticed there weren’t any newer cars in the pic. ;)

08585FC8-576D-4B72-BC58-C4E06C59683A.jpeg

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good stuff!

my 46 got such bad mpg that I stopped keeping track I just planed gas stops every X miles regardless of what the gauge said.

that being said the last trip we took, 80+ mph run on the interstate the whole time yielded the best mileage I’d gotten in a long time based on how much gas I had to put back in it after wards.

that was one day before I took the car apart because it felt “wrong” and found not only broken transmission but an engine that we aren’t sure how it was still running with out sounding like a drum set falling down the stairs lol

brand new motor and trans sitting in it right now waiting for me to get the holes lined up better so it bolts in. I have no idea what to expect for power and mpg after having mostly
    Mystery drivetrain the last eleven years!

24. v8flat44

v8flat44

H Ho Ho, look at Bob go ..... to the nearest gas station LOL

bchctybob and guthriesmith like this.
  25. Wow! They've even got an RC Cola machine out front. The place must be run by a bunch of rebels! I'll bet you can even get a Moon Pie when you go inside to pay for your gas.

Do they give you S&H Green Stamps with your purchase too?
    :rolleyes:

bchctybob and guthriesmith like this.
  26. No green stamps, but they do let you pump gas before paying. No pay at the pump high tech stuff at this station. I’ll check on moon pies next visit. :D

27. I did not know there were any active Sinclair stations.

guthriesmith likes this.
  28. There are still a few in Oklahoma mostly in small towns. I don’t see many, but some.

29. Very cool!

guthriesmith likes this.
  30. Got Bob’s Christmas present installed. New stuff starts to make the rest of the car look bad. :oops:

F1929574-1A7D-4150-BACE-5989BAF0DC5B.jpeg

Sancho, 41 GMC K-18, Thor1 and 12 others like this.