Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need help in UK

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donald N Wemple Jr., Dec 23, 2022.

1. Hi trying to contact a company in the UK. So far several attempts they do not respond by email. Anyone out here on the site that may be able to steer me in the right direction or possibly a sister forum over there I might be able to join and get help. Thanks.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. What's the company name??

3. Actually 2 companies. Girling and Paintmasters. Off topic projects so keeping it clean here. Wrote both but nothing. Possibly thought a club in the UK ( or forum ) may have better contact info than I can find. Thanks.

4. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

What contact info do you have. There may be several entities with these names

5. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

If its Girling in Wrexham, they are now a brand of TRW aftermarket based on the same location. They have a contact phone number +44 01978 667810
    Contact pages and emails dont always work because of the spam filters

6. Well that explains Girling. As far as other it is Paintmaster. Hoping to find someone on the other side of the pond who may know them.

7. Paintmaster has a phone number on their website.

8. Never tried calling the UK. Was hoping to email them. Will have to see how to call them. Thanks.

9. It also looks like they close over the holidays so depending on when you were trying to get a hold of them it may just be they are not there.

Outback likes this.
  10. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

If i have difficulty getting a response by email, the next thing i try is to see if there is a link to facebook or instagram on the web page. I direct message them through their social media.

11. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

I'm there and right now most car places have closed.

Outback likes this.
  12. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I imagine trying to contact Girling would be a similar experience to contacting pretty much any large corporation.

Chris

13. Rem

Rem

Yes, I guess it really depends on what you want to discuss - technical? Historical? Legal? Calling any large company is going to get you at best a 15 level menu to get you to the appropriate department, and then chance of either a "please leave message or refer to our comprehensive website FAQs" or a "we are extremely busy right now, but your call is important to us so please hold - you are number 48 in the queue". Plus, as Torana68 said, many places are closed for the holidays until 3rd January, or may have reduced staffing.

Oh, and Hi Chris!

Happydaze likes this.
  14. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

not sure what the parts are your after but Bigg Red in Worcester do caliper parts? quick to reply to emails (after Xmas anyways)

15. brading

brading

What is the actual information you want from Girling and Paintmasters may be I can help. Think they will both be shut down till Jan 3rd. I will be able to ask on the Forums over here for you. Have you any info details for Paintmaster

16. Hi restoring a OT car needing a hydraulic clutch slave cylinder rebuilding kit. None available here so trying to get to Girling to see if I can get a kit. Aftermarket replacements are junk. Appreciatethe response.

17. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

Anything Girling is now aftermarket, no guarantee of the quality, what part numbers are you looking for? I can see whats available over here. New old stock is an option.

18. Hi, trying to locate rebuild kit for a obsolete hydraulic clutch slave cylinder. Have an aftermarket replacement but they are junk and do not last. Found a vintage race car shop in Texas that tried several times over a 3 month period to contact them on kits but he was ignored too. Found an long obsolete master cylinder kit for the same application and rebuilt it but that guy said I was lucky he had one left. Guess Girling no longer supports this unit as he stated . If indeed the parts are no longer available would be nice if company would just say so and possible a quality replacement I might be able to use. Thanks to all. Merry Xmas.

19. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

have your whatever stainless sleeved and re kitted

20. Not be be negative but you have answered your own question with the term "Obsolete". No company that doesn't specialize in those types of things is going to waste their time dealing with something that in the end is going to be a one off break even at best proposition for them.

21. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Setting myself up to be shot down in flames, being in the UK and having been pretty much brought up on Girling stuff, it came as quite a surprise to find that Wilwood stuff is uncannily similar. Now I'm not saying there's plagiarism going on and I've not made any direct comparison(s) I think its got to be worth a lookse???

Otherwise, there's plenty of nos Girling stuff on the auction site but typically listed by applicaton and/ or kit part number, and not size. Also generally lots of replacement. Try is decent .

Chris

22. Yes I understand this is older stock and obsolete but thought possibly in the UK there might be a stash of them. I thought of re sleeving but the bore size is not the issue it is the rubber cup size and configuration. I was hoping to buy an aftermarket unit and steal the parts I needed but everything I find is smaller and will not work for this. Checked Wilwood and they are different sizes too. I may just bite the bullet and convert to hydraulic throw out bearing design as some have done. Thanks.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  23. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

A valid thought I would say.
    Just cause an item is dropped from the books does not mean that the remaining stock was tossed away.
    It may well be sitting in a bin upstairs, in the back.

24. brading

brading

As far as this goes there are company that have NOS or top quality replacement parts. There is a firm over here that springs to mind Past Part Ltd, Bury St Edmunds. Email " [email protected] ". I can always phone them for you if you like. Cheers Paul

Budget36 likes this.
  25. Have you tried these guys? They seem to be remaking some of the classic Girling stuff. No idea if would have what you are after.
    https://news.sngbarratt.com/

26. Budget36

Budget36

Is it the diameter and stroke that is an issue or is it how it mounts? Just has me curious. I don’t have knowledge of bore v stroke, etc, but see that brake MCs come in 1/8th or 1/4 inch diameter changes, is a clutch diameter change more critical?