Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aluminum slots?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard D, Sep 12, 2006.

1. 61falconwagon

61falconwagon

now you tell me :O) oh well i only got one left to do

keith

2. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

then it's fucking hilarious...at least my girlfriend seems to think so:rolleyes:

3. Blair

Blair
    from xx

My great-grandfather had a large circular saw that would attach to one rear wheel of his jeep. He used it to cut firewood. He got a new jeep which had posi-traction, the first time he hooked up his saw, the jeep took off with a saw on the wheel. After that he would raise both wheels off the ground.

4. Well shit Root you weren't gonna tell anyone.

Happy B-day bro.
    And same for rdaugird.

Now those are fun until someone goes to the E room.:D

5. 61falconwagon

61falconwagon

with all the slot talk yesterday i went ahead and polished out another one
    [​IMG]

i've got one more to do then i'm going to hit them with a buffer

keith

6. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

I dig slots! I found a set cheep with the 6 lug bolt pattern that my Apache needs. They were rough when I got them, but I did like 61falconwagon and polished them out by hand. But I only used some coarse sand paper, a dremel grinder (for some small pits), some very fine wet sand paper, and to finish it off I used SOS pads. The picture attached sucks, but they came out real nice. They are not a high polish but a just right satin. I like the satin look so I stopped there, but if I hit em' with some polishing compund they would come up to a high shine.

Attached Files:

7. drag_punk

drag_punk

I love slotted mags, I've been running them on my chevelle for 7 years but I'm building it as a late 60's style drag car, 327, 4 speed, slicks and stock colored two toned paint.
    Thanks for the advice I have two extra's sitting aroung that need polishing.

8. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

thanks I thought we had to have raggged old rusty wheels with skinny whites on em , whewww......I can go back to looking for slots now...:cool:

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Not aluminum slots, but chrome slots here. They preceded the aluminum jobs, I believe Astro started making these in '60 or '61.
    I love slot wheels, aluminum or steel.

[​IMG]

10. Looks good Keith.

I like the SOS pad hint as well.

How wide are the four bolts?

And what is the backspacing?

11. TREBOR

TREBOR
    from Arkansas

I think these are Appliance, has a script "A" on the center cap. I polished them once with an 8" buffing wheel on a 1725 RPM electric motor. It got kinda wild hanging onto that thing!

[​IMG]

12. You can do interesting things with slot mags.

Here's one, 32 re-pro caps adapted to the slots on my 32.

And another . . . home-made billet caps adapted to the same slots somew time back.

I'm liking the hubcaps the best.

There is a commercially hubcap adapter available that adapts a brushed aluminum hubcap to slots - and probably to other wheels as well.

Don't know who makes it though....

Attached Files:

13. I hear you there.

What worked well for me was to put an eyebolt into the back - already threaded - hole in a Craftsman two speed body grinder/polisher.

I hung a couple of smooth running pulleys from the garage rafters.

A smooth braided style rope (yacht braid) was strung from body grinder/polisher to the pulleys and back down to a coffee can full of weights that were the same weight as the body grinder/polisher.

With the wheel - mounted tire and all - sitting flat on the garage floor it was easy to kneel and polish the wheel with the body grinder/polisher that had a buffing wheel mounted on it.

Appropriate buffing compounds were used.

The counterweight was really a back and arm saver.

The slots were on my 63 Chevy pickup and they came out looking good.

14. Nads I've always loved steel slots as well as aluminum. They are really hard to find that the holes aren't wobbled out. It seems like a lot of guys put acron nuts on 'em and they didn't tighten up well or something like that.

I've had my eye out for a set or at least a pair of the old NASCAR wheels from about the mid '60s about forever.

Hey while I'm thinkin about it I got a budy that's a polisher (among other things) He says aluminum as well as stainless will polish out a lot better and easier if you get all the sanding scratches running in the same direction to start with.

just thought I'd throw that out there.

15. I remember my grandpa had some chrome slots in the shed that came off the '73 Dodge Tradesman van. Red, white, and blue, shag carpet inside. He died and left it to me when I was about 14 but my Dad sold it. Bastard!

16. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

'78/'79 Dodge Lil' Red Wagons had came from the factory with chrome steel slots too.

17. 61falconwagon

61falconwagon

i never thought white walls would look good on slots but i'm digging them !!!

keith

18. 61falconwagon

61falconwagon

the 15's are 5.5" wide and the 14's are 6 inches wide. I hope they look ok when on the car since the back are a tad bit smaller. the off set is 3.5"

19. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Porknbeaner, the chrome slots are hard to find because they were of piss
    poor quality and most of 'em rusted as soon as they were exposed to air.
    I had a pair on my '70 Austin Healey Sprite back in '78, it was all jacked up
    and stupid looking.

The Brits on here will remember Wolfrace wheels, they were the bomb, only
    the wealthy could afford them, the poor made do with Cobra Supaslots which
    were really odd looking.

Memories, like the windmills of my mind.

20. Paul

Paul
    Editor

misty water colored memories?

fronts are gone,
    in favor of mag spokes

but we will be using the aluminum slots on the rear...

Attached Files:

21. Everybody's gonna give you shit about the fiberglass. But isn't that how it was done back then?

22. You could still find steel but glass was lighter and in the quest on the asphalt 1320 light is good.:D

23. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Thanks. When I was a kid there was a older teenager who live down the street who had a task force truck in gray primer with slots and skinny whites. I just always thought it looked tuff and so now I have that look on mine. Don't know if it would work with wide whites though...probably not.

24. Thanks.

Did you take the width measurement inside or outside the beads?

I'm hoping I can find a pair of 5" wide - measured inside the bead - wheels similar to yours.

Looks like plugging the original four holes and drilling for a 5 x 4 1/2" pattern is a do-able deal.

I had a set of four lugs I bought for my Pinto, at least the seller assured me they were for a Pinto.
    Turned out to be V-Dub wheels.
    I gave em to a co-workers brother.

The lying SOB paid for his evil ways in the end . . . what goes around . . . and all that....:D

25. Seems like a lot of work for wheels that are still fairly common. They are all over Ebay in that pattern, width is a different story...

26. torredcuda

torredcuda
    from NH

Aluminum slots are cool but I`m another one who loves the look of the steel ones.I am going to put steel slots on my "day 2" `70 road runner-15x7 in back and 14x6 in front for the old `70`s rake.