Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical NO LEGROOM

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Born 2 Loose, Dec 14, 2022.

1. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Sometimes you have to go "Crude"!! I added 6" behind the door to the body of my '28 roadster PU & used a Dodge Grand Caravan 3rd row seat to get enough legroom, then moved the top mounts back the same, & tipped the windshield stanchions back about 4-1/2" to meet the top. I may need to do a bit of "fine tuning", but it'll be close.

alanp561 likes this.
  2. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And folks chop an channel these things??

I once (only once!) went in my buddies 29 truck. The 'squatting on the John' stance, feeling as if my nose was almost against the screen was not something I enjoyed. Not sure I could have ever got used to it. (6'3", 250)

Chris

Budget36 likes this.
  3. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

See picture below. I saved this from the HAMB years ago. It was for a Model T but could apply here. What he did was change the angle of the angled floor board to make it steeper/shorten it. Therefore giving you more leg room. You can see on the side wall where the floor used to be as evidenced by the triangular rusty area..

upload_2022-12-15_9-9-44.png

4. squirrel

squirrel

That's a great idea...but it never seems to get finished....

:)

5. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Amen. mini van seat.jpg

6. All of this^^^^^^ I owned the Rocky33tm and spent some time driving a locals street rodded 34. He was 6'3". To drive he had the seatback thinned as much as possible and the throttle spoon was mounted above the small tranny hump.

Also, if you can get your ass down and your knees up and sit in a more reclined position you gain leg room. Many of the seats shown are just a flat bench and fail in this regard.

MojoRacing, alanp561 and Blues4U like this.
  7. Getting rid of the angled toe board altogether is a game changer

8. Your lucky, The 33/34 pickup has a couple of inches more foot room than a '32.

I'm 6'4" tall and made my seat from plywood and foam, the secret is to make the seat as thin as possible to the back of the cab.

The photo's are of my '32 pickup and Dave's confused pickup, both using the same ideas for the seats. HRP

[​IMG]

It is a tight fit but to get out every hour or so to stretch alls good,

[​IMG]

And Dave's nice interior.

[​IMG]

bchctybob and alanp561 like this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What do you mean? It has a whole chassis now, and about half of the body.

I am not allowed to post it here.

bchctybob likes this.
  10. error404

error404
    from CA

for my 33 Chevy, I ended up lowering the floor, and pushing the pedal assembly forward as far as I could. It's still cramped, but alot better than how it was done before me. Pedals are probably 3 inches farther forward, and 3 inches farther down. and the area for the feet is alot better, no more knees sticking way up.

11. Squablow

Squablow

I did this in my T roadster, and even though it's barely only 2" deep, it made a huge difference in comfort. The bottom of the heel of my shoes is the only part that contacts the floor, so that's the only area that had to be dropped, and 2" there is as good as 2" of height in the seat. My steering column is also pretty long and the back of the cab is the seat frame, with foam and upholstery attached directly to it, making the back of the seat as thin as possible while still being comfortable.

I still feel like a gorilla in a teacup, but the dropped toe board really does help a lot, and is easy.

20220626_172824_HDR.jpg

vtx1800, VF-1, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  12. I did similar in a Model A RPU. Reduced the toe board by at least half, which in turn effectively gave 3'' or so extra legroom. Which made a huge difference. (Body had no subrail or toeboard structure so I was free to make that how I wanted anyway.)

13. guilld

guilld

I have a 29 A and they are tight. Added a tilt wheel and that helped. I do not know where your master cylinder is or what you have done interior wise but I saw a solution at Shades of the Past this year. A guy there had an A model pickup. He had just dropped the floor from the seat towards the firewall. He essentially built a box and inserted it in the floor. It made sitting in the truck more like sitting in a chair and increased the leg room significantly.

14. SDS

SDS

Some guys make a "foot well" in the toe board area - if you have room, you could try that

15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yeah, but that's not a closed cab pickup, is it? That seat like that will eat up valuable leg room in a pickup.

bchctybob likes this.
  16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I liked the idea of taking these measurements. Now I know the OP is dealing with a 34 and I have a 30, so we're not dealing with the same thing, but for any Model A closed cab pickup guys that run across this thread, here are the measurements from my 30 pickup using those bucket seats from Northern Tool I posted earlier, plus modified seat base's from Speedway.
    Critical Dimensions.jpg
    Obviously smaller dimensions all around, though the critical seat back to brake pedal is actually 1" longer, if my maths are correct.

bchctybob likes this.
  17. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let me refer you to @anthony myrick 's solution in post #13. ;)

anthony myrick likes this.
  18. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, it’s time for all you Biggo’s to just walk away,
    and leave these Awful Trucks to us Littles.

NashRodMan, Crazy Steve and Blues4U like this.
  19. Photo attach …
    Not a pick up but a beater model A . Pushed stock base back 5” used original leather with the help of some two inch foam and plywood I’m cruising …

Attached Files:

20. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@HOTRODPRIMER , Danny, were you at the Caravelle Hotel in Christiansted, St. Croix, USVI
    in 1990? I swear that looks just like the shower curtain in my room;)
    upload_2022-12-16_19-49-0.png

Turnipseed, Blues4U and bchctybob like this.
  21. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I used movie theater seats 075.JPG 067.JPG

Attached Files:

• 066.JPG
      066.JPG
      File size:
      372.2 KB
      Views:
    • 067.JPG
      067.JPG
      File size:
      394.1 KB
      Views:
    Shutter Speed and bchctybob like this.
  22. Okay, I am 6' 1" and I used the seat out of an '86 Ranger for my '32. I had to narrow it by about 5". Narrowing it was fairly easy and I was planning to re-upholster anyway. The seatback is thin which is good and it also tilts forward so you have a bit of storage behind the seat, an added bonus.

CIMG1075.JPG

Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
  23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I had a 36 Dodge pickup that had been chopped and channeled over the frame. I raised the channel to 1/2 over the frame. Dodges have a deeper cowl than the Fords, so I had plenty of leg room, you could sit stretched out. But you had to sit on the floor, even with a set of Corvette buckets you sat too high, you were looking right into the windshield upper header unless you bent over. I’m only 5’11”, so not real tall. I ended up selling it because I knew I’d never be comfortable driving it.

24. So do you have a picture of this that you could share? Thanks in advance, I might be heading down this road.

25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

26. VF-1

VF-1

No good solution on a ‘34 pick-up. My friend had one, and had to get out and stretch every hour. A very uncomfortable hotrod. Sell it, and get yourself a fat fender Ford. :rolleyes:

Crazy Steve likes this.
  27. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NashRodMan stated the toe board angle, I totally ageee. When I replaced the ancient wood floors in my channeled 3W, I put my steel toe board as close to vertical as I could. I definitely gained some legroom. Also I run ‘68 Vette buckets, which led themselves to the ass down position. While not the ultimate in cushy seating, it’s a lot better than the original angles were, given the car’s engine set back. 2C78AD72-89EE-4CDC-BC8A-D9A1AD96CFD6.jpeg 4C70A1D1-1EC0-47F2-9BE3-46B9507C99E4.jpeg 8ED579FC-8BC3-4B8D-8581-E4D4924865E4.jpeg E4668398-BCC9-4984-BA4A-B2F9F1946BA8.jpeg

28. One of the guys in our club has a beautiful '29 A roadster PU. I'm a long-legged 6' and it's all I can do to fold myself into it with the top up. The owner is 5'9", no problem for him...

29. I see an extra 6" you left on the table by not eliminating the toe board altogether

Blues4U and 19Eddy30 like this.
  30. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

^^^^ & move peddles more to fire wall,
    I know yr 3w was built in 60s Miner changes will not take away from its history.

Tman likes this.