Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1963 409 4 speed impala

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by halfsack, Mar 29, 2020.

1. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Awesome Car

halfsack likes this.
  2. halfsack

halfsack

Well, all, as for another update. Sad to say, the recently rebuilt/repaired 409 didn't last but maybe 300 miles. So extremely disheartening. It has been pulled out of the car, and sent off to the place that built the engine in the racecar. Will probably need at least 1 sleeve, 1 piston, and if the heads aren't repairable, or the cost is too much to justify for stock heads, it will be getting a pair of bob walla aluminum heads. I really wish I knew what was causing this thing to self destruct. I mean I'd understand it if I was beating the snot out of it, but I was cruising on a back road in 4th gear at maybe 1900 to 2000 rpm. So hears hoping that the 3rd and final place can get this damn thing right. I have faith in the builder as he built us one hell of an engine for my racecar. Will try and keep you all updates as I find out.

3. Damn that sucks, good luck on the next one

halfsack likes this.
  4. halfsack

halfsack

Do you still have those covers my friend?

5. yessir

halfsack likes this.
  6. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've heard some people say that 409's are tempermental, but this is ridiculous! What happens when it lets go, and is it the same thing every time?
    Maybe if you paint the engine orange it will stop pissing on your leg! :D LOL! (Sorry, just trying to throw a little humor at a shitty situation ;)) Looking forward to update's. :cool:

Thor1, halfsack and Tickety Boo like this.
  7. Truckedup

Truckedup

409 can be tempermental with tune up like some other hi po engines back then..But driven within it's limits should cause no mehanical failures...unless there's sloppy workmanship...

halfsack likes this.
  8. halfsack

halfsack

Keeps breaking exhaust valves. It was supposedly clearance due to the larg roller cam that's in it.

9. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it breaking them due to lack of clearance or is it dropping them because of other valvetrain issue's?

10. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Cruising along at 2000, rpm seems like a retainer must have failed, maybe check if the retainers you have installed are up to the roller spring pressures your running.
    They might crack after a few hard runs then fail :oops:

Thor1 and 427 sleeper like this.
  11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That's to bad your having so much trouble.
    These engines aren't that complicated but there are things that need more attention than some other engine platforms do.

Thor1 and Tickety Boo like this.
  12. v8flat44

v8flat44

This Ford guy loves that "W Motor" & the car. You,ll get the valve thing fixed & have one sweet ride.

13. halfsack

halfsack

Retainers are perfectly fine and not cracked. No spring bind either.

Tickety Boo likes this.
  14. halfsack

halfsack

My guess would be lack of clearance. So I may even go to a smaller roller cam just to be safe. It has a crane solid roller in it now with .655 lift. I may just go with an old isky 505c-62 if I can find one. They're about .560 lift

15. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

On that cylinder did the valve bend or break, what was the condition of the exhaust valve keeper and retainer?

427 sleeper likes this.
  16. halfsack

halfsack

For the longest time we were fighting cylinder #7. This time it was #5. The valve itself broke. The bottom half of the stem and head are gone. And like said prior, both were in good condition and in place as should be. Below is a pic of #5 exhaust. It blew up bad enough that it spit shit out of the exhaust. But some was caught at the bottom of the header dump. 20221210_112802.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2022
  17. halfsack

halfsack

I always try and be spot on tune up wise. I haven't even had a chance to even see what it's limits even may be.

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Am I seeing a hardened seat in there, is that a coolant leak at that stain?
    If so, leaking on the exhaust valve stem could have made the valve hang open.

Tickety Boo and Dick Stevens like this.
  19. halfsack

halfsack

That makes sense also due to corrosion on the stem.

20. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Good eye catching that!

21. halfsack

halfsack

So im also assuming that the heads are now junk if they've had hardened seats installed? Which now would also make sense in why I kept getting moisture up in the heads.

22. When I was playing with 348/409's I was always told to never cut for hardened seats. For this reason.

427 sleeper and theHIGHLANDER like this.
  23. halfsack

halfsack

Great..... lol. I do believe the place it went originally put in hardened seats. It is what it is

scotty t likes this.
  24. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Post your info to 348-409.com if you haven’t already (I didn’t go through all the posts to check). Add a question to the Interact, Forum, 349-409 Engines forum. Great knowledge base there.

John

25. halfsack

halfsack

Welp, without any further words from the engine shop, here are my plans for the 409 for now if the block is savable. One sleeve, one piston, remove the crane .655 lift solid roller and go down to an isky 505c-62 solid roller, and a pair of bob walla heads with my current valvetrain.

26. sunbeam

sunbeam

Another giveaway that it was not an original 409 no factory tach.

27. halfsack

halfsack

Thats where you're wrong. I removed the tach because it did not work. See attached pictures.

Attached Files:

28. banjorear

banjorear

That’s your post? WTF, man? OP came here after having issues with two engine builds that are both heartbreaking and frustrating and you want to nit pick whether or not it was an original 409 car? Jesus, man.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
  29. sunbeam

sunbeam

I applaud you for stating that it was not an original 09 car I was just pointing out things to look for when questioning a car that is supposed the be original I am so tired of I have a original 1961 409 Biscayne adds.

30. halfsack

halfsack

Thank you. The only way to honestly tell if it is a real 409 car is to either have bought it brand new, or to find the build sheet. I do know for a fact that it was not a factory 425hp 409 car due to it being a factory ac/ps/pb optioned car. Now, the 340hp cars could come with those options as the block in the car is a QC code which denotes a 340hp 409. But anyways, enough about that. Thank you to those that are questioning the issues with the last two builds by two different places. I'm praying that the 3rd and final place is the winner of them all as I already have one of their engines in my racecar and it's a screamer.

SS327 and Thor1 like this.