Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Generator diagnosis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Dec 15, 2022.

1. squirrel

squirrel

I'm trying to sell my Rambler, the price has dropped pretty far, and no takers yet...but someone is coming to look tomorrow. I drove it last weekend, worked fine. Fired it up Monday to go on some errands, and the Gen light stayed on after it started...so I took another car instead.

Today it finally warmed up enough to look at it. I got out the volt meter and measured voltage at the F and A wires on the voltage regulator while it was running, both zero. I did some reading, to remind myself how they work, and decided the generator just isn't making any juice. Which is kind of strange to happen after just sitting a few days. So, I took out the generator, and looked inside. Seems one of the brush springs broke. That's a new one on me!

They sell them on ebay, for twenty bucks...I don't have any old generators laying around any more, since the big move last year. I guess I'll have to make a spring.

brushes.jpg
    spring.jpg
    new spring ebay 54569DT.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
    pprather, hrm2k, bchctybob and 9 others like this.
  2. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Regular extension spring, bit of heat and some pliers.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

@squirrel:
    Actually, that was quite common at the garage I apprenticed at, in '57-'61.
    We worked on maintenance/repair of everything rolling, mostly old cars even then...
    Red Mayfield had a wall cupboard 20 feet long that stocked generator, starter, and distributor small parts.
    From there I went to the Cadillac dealer in San Jose. (I was 'relieved' to work on newer, shiny cars by then!)

hrm2k, bchctybob and squirrel like this.
  4. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Any Ace Hardware their ,Here they have a section 2 allows with Brushes ,springs assortment of items that used to find in Country hardware stores, even gun screws

hrm2k, bchctybob and squirrel like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I looked in my box of springs, and found one extension spring that's the right OD, almost the right wire gauge, but the wrong "handed", it's left hand wound instead of right hand wound. So I had to change the ends a little to make it work. But it's in, and it charges again, and it didn't cost nuthin to fix it.

box of springs.jpg brush fixed.jpg

6. Good luck with selling. :)

hrm2k and squirrel like this.
  7. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Love those $0 fixes!

hrm2k likes this.
  8. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Second the ACE Hardware, my locals have a big selection of old springs. A lot of later AMCs had a lot of Ford electrical stuff, could that be a Ford gennie? I have a bunch, car & tractor styles

9. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I was going to suggest a clothespin spring.

Gary

bchctybob likes this.
  10. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Love the way you operate Squirrel. Well done!

11. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

A neat fix. The best type.

12. squirrel

squirrel

This is a Delco generator, all the electrics on this particular Rambler are Delco. And they're all the original units, as far as I can tell...correct matching date codes on them.

That would be way too stiff, unfortunately. Pretty close to the right size and shape, though.

13. The junk drawer comes through again!

427 sleeper and Algoma56 like this.
  14. bchctybob

bchctybob

Don’t you just love it when you have just the right doohickey in stock and you don’t have to drive anywhere for parts? Pretty satisfying. And people wonder why we have these bizarre collections of random parts….

15. Aren't you glad that did not happen on your recent Rambler trip!

16. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, I drove the car 10,000 miles all over the country, and it waited till I was at home, to break. I love old cars.

17. SASROD

SASROD

Did you change the other side while you were in there? Might not be far behind.

18. squirrel

squirrel

No, I didn't. I expect it might break sometime in the next 60 years or so, too.

guthriesmith and sidevalve8ba like this.
  19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"So I'm going to do the right thing, no I'm not" Derek Bieri @ VGG

vtx1800 likes this.
  20. Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

bchctybob likes this.
  21. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Probably 75% of "no charge" problems with old generators can be fixed with a few taps with a ballpein in the area of the brushes. Probably the biggest cause of failure is failing to polarize a new installation. There are also a lot of small-diameter tractor & equipment alternators that can be made to fit inside a generator case

22. squirrel

squirrel

Sometimes the contacts in the voltage regulator get dirty...especially the cut out relay. That's an easy fix, if you figure out the cause before you screw up other things :)

23. Jim, I am glad that you used your ingenuity to solve your problem. As far as springs go where, I live in Shippensburg, Pa. we have the supposedly oldest hardware store in Pa. Pague and Fegan. They have a great spring selection. It is nice to go there to buy 1's and 2's of what you need, not like the big box stores.. I feel that if this store does not have it, you don't need it. But if they don't have it they will get it for you.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  24. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Sometimes you just have to MacGyver some stuff! That’s what mechanics do.

bchctybob and firstinsteele like this.
  25. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Nice thing with old springs is they were usually just sourced from outside, using what was available. The governor spring broke on my 1947 Clark Trukloader forklift with a tiny Continental engine, I took it down to Ace and found one on the wall display, perfect match

bchctybob likes this.
  26. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

I just did full overhaul for 58 fordson major starter.
    It did nothing when it arrive to my shop.
    Just take it apart.grease the bushings.
    Sanding brushes armature etc..and most important...disssembly brush assembly and clean all oxidation away.put it back together and works like new.

2Blue2, bchctybob and squirrel like this.