Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The 56 Chevy Continued Adventure Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitnessguy, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Filling holes! just a little further on the sheet metal side... just a little further

IMG_8677.jpg IMG_8676.jpg IMG_8675.jpg

2. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Keep ticking the little things off the list. It's amazing with these old girls all the little things that pile up when really going over the car closely. The passenger side top fender mount had been poorly repaired at some point and when we pulled the fender off the bolt broke off in the nut. Cut out the ugly and fabbed a new piece. Got a few other odd jobs ticked off none noteworthy for any pics.

IMG_8681.jpg IMG_8682.jpg IMG_8683.jpg

3. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's one Cool-Ass trick!!! It sure beat's the shit out of trying to drill it out and then breaking the drill bit off in it! :cool:

Stogy, Fitnessguy and chevy57dude like this.
  4. Squablow

Squablow

I'm all for blending in the paint. It's the same paint that was on it when you were a kid, a bit of history. And it's not like you couldn't change it later if you get sick of it. But I bet you won't get sick of it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  5. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Trying to keep ticking things off the list. Welded in some of the front portion of the inner door structure on the old rear door so it's nice and solid. No need to close in the entire piece but enough to give it good strength. Fabbed new tabs for the garnish moulding screws to mount. Fits nice and snug. I still need to fab up the channel in the front portion of the window opening for the glass to land on. Drilled the new holes in the door for the side stainless. I'm focusing on one side of the car at a time so getting all the passenger side work dialed in then I'll switch to the drivers. Some more stuff to do on this side but it's coming.

IMG_8749.jpg IMG_8748.jpg

6. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Looking for a 150 steering wheel horn button if anyone has one. I bought one on Ebay and of course with my luck the shipment got lost!
    s-l1600.jpg

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Been doing homework on what rad I want to run and after lots of checking I reached out a to few companies with some basic questions that i didn't see on their sites. Out of the companies I contacted, hands down Cold Case was the only one to actually reply and did so right away with all the info I needed and was friendly doing so. Sounds silly but in today's customer service world (the zero service world) getting replies and helpful/friendly ones are a rarity and appreciated. I like that they build a rad to look stock too. I'll paint it black as well.

https://www.coldcaseradiators.com/

RPE562-web_0.jpg

Stogy, Gasser 57, tomkelly88 and 6 others like this.
  8. Squablow

Squablow

I too like the look of that radiator, at least, better than most of the aluminum replacement radiators available. I think if it were painted black like you said, it won't look out of place at all.

Stogy, Fitnessguy and guthriesmith like this.
  9. Yep, agreed. We put a similar looking radiator in my sons Edsel and it cools great and sure looks better than the more fabricated ones.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Fitnessguy like this.
  10. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Who did your engine work for you? I'm about to take the plunge on our Ford 300 inline 6 and research is turning up conflicting ratings for local guys. Also noted you did the TKX. Did you get that through Gears to Go? Were you happy with who you sourced it from? Seems these big projects can go one of two ways. They either make you crave getting into the next one or they send you down the path to a completely different hobby. I now need to do a full custom after learning how to hack my way through rust repair. Great project and a great read, oh ya, I vote to keep the original paint - we did the same!

Stogy and Fitnessguy like this.
  11. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Keith Korecki of K&S Machine in Kelowna built the 409 for my coupe and is assembling the big block for the 56 as we speak. Been around forever, knows his stuff and is just a really nice guy. Loves to sit and bullshit about cars, motors and racing. I got the Tremec from Mopac as I'm able to use my friends wholesale account. Regardless, they'd be my choice for where you're located.

Stogy and WhitewallWill like this.
  12. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Needed to take a break from sheet metal work so I decided to start tackling the steering column. I'm going to rebuild the original and I'm gonna be running the 150 wheel I am currently restoring. Pulled the inner tube out and filled in the bottom of the column where the shifter levers were located so I can run the unisteer bottom bearing. Want to leave some meat on the welds so it's nice and strong & safe being steering related. Just for fun I mocked up this 55 Pontiac wheel I have. Need to order a longer splined shaft than what I had on hand.

Scored this super clean belt line molding set. Not inexpensive but these days nothing seems to be. More sheet metal work this afternoon... :(

IMG_9016.jpg IMG_9017.jpg IMG_9018.jpg IMG_9019.jpg IMG_9020.jpg IMG_9021.jpg IMG_9022.jpg

13. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thing's are looking Fantastic! I wish I had known about that lower column bearing when I was doing my '56!

Stogy and benchseat4speed like this.
  14. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Ya I really want to use the original column. Crazy what new columns from the big brands are worth now.

15. Yeah, they are off the chain

Stogy likes this.
  16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Why the lower bearing exactly? BE80F4E0-3416-4ED9-A026-685FD8A1D98A.png

Stogy likes this.
  17. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Without the lower bearing then the 3/4" shaft would be sitting loose through the bottom of the column.

Stogy likes this.
  18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Maybe I missed something but didn’t you mention stock steering box was being rebuilt?

Stogy likes this.
  19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Or a manual 525 steering box for that new frame?

Stogy and Moriarity like this.
  20. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Sorry, new frame comes with R&P, not a stock style box.

Stogy likes this.
  21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think it would be cool to build a 3 door out of a wagon, like a 72 Suburban:)

Stogy likes this.
  22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Maybe we not talk about it anymore. But it does give a reason for the support bearing.

Stogy and Moriarity like this.
  23. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

ha ya the big bosses might yell at me... Looking forward to the header clearance that's for sure!

Stogy likes this.
  24. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Finally received the hard as hell to find 150 horn button. Guy had the correct retainer for it as well which was a good score. Just love the simple 150 wheel & button. Think I'll remove the remaining flaked chrome and just leave the beige colour to match the inset of the dash. Once I get in the rest of the column parts I need to restore it I can get that ticked off the list. Fun fun

69532956869__5D0346F8-9DB0-41FF-860C-B699577DC467.jpg IMG_9054.jpg IMG_9055.jpg

25. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a clean, classic, timeless style of steering wheel that can blend with any trim level. I think you might be scraping off the beige paint and not the chrome, though. Looking good Bro!

Stogy, benchseat4speed and Squablow like this.
  26. Squablow

Squablow

I agree with 427 Sleeper, it's the paint flaking off of a chrome base, not the other way around. Put some paint stripper on there and wipe that old paint off, it'll be all chrome. Then you can polish it up and decide if you want to leave it that way or repaint the beige.

Stogy and 427 sleeper like this.
  27. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

You got good taste in steering wheels, pal. Gonna look good in there when it's all done.

Stogy likes this.
  28. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

You guys were correct, it was beige paint. Guessing it came that way from the factory? I boiled the cap in vinegar and the paint rubbed right off with some light use of steel wool. Shined right up which I think I will leave it that way for now.

Stogy and 427 sleeper like this.
  29. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Thanks brother, yes I just love the simplicity of the wheel. your Impala wheel is very similar in that regard

Stogy and benchseat4speed like this.