Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Moving...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jthepburn76, Dec 12, 2022.

1. I tried searching for the info before posting a new thread but couldn't find anything to answer my question.
    I live in CA and own a 53 Ford with it's original license plates. We're planning on moving to Tennessee in about a year and I was wondering if there is a way to register the car in TN but keep the original CA plates on it. I've already read about registering it as an "Antique Auto" and getting the TN year of manufacture plates, but is it possible to keep the original CA plates on the car?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Guessing the only way to run California plates is maybe on the front if Tennessee doesn’t require one. I don’t know of any state that allows you to register another states tags.

3. squirrel

squirrel

I've never heard of any way to register a car in a different state, but not use that state's plates. Good luck...I think you want to do the impossible.

(you could just keep it registered in California, I've seen people who never admit they moved)

4. egads

egads

I live in Missouri and my avatar Pontiac came from Lancaster Ca and has been registered in California for the last 30 years. Every year they send the renewal to my address in Mo. Don't have to smog it but the sticker is getting more expensive every year:rolleyes:.

5. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

post office box in ca, then have your mail fwd to tenn
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

6. Sounds like @egads has the answer to keep CA tags on the car if that is what you want to do.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  7. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I'm pretty sure every state has laws that say you must register your car in state within some time period (typically 30 or 60 days) after becoming a resident.

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Join the military. You can register your car in your home state of record regardless of what state you're stationed in. Or at least that's how it was when the military joined me. But that was a long time ago.

9. ken bogren

ken bogren

Does TN require a front plate? If not you might be able to mount the CA plate there and a TN plate on the back of the car.

210superair and guthriesmith like this.
  10. egads

egads

I've never been stopped or questioned about it in 30 years and some of my friends are local cops and state patrol, My insurance co. also has no problem with it. Might just be Missouri tho:):)

11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Don't try it. Once found out, it can cost a ton of money in fines and fees.
    My idiot brother in law tried something like this. He lives in AZ. but works 150 miles inside of CA.
    The clown stole my address and got a CA. drivers license with it.
    He kept his car registered in AZ. When the CHP got him on his weekly trip to CA., he whipped out the CA. license which didn't jive with the AZ. plates. When they ran his CA license they found that he was carrying both state licenses.
    He blames the CHP.

12. We don’t have to run front plates in Tennessee…on my ‘46 ford truck I had a 1946 Tennessee tag that I ran on the back and just kept the antique tag that I got under the front seat…never a problem. Just a FYI about a few tag regulations

jthepburn76 and alanp561 like this.
  13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My son moved from Settle to SoCal over a year ago. I told him he only had a short time to get CA plates on his car. But the WA plates still had months on them so he gave me that "you don't sh*t dad look". Fast forward to this October and his trip to the DMV for CA plates. Turns out they knew he had been a resident for over a year. Probably because he filed CA state income taxes. But how they found out doesn't matter. What does matter is that with penalties and fees it cost him a grand to get CA plates. Feel free to push the limit with the DMV or the local traffic cop. You probably won't have any problem, until you do. And then it may get expensive. JMO.

14. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tennessee doesn't require front license plates. Sorry, didn't read the previous posts.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

A guy here in town was pulled over for not registering his vehicle in the town where he lived. Was fined. When he went to pay his bill, the lady said in the 25 years of working at the courthouse, she had never seen anybody get fined for that. I told him, it`s because you look like a hippy. That`s why you got fined.

16. Just find a '53 Tennessee plate.

pigIRON63, egads and guthriesmith like this.
  17. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Don’t understand the attraction of owning and bearing Cali plates on a car.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

because California is the Hot Rod Capital of the world. especially Southern California

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One might want to remember that in some parts of the country there is zero fastination with the Cali thing and you had best Leave Cali behind and not brag about it to the locals. You might get highly offended by their comments.

20. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Sometimes it's best not to be cool...... if that's what it's all about. That's what it looks like to me.

NoSurf, chryslerfan55, Tman and 2 others like this.
  21. RAK

RAK

He wants to keep the original plates to the car on the car, I get it, but having lived all over the country I think the best way is to get the Tn. plate on the rear and keep the front original Ca. tag on the front. That way you have the best of both worlds and are legal. And the advice about fitting into your new home was sound, embrace it and get along with your new friends and neighbors without constantly saying about how much better your last home was, you won't regret it.

22. Budget36

Budget36

Being in Tn and driving around with original plates, no one would probably notice. See if it’s legal to not have to turn in the plates, and use them when you get to an event/show, etc.
    It must have been parked when plate changes came. I know my dad had to surrender his plates on his ‘57 in (have to look at he plate to verify) ‘63? for black plates. The plate is stamped with the last two digits of the year they switched.
    The only relevant info I can give you is I was pulled over in Az a few times when I lived in Phoenix. Once in my car, once on my MC, both had Ca plates. One of those times since I was a resident of Az, I did get written up for being a resident and not having a Az drivers license. Neither of those times did they say a thing about my plates, and both registrations were in my name.
    Have you looked through Tn DMV site for the info?

23. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

We moved to Tennessee three years ago and one of the first things we did was change the plates on everything. People around here are not impressed with the Cali attitude. If you really want to run the CA plates, maybe you should stay in CA. People here are very friendly and helpful but, if you try to act like you are better than they are because you are from CA, it won't fly. That said, I hope you come and enjoy it here. Where abouts you moving to?

24. Budget36

Budget36

I don’t think the OP is trying to act as if he’s better than anyone. I think he just wants to keep parts from the car it came with.
    I’ve seen that similar type of reply a few times in this thread, what triggered that thought in your minds?

25. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Just to muddle the issue, when I used to write up inspections in Pa, we had a customer with a Pa issued owner registration and tag. It stated that he lived in Md.

Cannot deny that, but the present day action in Tenn is very very healthy
    Many beautiful and respectable rides there

For the record I would be very happy, rodwise, living in The Volunteer State.
    Like Weedburner 40 says

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
    chryslerfan55 and Weedburner 40 like this.
  26. twenty8

twenty8

You're from California. You won't get it. I'm from Australia and even I get it.
    Sorry man, but you set that up perfectly and it was just too good to resist.......:D:D:D;)

27. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

It happens, with the general public. But I believe Rodders to be of a higher social refinement, considering all the daily sacrifices made to drive a work of art. In any case living in TN is a pleasant experience. I Know Mr JTHepburn will find life wonderful in Tennessee.

28. Budget36

Budget36

Lol! I think TV has warped so many folks minds. Mercy, I lived through the days of “Valley Girls” when in my little hock town at the time all the damned girls started talking differently at school;).
    Hey, next time in-the states, let me know. We’ll have a few cold ones (on me) and I’ll PROVE I’m not better than anyone;)

29. twenty8

twenty8

Step one to not thinking you are better than anyone else is being able to take a joke.......... you pass!!!
    I just might take you up on your offer someday.:cool:

30. Budget36

Budget36

Well, I was born in CA, left to Az when I was 17 or 18. Lived in Az for 5 or 6 years, and moved back.
    Geesh, for so many years I wanted to move back to Az and buy a place in Scottsdale and call it home.
    Damned housing prices though, I think around 60/70k at the time;)