Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Paint Booth Alternative

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheSteamDoc, Dec 1, 2022.

1. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I put up a 10x20 canopy then closed it in the best I could. Install some exhaust fans and some filters on each side for incoming air. Worked pretty good for the paint job I had to do. It then worked good for extra work space to keep me out of the sun or rain and with the lights it worked good for night time work also.
    I have just taken this down after being up for around 10 years.
    20170607_204711.jpg

3. Good alternative to a paint booth and about the cheapest- 2x4s or PVC pipe frame covered with visqueen. Consider adequate ventilation. When to paint will be determined by ambient temperature and humidity per the paint specs.
    What I did

Attached Files:

Hamtown Al likes this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bouncy house, works better if the sun isn't out, talk about a green house! But it does keep the debris out of the paint and it contains the overspray. I live in a carefully controlled subdivision, the nice thing about the booth is it goes up in seconds and down a bit slower but you can set it up, paint, tear it down before your neighbors get home from work.
    upload_2022-12-1_11-31-58.png
    upload_2022-12-1_11-32-29.png
    upload_2022-12-1_11-33-9.png
    If the OP didn't live 8 million miles away I'd rent it to him. HAMB traveling paint booth. Kind of a cool idea. If any local blokes want to use it, let me know. Bouncy house balls not included.

MOTOV8N, NoSurf, williebill and 7 others like this.
  5. How much coin did you drop on it Billy? I've seen others that have bought them, but nobody ever talks about how much they spent.

guthriesmith and Bandit Billy like this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was somewhere around $800 delivered. It came with 2 blowers, one to inflate and one to ventilate. I added a third (explosion proof) to draw air out the back which I am glad I did.

7. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Go to a local body shop they will sometimes rent their booth out for a day or two.

8. My neighbors don't care what I do
    cows next door-3.JPG

MOTOV8N, NoSurf, williebill and 3 others like this.
  9. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I use urethane SS and I find it fairly straightforward though I have had to ask advice on the forum a couple of times. I’d say lighting is key if you are spraying a dark colour especially.

My first paint job was done with a 3hp portable compressor in a way too cramped garage. Single stage gun metal metallic. I knew enough on how to avoid “tiger stripes” and only had one small run. I sanded them out and was surprised you couldn’t tell. My nephew who was in the trade was impressed and asked where I got my car painted...I was quite proud to say I did it. Man I miss Centari!

Just Gary likes this.
  10. millersgarage

millersgarage

my back yard is my favorite paint booth

I know many guys that just hang plastic in their garages and get a great paint job.

guthriesmith likes this.
  11. Neither do mine. At least not for a few hundred acres. Just can't run your mouth, because your enemies just gotta make a phone call, and you're somewhere in the $25,000 range in the hole to the feds.

guthriesmith likes this.
  12. But when you're painting 1 car every 5 years, nothing much will be said. When you paint 2-3 times a week on average, yeah, they get serious about your waste and overspray.

13. 79686416-7A18-403E-A325-D12392339548.jpeg E28A0398-5E52-4B27-BB07-6A242E9F952C.jpeg
    My latest paint shanty…
    58EA9EB8-A105-4C72-B79A-667111EFC3D9.jpeg

MOTOV8N, NoSurf, williebill and 6 others like this.
  14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good place to say it again, VENTILATION IS CRITICAL TO YOUR HEALTH!

Those fumes will get thru your eyes, your skin, it isn't just the fog. Fuck the dirt in the paint thinking, get the fumes out. 30 min after the last coat that exhaust is best still running. Any old pricks (like me) that chime in with "...for years and I didn't worry about blee blah hoo hah..." well you likely didn't work with this toxic plastic shit either so keep it to yourself. YOU need the ventilation. That it cleans the air too is a welcome side effect but especially at home, GET THE FUCKIN PURGED FUMES OUTTA THERE!

Ok, y'all can go out n play now:cool:

15. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Anyone use the turbine painters for a car, supposed to be low overspray? Looking at the bouncy house option too. I have a nice shop out back but really don’t want the overspray in there.

16. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

do you have a link to that one? Considering the portable route.

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. Slopok

Slopok

That reminds me, I have to get a patch kit to repair the holes in my inflatable! :rolleyes:

Oh...never mind, you're talkin' bout a different type of inflatable! :eek:

40FORDPU, Just Gary and Bandit Billy like this.
  19. millersgarage

millersgarage

@65pacecar I use a TP Tools turbine. I like it. Very little overspray, but it really throws the paint out, took a while to get used to it.

65pacecar likes this.
  20. big john d

big john d
    from ma

amazon wedding tent 1 0 x 30 for a little over 100 maybe if get to use it a few times

Just Gary likes this.