Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fitting type

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnfin, Nov 29, 2022.

1. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

1. What type of o-ring fitting is this called 2. is it different between a/c and fuel and 3. is there a hand tool to make that kind of fitting?

Attached Files:

2. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1. Dunno
    2. Not sure if there are differences (sizes maybe), but probably differences in the o ring / washer due to pressures and materials.
    3. Yes. I have a Mastercool (hand operated hydraulic) that will form the crimp on the tubing. Kinda spendy but if you do much with brake pipes it's worth it. Probably just about any garage that deals with anything remotely modern should be able to help you out.

Chris

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  3. Fordors

Fordors

The tube is formed with a flange, rather than a flare, the flange backs up the o-ring so it’s not damaged by the tube nut. I suppose you could use that type for fuel but you would need the proper female fitting. The green o-ring shown is recommended for 134a A/C installations.

4. 1.Straight thread o ring fitting

2. yes ac o rings need to be able to be used with the oil in an ac system

3 yes @Happydaze mentioned the tool.

Truckdoctor Andy and olscrounger like this.

5. I think that’s like a GM fuel filter fittings (90s-2000s) and a/c 134a. The o ring denotes what type of system it’s used in. Like said above the Mastercool tool will make that shape.

6. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just to clarify, a typical Mastercool set will do more than brake flares. Mine will do 45 and 37 degree single and double flares in 3/16, 1/4, 3/8 and maybe 1/2 tube as well as the fuel /a/c crimps (won't call them flares) in, I think, a couple of sizes. More applications than I imagine I will ever use but I'm more than happy with the use I've had.

Chris

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the Mastercool tool that operates with a wrench. It is the same tool body, just with a forcing screw, instead of the hydraulic ram.

I opted for that one, because I do AC hoses only 2-3 times-a-year.

It is much less expensive.

It is $167.99, versus, $577.09. It does not, however, come with crimping dies for slim-line hoses. Those are less common, though. They can be had separately, if desired.

Truckdoctor Andy, rockable and Tman like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you planning on making hard lines for AC?

9. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

FEMALE O-RING BOSS

10. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

are most flares like on brake lines 45 or 37 degrees? and... where do you need to double flare vs single flare?

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brake lines are 45º, most commonly, and you always need a double flare there.

12. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

37° would be your AN fittings, for the anodized aluminum fittings and hoses.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

37º can also be steel fittings for hydraulics, as well, as JIC is the fit equivalent of AN.

I have AN, JIC and SAE 45º inverted flare all on the same car, as fuel, power steering, and brakes, respectively.

57 Fargo likes this.
  14. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

So if I go to the hardware store or lowes they carry the brass water compression and flare fittings. I am only dealing with 37psi of fuel pressure so I think it might work.. Question is can I use brass flare nuts on steel line with a single flare to hold 37psi?

15. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like you mean compression fittings and olives? There's no flare as such or flare nuts with compression fittings.

Compression fittings should be ample for 37psi (that's at the lower end of domestic water pressure).

What are you using 37psi of fuel pressure on? Just curious.

Chris

16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

A brass compression fitting is rated 200 PSI working pressure , used correctly .

17. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

Injected Chevy L82. From what I have read most injected cars run from 35 to 65 psi. If I use an AN fitting can I get away with a single flare on a steel line. Double flares are a pain on steel lines with the hand tool I have.

18. Fordors

Fordors

Your flaring tool does 45* flares and AN requires 37*. There are other differences too, like the need for the tube sleeve in addition to the tube nut for tube used with 37* flares.
    Check out this video- I don’t know how to post a link on my iPhone so you’ll have to enter it yourself.

youtube.com/watch?v= BRcTnt1Egvo

The second half deals with AN hard line flares and assembly.

19. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

They make an AN fitting that is compression on one end for steel line and 37 degree AN on other end. Summit has them, good for 100 psi.

mad mikey likes this.
  20. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

21. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

Fordors, the brass plumbing fittings at the hardware store are 45 degrees, right? I could use a union double flare and flare nuts and flare the steel line.

22. Budget36

Budget36

I wouldn’t. You won’t compress into the steel line with a brass ferrule. The ferrule will “snug up” around the steel line, but won’t indent it. The indent holds it in place, the tapers seat it.

23. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

24. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You don't need the brass ferrule to compress the line , the " compression " of the ferrule forms the seal . if its deforming the line its actually over tightened . A single 45° flare will hold 200 p.s.I. easily , the only need for double flaring is with high pressure hydraulics ,I.e. brake lines .

seb fontana and Budget36 like this.
  25. Fordors

Fordors

I’m not a Corvette guy but I do know Chevy engines. All the L-82’s I’m aware of were carbureted, what is it you are working with?

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  26. Budget36

Budget36

Dang, had to Google that, I was not informed correctly so many years ago.

27. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

Right on the carb L82. I am fuel injecting one.

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's going to fly like a Lead balloon here.

I can only assume based on what you are asking about that you are using a Rochester TBI throttle body.

If that is the case, there are adapters that go from straight thread metric o-ring, to AN-6.

There is no need to use the late-model fittings anywhere but the end of those two adapters.

29. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

Let not get too far into the weeds but I am learning about about fittings. So it appears that 2 people here differ on using a 45 degree brass flare union for steel line. I can see if the flares match thats where the seal is but I also know that those brass fittings are used with copper lines. Not sure if I have seen steel line with brass fittings. Looking at maybe 60psi max. So if I go with steel I am looking at an AN fitting? right or do those come in other materials like aluminum. I assume they make a 37 degree flare tool.
    The repair line link is good (actually need 16mm) and I like it but still need the union flare. to join them. My fuel line is odd, not quite 3/8. reads about .380 or .390 cant remember, slight over 3/8 but with a flare who cares.

30. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Since you're dissatisfied with the suggestions given you. You could go to any number of manufacturer s & distributers sights & compile your own data ! There's any number of charts availability. Info , materials compatibility , pressure info on the web .

Barrelnose pickup likes this.