Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Packard Straight 8 Interchangeability

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Racingsnake, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

I recently picked up a Packhard Thunderbolt straight 8 engine. It appears to be complete and in good shape except it is missing the distributor. So, a couple of questions:
    How do I identify exactly what motor it is? The head has 327 on it which I assume is the capacity and I think it is a 9 bearing crank motor.
    What Packhard distributors interchange? Has anyone modified anything other than Packard distributors to run a straight 8?
    I’d like to put a stick behind it, what are my options for this?

2. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yuppers, you have to go where the knowledge base for that engine is and that would be Packard restorer groups. If you are putting it in anything except a Packard body just say you are building a 'Special" if asked and you may well be planning a special for it to go in.

vtx1800 likes this.
  4. Davesblue50

Davesblue50

Pretty sure he goes by PackardV8. Memory is fuzzy here. Jack is the go to Packard and Studebaker engine build guy.

5. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

Thanks for the replies. Worked out it is a 1951 327 from a Packard Patrician. Seems like distributors for 1953-1954 models are more easily available - will they work on the earlier motors? Asking here first because the Packard forum seems very much about keeping everything exactly as built.

6. v8flat44

v8flat44

7. Budget36

Budget36

Is the distributor driven via gear on it or a slot/screwdriver end?
    We know what Rich Fox would do, he’d machine up some adapter that houses two 4 cylinder distributors and make it work.
    I sure miss him and his visions to make things work.

Johnny Gee and egads like this.
  8. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

The distributors have a slot end on them. Machining something up is definitely an option if I can't find anything else that works.

9. squirrel

squirrel

this is probably out of your price range?

but anyways, the Mallory number for a distributor that fits is 251, maybe you can find a less expensive one somewhere.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124106524134?

Johnny Gee likes this.
  10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have some Buick straight 8 stuff….will compare one of those with the pic in the eBay ad @squirrel posted and see if they are at all close. I will likely be Monday/Tuesday before I will have a reply.

Ray

Budget36 and Johnny Gee like this.
  11. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

All of the straight eight Buick distributors used a gear drive.

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Then do away with the gear. :p

Hnstray likes this.
  13. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

14. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

I think all the Packard 8's from 49-54 will interchange.....I think. I know they used to different distributors, they could either be AC Delco or Autolite. If you look on Ebay it seems like they are available.
    As far as transmission adaption it gets a little tougher. Packard used their own manual trans up through 54 which had a different bolt patter and front bearing locator ring diameter than most every other tranny out there.
    You can buy a ready made transmission adapter. They are out there. They cost about $1000.
    I built a transmission adapter to put a T-5 behind my 327. Here are some details about what I did;
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/straight-8-rpu-build-thread.1083302/

Bobby