Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How bad is it to fix rust like this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnnya101, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Johnnya101

Johnnya101

Yup, you got it! 1958 Chevy Bel Air 4 door sedan, think he wants $8000. I think it's overpriced and he will not accept offers. Frame has broken off spring mount, shredded interior, rust holes, dents, broken glass, etc. This car was parked in the late 70s when the owner died, and has been sitting in a barn in Wyoming. Description says totally solid, photos looked decent enough, and I figured it might be something that's in good enough shape with minimal rust (going by totally solid) to leave the exterior and throw in a new interior.

Here's the link for anyone interested. https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/dunbarton-1958-chevy/7555789070.html

And here's the news article
    https://cowboystatedaily.com/2021/1...-bel-air-stashed-in-lander-barn-for-40-years/

Would have been a cool car to leave as is, but freshen up with that story.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    Sporty45 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Hmmmm 348 car.
    I’d drive it.
    That int and paint is almost perfect for a beater.
    8k?

49ratfink likes this.
  3. BILL LUPIANO

BILL LUPIANO
    BANNED
    from Canada

X2!!

4. It's not bad at all. $40 per hour.

anthony myrick likes this.
  5. Squablow

Squablow

348 that runs "fantastic" is a huge plus (although the same guy said the body is solid so, who knows).

I know the OP is already passing on it and that's fine but $8K doesn't buy you much in the way of running 50's V8 Chevys anymore. I'm not saying I'd buy it at that price, but I wouldn't doubt someone else will. It's almost 2023 guys, the days of buying stuff like this for $1500 or as a parts car are long ago over.

49ratfink, chryslerfan55 and squirrel like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

Have you looked at the car in person yet? I sure can't tell what it looks like underneath the car, or under the hood, from the pictures provided. If you want good advise, you have to provide good, complete information.

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sounds like a flipper has it now. Paid $3500, now wants $8,000.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Find another car.

9. Heavy Old Steel

Heavy Old Steel

It’s not terrible. I would drive it as is body wise just get the mechanicals good and road worthy give it a good cleaning up and drive it a couple years

49ratfink and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it looks much better than those few close up pictures shown originally. 58 with a 348.... 4 doors who cares? it is not the 70's anymore where you can buy a 58 Impala while working part time at the supermarket. it is a car worth fixing. it is worth $8,000.oo here in sunny California... it is one of those things where if you have to ask the answer is no.

if it is original paint I bet it would clean up real nice.

11. From the article dated 12/11/21:

"The trick for Buzz and company was not just selling the car – the first bids at around $1,500 seemed pretty low to him – but also finding the right buyer. Someone who would not just restore and sell it for a buck but who would lovingly restore it into its original state like Tom would have wanted.

After sifting through the offers, Buzz zeroed in on David, a U.S. Navy veteran in New Hampshire who expressed genuine love for the car itself."

From the CURRENT ad:

"Fresh out of a barn in Wyoming. Has big block original 348 and powerglide Trans. Runs fantastic. Needs interior and paint. Body is solid. Call me if interested. IF YOU TEXT ME I will not respond"

Man...that sure was a short love story!

Ol' Dave the Sailor completely skipped the "lovingly restoring" part and went straight to the "sell it for a buck" portion of the show. :p

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    leon bee, twenty8, Sporty45 and 5 others like this.
  12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I think the $8000 price tag is a bit much, but totally depends on what you want and how bad you want it!
    Also , way back in this thread I saw where it has original paint. This is a very big plus, as the rust you see should be all the rust there is! Now before everyone jumps on me, what I mean is there is no rust covered from a cheap body and paint job from some time in the past!
    I went to look at a 65 convertible a few years ago in Iowa , that showed no rust in the pictures, the seller told me it was his dead grandfather’s! I was hoping for the holly grail, but when I got there in huge snow storm it turned out to be the biggest bondo Queen I ever saw! Apparently his dead grandpa had a history of buying junk and smearing huge amounts of bondo over the rust!
    But the trip wasn’t a total bust! I scored my wagon in St. Louis on the way home!

Bones 6B85EB87-2CB7-47C4-A59E-AEA592E71447.jpeg

13. Usually by the time it starts doing that the headlight buckets are completely toast... making the headlight fall out of its socket.

Boneyard51 likes this.
    anthony myrick and Boneyard51 like this.
  15. Anything running from the 50s is over 3000, that's why you buy them from the original owner thats been non running for 30 years or more for 1000 and work from there.

16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

One thing you may consider, is what I did many moons ago when I acquired a 1960 model Econoline. It had a little rust in spots, so I enrolled in auto body at my local tech school at night! That way there is no hurry! I took all semester actually brazing in patch panels where the rust was ! Doing it right or at least right in my mind! It was an amazing learning process! And what I learned was, some body work takes talent! Lol But I really enjoyed it, but I was younger back then and eager to learn! Just another option!

Bones

17. finn

finn

All depends on you.

If you’re looking for something to develop your skills, and you’re comfortable with attacking new projects, go for it. A four door isn’t a bad place to start. In fact, I am seeing a lot more four door projects lately. No way would I pay more than a few hundred for that car, though.

Just peck away at it, though. If you tear it all apart, you will probably end up with an abandoned project.

Start with the engine, drivetrain, brakes, and cooling system, along with a thorough cleaning. Then, target any structural issues like floor pans, etc. Try to keep it drivable, and remember, it’s never going to be a show at if it’s your first rodeo.

If you don’t have a compressor, mig welder, and some basic body and mechanics tools, remember that you will have to budget for them, too.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. A Boner

A Boner

Most amateur car enthusiasts would be further ahead to speed more time and MONEY looking for a rust free, or at least limited rust on project cars, as opposed to spending tons of time and MONEY dealing with excessive rust. Any honest body man will tell you the same thing!

BamaMav, twenty8 and Boneyard51 like this.
  19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

rust repair is not as difficult as one might think. you have to really want to do it because it is a shitty dirty job.

I met a guy at the junk yard cutting body parts from a Sunbeam Alpine. we talked for a bit and the next thing you know I was welding those parts on the car having done very minimal sheetmetal welding before that. just a couple spots on my own car. the Sunbeam was all rusted around the wheelwells and rockers. it also had a big crunch in the back below the trunk that required a fabricated piece welded in to repair. I had 100 hours into that car getting it all blocked and primed and door jambs, under hood and inside the trunk in green. that's a far as I went with it.

as they say, it is not rocket surgery.