Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New shop air compressor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RodRocket, Dec 1, 2022.

1. RodRocket

RodRocket

Finally got new shop built. Now looking for a new compressor ( sold other one to car guy who bought the house) want vertical stationary about 60 gallon tank 5 hp pump. Dismayed by some of the reviews I see. Since it has been a while, I would appreciate any info on what experience you all have had. Don’t have much patience with unreliable tools. I don’t want to work on my tools but with them! Thanks for any response. Have been out of touch with you all due multiple health issues. I am after all a disabled Viet Nam Vet & cars are what keep me going. Been doing this since 1960. Just had my 80th birthday, lucky to still be able to do this. Thank you all & God Bless.

2. Budget36

Budget36

If I had a need and the $$ I’d go with Ingersol Rand. But being the miser I am and don’t use one but once a week these days, I’m getting an HF pump to replace my worn one.
    Also, thanks for your service, keep on keeping on!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Rodrocket a Quincy 325 model is your answer. In order to make the specs look good ie cfm. and max pressure for a cheap price , the MFG,s make the compressors turn faster which equals more noise and heat. More heat equals more water in your tank. When comparing compressors keep these factors in mind. I have had a Quincy 325 for 35 years now and have done pressure pot sand blasting and can talk on the phone while standing next to my compressor. I'm also a DAV, !st. Cav. D co. 2nd. 8th. Vietnam 69.

Pat

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    DC40, bubba55, porkshop and 8 others like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

but how does a new Quincy compressor compare to a 35 year old one? Lots of companies have been using offshore parts to build their "made in usa" compressors lately.

5. That is a universal law now. Applies to everything unfortunately.

Texas John likes this.
  6. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

FWIW: a couple of years ago, I found a model at NAPA that meets the specs noted by RodRocket and it has a lower speed Baldor motor. Not sure if it’s still the case but would be worth looking into.

7. BJR

BJR

I have had the same 2 cylinder Quincy air compressor for the past 55 years with no issues ever.

indyjps and 49ratfink like this.
  8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

all compressor motors are not created equal. I put a huge Quincy pump on my
    "5HP" Craftsman and it would pop the breaker before reaching full pressure, replaced it with a 3 HP Baldor that will run all day. funny how that works.

46international and Boneyard51 like this.
  9. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Jim I cannot answer that question but the spec sheet numbers are not country of origin specific. My point being compare the specs.

Pat

10. iagsxr

iagsxr

I'm happy with my Eaton compressor. Also looked at Castair. Don't actually remember why I chose one over the other. Both use low-speed pumps.

The big tell as mentioned is the motor and pump rpm if you're concerned about noise.

Pay real close attention to rated cfm, then knock at least 10% off. Size your compressor to your largest tool.

Have a Mac branded compressor at my car wash. It's pressure-fed oiling. Anyhow in that environment the pressure switch fails every so often. The one time I don't know how long it ran without shutting off but it actually melted the copper head gaskets and steel reeds. That's been over ten years ago and the bottom end's still together. Something to be said for pressure-fed oiling.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  11. rusty valley

rusty valley

Do not buy an aluminum pump, and do not buy the 3400 rpm models. I would rather rebuild an old one than buy a new box store hunk o junk

12. squirrel

squirrel

I realize that.

Unfortunately, reading reviews of new compressors (I'm in the market too), there seems to be a lot of trouble with motors on several brands, which used to be good brands in the old days.

I don't have an answer...but I'll be paying attention.

13. In motors you want to know if they are quoting PEAK or CONTINUOUS Horsepower. Peak looks more impressive, that is why they use them on the stickers and literature. In reality peak HP is just a fraction of the actual HP. When I was looking around at the lumber yards and farm stores I found the better ones were actually from Canada and EVERY brand came from the same place. Might have been due to trade tariffs at the time (2006ish)

CFM is what you really want. Mine runs about 12cfm @90psi. It is enough to run a stucco sprayer (think drywall hopper on steroids)

Budget36 likes this.
  14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought an 80 gallon 5hp 2 stage upright IR compressor at Tractor Supply on sale a couple of years ago. Compressor made in India or Mexico, don't remember which but there is a big sticker that says "Proudly ASSEMBLED in the USA" Regardless it does everything I need and pretty much keeps up with my Barrel Blaster blast cabinet. For the price its everything I need but then I don't use it to make a living either. JMO

15. 31Apickup

31Apickup

My Quincy came with a Baldor motor got it in 2014. Did a lot of research, previously had a IR but the newer IR’s were being made in India and the quality was lower than the old compressors. Quincy’s were rated really well, even their rep contacted me after purchase and checked if there were any questions, great custom service. I ordered mine thru Lowe’s at the time.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  16. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

17. sdluck

sdluck

I am looking for a 2 stage 5 to 8 hp horizontal 220 to up grade my 2 hp to go under my work bench,looking @ 30/60 EASTWOOD,opinion please.

18. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I don't know where the Quincy is made today but the one in my shop is 22 years old and other than oil and filter changes I haven't had to touch it. I've painted and sand blasted with it. My only regret is I wish I had the 7 hp instead of the 5 hp. Sand blasting you can run it out of breath.

19. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Quincy, by all means.

safetythird and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  20. If you're not gonna be in the shop 5 days a week for 8-12 hours, I'd spend the money on a cheaper unit with a warranty. I have a Belair, I paid around $3500 for it about 18 years ago and it's been a brute. I have put a couple of motors on it. If I was just doing tinker kind of work, I'd go to home depot or Lowe's.

Budget36 likes this.
  21. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My compressor is a combination of two different swap meet buys and one craigslist purchase. The swap meet tank is an upright 8o gallon from a "Black Max" (Sanborn) that had been in a flood, ruined the motor and compressor. The compressor is a swap meet two stage Kellogg that I put new poppet valves and springs in. It still had a crosshatch in the cylinders. The motor is a 240 volt Siemens 5HP that some old pants pisser had for sale on Craigslist. The motor cost me twice as much as the tank and compressor combined, but it's one hell of a machine.

vtx1800, carpok, Algoma56 and 2 others like this.
  22. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

In 1987 I got a Puma 5hp 60gal from HF. Chicago US tank, US Magnatec motor, CI V-twin pump. I always figured the pump was Chinese, I don't really know. It is hardwired to the panel and has not been shut off for 35 years. I have drained it a few times. I have added oil a couple. It makes 120psi
    When I needed a second for the new shop, I got another HF 5hp 60 gal. The first is a trooper, I should have it bronzed. US tank, Mexican Magnatec motor and Italian vertical twin aluminum pump. The V-twin is smoother. Not sounding, it doesn't walk around like the new one. We'll see if the aluminum pump lasts. If not, I'll replace it with a CI V-twin. It makes 150psi (175 out of the box, I had to tone it down a bit).
    Both have "tagged" tanks. Important if you have a business that may get a "boiler" inspection. I was at a shop that had to take a nice, fairly new, Emglo 80 gal horizontal out of service because it had no tank tag. Not that it fell off, it never did.
    Don't be too biased against HF, I have two, both work great. Mike

Texas57 likes this.
  23. mixerman

mixerman

I bought mine about 2 months ago, and the reviews were a horror story with the pumps and motors made over seas. Motors burning up in two months and pumps quiting in about the same time. I searched and was lucky I found someone that owned a compressor bussines in Austin Tx. and retired to a little town 30 miles from me that sold rebuild old school compressors. He had one I bought 80 Gallon 2 stage belaire pump and a 5 hp baldor motor with a life time warranty. Half the price of a new one of that size.

IMG_3542.JPG

24. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I worked as Stationary Engineer in a Power House , we had 2 1750 HP , 4 1200 HP , 2 600 HP . All of these needed “ station air compressor “ to unload the valves to allow start up . When I started there it was Quincy , after 30 years of service I purchased the used Quincy . Rebuilt the compressor , switched to single phase motor , rehydroed the tank . It is by far the best piston compressor built .

The Quincy was replaced with an IR Rotary Screw Compressor . This is the way to move air ! Really expensive for him use .

As stated do not purchase by HP rating , buy by the CFM rating of the pump . If you purchase used , please think about having the tank rehydro tested . A tank explosion can not be described in words . Death is usually part of the equation .

To give you something to think about total force inside that tank can be determined by the area of the tank in sq inches x the operating pressure . Do this on an 80 gallon tank operating at 150 lbs . You will be shocked at the bomb you could , or could not survive when it goes boom .

fauj likes this.
  25. I believe Quincy to be the best. I was too cheap to buy one years ago. I bought a Belaire 218V. 5 hp. 2 stage 80 gallon upright. I would do it again. An I.R. would not be on my list. I know too many users that had failures. I bought mine from ASE Equipment. Back then they were the best price and free shipping.

26. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I bought a used Husky 5hp 80 gallon 220 unit about 10 yrs ago and the first 6 to 7 yrs I owned it, it ran every day. Anywhere from 4 to 7 hours a day and I do mean every day. It was probably 3 yrs old when I bought it and it had been used, not as much as I did but still used.

It ran my air tools, grinder, straight file, d.a. and impacts during those 6 to 7 yrs. The only thing I ever did to it was change the oil once a yr. Never gave me any problem and still using it, although a yr ago I had to replace the pop off head pressure release valve (35 bucks).

To be honest I must say I have been impressed with it, I really didn't think it would be that trouble free for so long. Oh it's like 12 or 13 cfm at 90 psi and rated as commercial, I think it was like home depot model.

Kelly Burns likes this.
  27. squirrel

squirrel

I guess I need to shop around for an old Quincy :)

theHIGHLANDER, safetythird and fauj like this.
  28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've got a Devilbiss 60 gal 5 hp that I bought about 25 years ago at a tool store that sells closeout stock from various places. It was made in Mississippi, has a two cylinder aluminum compressor. I think I paid about $600 back then, brand new. Only thing I have ever done is add oil once, it's still running the same ribbed belt that came on it, I've had to tighten the slack in it once also. It has been run, too. Mostly on weekends, some days all day and into the night. Doubt I could ever find a replacement as good for the price.

29. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I see guys recommending compressors like Quincy, Champion, Saylor-Beall, etc., which are excellent, commercial grade compressors. No doubt that they're outstanding units. But they're also probably overkill for the home hobbyist, even a legit hobbyist that can run equipment hard in the process of doing real work. They're also very expensive.

For my purposes, I've had excellent luck thus far with this IR I bought from Tractor Supply. It has been the best value for a compressor that I've found, and does everything I need it to do, from running any kind of air tool, paint guns, even my pressure pot sandblaster, in continuous use. For $1400 brand new with a warranty, it's hard to go wrong.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ingersoll-rand-80-gallon-5-hp-reciprocating-air-compressor

51504bat and firstinsteele like this.
  30. 1952henry

1952henry

What I learned in researching for my purchase...get a cast-iron pump with disc valves. Get a true 5hp 1745-1750 rpm motor with a mag start, think 22ish amps. If the motor has a red reset button, keep walking. Look for inter and aftercoolers on pump. For less heat, noise, and wear and tear, look for 7-800 or less pump rpm.

My research led me to Castair. 5hp Baldor with magnetic start, 1745 rpm. My model has a 10hp v4 pump with a larger pump sheave to work with the 5hp motor. The result, pump running at 420 rpm. I can talk on my phone next to it. Was it cheap, heck no. But, I wont buy another. Plus, I got it at a local dealer, so part/service would be easy. Try that at home despot or lowers.