Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Valve lash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by prpmmp, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The original video posted, and this discussion, is about the valve lash on solid lifter engines. Hydraulics are easy.

2. prpmmp

prpmmp

Hey Hillbilly! Good point!! Pat seems to have some good credentials but still could be hitting the crack pipe to much!!!! Pete

Blues4U likes this.
  3. Charlie K

Charlie K

One thing to note, video was based on oh v-8 with cast iron block and aluminum head with steel lifters, pushrods and aluminum rocker arms. Flathead is all iron block with iron or steel lifters acting directly on steel or iron valves. My guess is any change change in hot an cold clearances on a flathead would be nowhere as great as a aluminum head cast iron block overhead engine.

prpmmp likes this.
  4. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

And the 1900 pens and measuring devices in his pocket.

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

All my mechanical buddies I mentioned this to said, "You off your meds again?" LOL Lippy

6. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i've bought a couple isky cams for my flathead over the years, and the spec sheet always shows an "warm" gap. of course that's not true!

7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Have you ever checked to see whether hot or cold water freezes first? :)

jaw22w likes this.
  8. That's because it takes a real man to adjust the lifters on a Chinese Six! I like watching a vacuum gauge while adjusting 'em too.
    ;)

9. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

No, but I've heard that and wondered about it. I don't see how hot water could freeze first, but what do I know.
    As I said though, we always set the sprint motor to zero lash. If the lash tightened up, then it would have held valves open when warmed up. I know there were no valves being held open when they should have been closed. Now this is on an all aluminum pushrod engine and we always went through a thorough warm up before running it hard. I can't speak for any thing else. Only my personal experience.

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

Appels and oranges So does a longer push rod motor expand more? If the push rod is longer it follows that there is more block and head between cam and the rocker

11. birdman1

birdman1

i used to adjust the valves on my 1956 ford 292 PI hot. then got tired of hot oil on my hands and just set them cold, about .006" tighter. gives alittle more lift and duration, right??

prpmmp likes this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

I can’t discount the original video posted, the only solid lifter PR engines I’ve adjusted were 216’s and 235’s and did them hot while running(anyone need pre-curved feeler gauges?).
    But as I mentioned before, the video doesn’t pertain to the OPs engine, he has no PRs or rocker arms. It doesn’t matter if he has Al heads, cast iron or a block of wood whittled out.
    Guess I’ll find out soon enough, I did a backyard valve job on a 218, and need to fire it up in the next few weeks and recheck the clearances after it’s heat soaked. I set them looser at .012 and .014.
    Should be a good comparison for the OP, only real difference is a V8 vs L6.

prpmmp likes this.
  13. prpmmp

prpmmp

Looking forward to your results! Thanks Pete

14. prpmmp

prpmmp

Thanks Charlie!!! Pete

15. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve a silly idea;). Head over to the FordBarn and just ask the question as it pertains to your Flathead Ford. There are many over there that have and do build them and have done more than many have seen, I’m sure with a day or two you’d have an apples to apples answer:)

16. FishFry

FishFry

Valve lash gets looser when hot. The block, head rocker stands etc. expand much more, than the push rods, valves and lifters.

How much? That depends on your engine (pushrod length, materials etc.)
    But it's easy to try out. Also exhaust valves have a different shrink/expansion rate than intake valves.

On a air cooled VW you set the lash finger tight to zero cold (and than back up a quarter turn, to be on the safe side). That wouldn't work, if the lash would get tighter.

Frank

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  17. Budget36

Budget36

Dang, this thread has made me realize how long I’ve procrastinated on firing my engine up

18. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

REAL men adjust them while hot and running, outside, naked, in a snowstorm.

sdluck, ClayMart and Budget36 like this.
  19. Budget36

Budget36

Boots optional or required?

20. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Barefoot, you pansy!

Budget36 likes this.