Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Any feedback on ATK short blocks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Budget36

Budget36

Never bought a “crate” engine, etc before. Looks like Jegs and Summit both sell them.
    I’m looking ahead to something I might do in the Spring time and looking for feedback on an 383 short block and use up some stuff I have around to finish it up.
    This won’t be a 500HP engine, looking for the torque of the 383 over a 350, I don’t have the time these days to go SBC hunting, take it in to a shop, assemble parts I want, etc. I just want to bolt on and in what I have and install an engine:).
    Thanks.

bchctybob likes this.
  2. egads

egads

3. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

I have used one ATK engine in the past. It was a 350 Chevy and gutless for sure but it ran fine and made noises. It was in a model a sedan and couldn't burn a tire. I would second blueprint engines. They are all Dyno tested before you get them and use good parts if not new parts

Budget36 and egads like this.
  4. While I have not used them, 2 friends did. Both had maximum overbore, and one with a maximum undersized crank. Both ran fine though. Not getting very good reviews currently.

Budget36 and egads like this.

5. 5window

5window

While the OP thanked you, this is the sort of smart-ass response that is no help at all. The OP asked about a specific company. You countered with another. Why?
    Do you have personal experience with ATK and found that they were poorly built?
    Do you have personal experience buying from the company you recommended?
    Are you an owner or employee of Blueprint engines and silently sneaking in a plug?
    Your reference may be well intentioned and well founded, but you really need to state your qualifications as well for anyone to benefit from the time you took to post.

6. egads

egads

^^^^^^^^^^^^ See post 3 and 4. No I don't work for Blue print but have used quite a few with ZERO issues but have seen several ATK's not make it out the door.. Sorry that I offended you.

7. 5window

5window

Not offended. Thanks for the additional information.

8. Budget36

Budget36

Ok, enough information for me to think of a different approach.
    Thanks.

bchctybob likes this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

I recall when I went into a Kragens AP 25/30 years ago. There was a short block on display, the pistons were stamped .060 and every cylinder still showed a a ridge on the thrust side.
    I couldn’t believe they’d use that as a display.

bchctybob likes this.
  10. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

No dealing with ATK,
    Maybe consider a 377 or 400ish cid.
    with a 190-200 23 deg head

Budget36 likes this.
  11. Moedog07

Moedog07

If you're getting a good price or the ATK shop is right down the street then consider it. I Don't have personal experience with ATK but one of the "Salesman" at the local Auto-Zombie I shop at bought an ATK roller 350 for an off topic Chevrolet truck and swears by it.
    If I bought one I'd spend a day and disassemble it check the work and reassemble it to my liking.

Budget36 likes this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

That’s what I’m looking to avoid;)

bchctybob and 5window like this.
  13. I worked with a guy that had an ATK put in an OT Blazer 30 years ago. He had a shop install it. I listened to it and the engine had an odd rock to it and I told him it had at least one valve set too tight. He never did anything about it. AFAIK, it never blew up on him. I'd go with a Blueprint or a Jasper over an ATK, or see what your GM dealer has a deal on.

Budget36 and caprockfabshop like this.
  14. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with the opinions here, I purchased a 4.3L Chevy V6 from ATK about 4yrs ago for an OT S10 and it was okay, but definitely not a powerhouse or impressive long-block. For just a little more you can get a better company to supply the engine, or just buy one already done from a failed project or from a guy yanking a SBC to install an LS. Lots of options out there that are "gently-used".

That's how I picked up a 1956 Chevrolet 265/powerglide for $500. Guy was swapping to a late model drivetrain and didn't need the old engine. Way cheaper than I could've assembled the parts!

~Peter

Budget36 likes this.
  15. 5window

5window

I have no experience, but what about Jasper? I see them all over and the offer some engines with performance upgrades.

bobss396 and Budget36 like this.
  16. Bikelessbill

Bikelessbill

Sold them when working for Advanced Auto Parts. Would not recommend one.

Davesblue50, Algoma56 and Budget36 like this.
  17. 5window

5window

Them? ATK,Blueprint and Jasper have been mentioned. Which, any or all and why? Did you get returns? Unsatisfied customers? Bad after-purchase support? Brevity here is not all that helpful.

Budget36 likes this.
  18. Bikelessbill

Bikelessbill

Jasper or Blueprint ok. Lot of detective replacement on ATK. Seem to be thrown together. Hope that's more helpful.

caprockfabshop likes this.
  19. 5window

5window

Thanks. I am easily confused.

20. I have a different perspective on Remanufactured engines than most guys. The only Remanufactured engines that I’ve ever had any success with are the ones offered by the OEM’s. Jasper’s quality is horrendous, and their warranty (from the perspective of the installer) is a joke. My labor rate is $130/hr and when the engine that Jasper sold me takes a dump and they pay $75-80/hr to repair or replace their mistakes, no thanks, I’m good. I understand why people buy reman engines, but I won’t vouch for any of them. If you are not up to doing it yourself (and I certainly understand that) then, I believe your best option would be a GM or Ford crate engine, not a mass market Remanufactured one. I currently have a 6BT Cummins that didn’t last one hour in service before it started blowing oil out of the exhaust. This is NOT a Cummins reman, that was 6 months away, but a reman from Minnesota, no names. I’m dealing with it now, the piston to wall clearance is way to large, it looks like they used a standard piston in a .020 over hole.

bobss396, 5window, egads and 2 others like this.
  21. FWIW, we put a Blueprint 355 in my employer's OT Chevelle. Super satisfied, no issues, good value, and came with dyno sheet that was better than advertised....been driven by everybody at the shop for a couple of years (myself included). I would buy one if I was in the market for an assembled engine. Kinda mad I didn't buy one a couple years ago before the Covid tax bumped the prices up on everything. IMO, they build a better "bang for the buck" than even the GM crate engines, which used to be the go-to.

5window, egads and Budget36 like this.
  22. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Here is a video on Blueprints factory,

sdluck, egads and Budget36 like this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

Wow, great video!!! You should work for them because you sold me!

5window likes this.
  24. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

After watching the video it would be hard not to try one of their motors.

Budget36 likes this.
  25. Budget36

Budget36

For sure, I sent them a message,been trying to stay awake to call them, but fading fast after a night shift.
    That’s really a first class operation they have there.
    Really appreciate you posting that video.

26. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

It really is and the boss seems to know what he is doing also. I have had work done in so many shops in my life I can't even remember and most turned out sub standard work. So depending on a machine shop has always been a gamble and in today's world even more so.

Budget36 likes this.
  27. From what I've been seeing Mike, blueprint is the shit. Maybe not the cheapest, but I'm sure there's a reason for that. You get what you pay for. I wanted to order a blueprint 468 big block for my car, but the guy at the bank said "you wanna borrow $12,000 for what?" Lmao!

Budget36 likes this.
  28. Jagmech

Jagmech

Maybe stop at couple of your local machine shops, (if any still in business) see if they have a rebuild that the customer backed out of, and are for sale. Up here in northern Ohio, we still have some good ones, it's not unusual to see a complete engine for sale that the customer "forgot" and they have to sell.

Budget36 likes this.
  29. Crocodile

Crocodile

I love to watch Enginemasters on the Motortrend network, and they seem to tough-test plenty of Blueprint short blocks and engines. I do not know if there is sponsorship involved, but I think that is at least a decent vote towards quality.

Budget36 likes this.
  30. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

You need to have a conversation with Jim (Squirrel) on how to get a realistic loan.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.