Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How bad is it to fix rust like this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnnya101, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Johnnya101

Johnnya101

Looking at a local car from northwest. It's a 1958 Chevy. Supposedly floors are perfect, but has these photos of some of what I'd classify as decently bad rust. Whole car is totally original paint, and has some rust flecks of some sort over the whole body. Obviously there's always more hidden, too.

Looks like both front fenders, both rear quarters, and both headlight top areas, in addition to a spot by the trunk need patches.

How difficult is it to patch something like this? I know nothing about welding really, but have friends that are good welders. Luckily all these panels are made new.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

You're going to get a lot of different answers here.

IMHO, it's a lot of work to do it right.

rockable, Hnstray, alanp561 and 6 others like this.
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the fender and door rust would be pretty simple.

when you get into wheelwells you have to figure the inner fenders are rusted as well. and who knows what else.

all that rust started on the inside, so you can only see what has rusted through.

you need a good sheet metal welder. my neighbor built X-ray equipment from heavy steel, when he tried to weld some sheetmetal he failed.

chryslerfan55, rdscotty, Tman and 2 others like this.
  4. Easy for me here in the relatively dry South, I'd give it a "good leaving alone" and find something else.
    Especially if you will be relying on others for the welding portion.
    I would also be skeptical about the floor condition. Just my personal opinion.

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

How much are you in love with this particular car? I see lots of work, fixable, yes, but lots of $$$ and time. You might be better off to start with a more rust free car from the mid or southwest.

chryslerfan55 and Flathead Dave like this.
  6. That’s pretty bad even for a PNW car but your results may vary. I’ve seen a lot of good ones here and many worse than that.
    That to me is a leverite as in leave her right where you found it.

Cooon and Adriatic Machine like this.
  7. Everything behind the rust you see will either need to be replaced or repaired as well .

the floors might look mint until you start looking in the corners etc .

one nice thing is it’s a popular car do panels and patches are available.

Depending on the generosity of others could wear thin once the extent of the welding is found out .

welding in a floor or trunk patch is far easier then body panels .

floors and trucks don’t need perfect welds snd can be hidden with seam sealer and carpet .

Lots of work there , figure out the price you’re paying , the price of parts , labour , tools etc .

Then triple it at least .

It’s definitely doable , do you have a spot to do the work ?

Buy a welder and some sheet metal tools snd get going !

It’s only a car , nothing will die if you fail at your first patch , might have to do it over once or twice but you’ll finger it out .

8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Your ALWAYS ahead with rust free parts, unless you have skills in hammer forming sheet metal the patch over the head lamps and wheel opening will be more than difficult.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are familiar with the Titanic? What you can see of an iceberg is not as dangerous or deadly as what you cannot see. Same goes for that rust, that is the surface, what lies beneath would send me on another course.

clem, rockable, chryslerfan55 and 5 others like this.
  10. Johnnya101

Johnnya101

Thank you all for your quick answers. Not in love at all with the car, it's a four door sedan, not even a hard top. I like the looks of the 58s, and it is a bel air. Not really a good color combo IMO, white top and looks like blue green bottom.

All your replies further back my thoughts on passing on it, from what little I know about body work this would be a decently tough job to make it right. Just wanted a second opinion :)

Thanks for all of your help! I appreciate it.

chryslerfan55 and firstinsteele like this.
  11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Think of the wheel arch edges and how you'd go about making that patch. You have a 90 degree bend along the curve of the radius, with a compound curve along the body line above it. A lot of work to make that piece even with decent tooling, and then body work on top of it.

If this car is a 4 door sedan, it's a hard pass from me. I don't care how cheap it is.

Texas57 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Johnnya101

Johnnya101

Yep, plain old 4 door bel air sedan. Not an imapal or hard top. Forgot to mention, odometer rolled over at least once too... So definitely got to be worn out.

13. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Tip of the Iceberg ^

14. Anything is fixable, it just depends on your ability and time.

I learn a long time ago to buy the best body/car you can afford, sometimes that is not in the cards so you have to repair sheet metal, If you buy the car I would suggest you do some sandblasting , if rest is there it will show up, better to take care of it now than latter. HRP

37slantback and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

My experience has been “ the rust you see is only a 1/4 , to if your lucky, a 1/3 of what you will have to deal with when you open things up”.

37slantback and Bob Lowry like this.
  16. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

One thing I learned a long time ago was that, at least for the body parts that unbolt, paying the price for a good solid fender or door is more economical than spending endless hours repairing their rotten counterparts.

chryslerfan55 and 49ratfink like this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

if it's cheap enough, it might be fun to get it and drive it around as is. Not every car deserves or needs to be restored, you know.

18. Make patterns, make new parts, fit new parts, weld, hammer dolly, metal finish.

I forgot to mention the tools and skills part.
    Learning is fun

or price panels then add $75-150 per hour (depending on location)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  19. Budget36

Budget36

This is true. No one sees issues at 50mph when you pass by;)

One thought though, not related to Jim’s reply, is what it might take to make it mechanically sound.

20. oldolds

oldolds

Being from northeast PA, that rust is minimal. Especially if the floors are anywhere near the same condition as that. We also have to deal with frame rust on those cars. I probably not buy any patch panels for those repairs. If the panels for above the headlights are really close, I might buy them. If they are like the panels they sold in the 60-70's for that repair I would make my own.

Squablow, aussie57wag and 49ratfink like this.
  21. twenty8

twenty8

Better to find a decent body car with no drivetrain than to take on a rusted project like that. It will be a lot easier time-wise and money-wise.

They do see the bits that fall off..........:eek::rolleyes::)

Bleach and Budget36 like this.
  22. Budget36

Budget36

Lol. Didn’t think that far ahead!

twenty8 likes this.
  23. Post full shots it the car

49ratfink likes this.
  24. twenty8

twenty8

It also depends on how much time and patience you have to do the job yourself.
    I think it was @gimpyshotrods that said something like "It's only metal. It is not smarter than you."

But, for a four door in that condition, you would not want to paying much more than scrap value to buy it. There will be lots of skills to learn and work to do.

chryslerfan55 and anthony myrick like this.
  25. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Run Forest, run!"

clem, rbrewer, impala4speed and 2 others like this.
  26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Judging from what we're seeing, I would also be concerned about the condition of the frame.

27. twenty8

twenty8

That just reminded me of something that a body-man friend of mine told me once.
    It's not the rust you can see that is concerning, it's what you can't see that will be the major problem.
    Things rust from the inside. And if you don't get it all, it will surely come back to haunt you.

chryslerfan55, G-son and The37Kid like this.
  28. squirrel

squirrel

really? I never see them when I'm driving through little towns all over the country.

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  29. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Boneyard51 and 49ratfink like this.
  30. 57Fury440

57Fury440

If this was the car you always wanted, then I would fix it. You said that you don't weld and are not crazy about the car. You answered your own question.

chryslerfan55, ClarkH and The37Kid like this.