Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine Run Stand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4 pedals, Nov 26, 2022.

1. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I put this one together using left over steel I had laying around about 15? years ago.
    it's been quite handy having run an engine on every year or so.
    in the down times it's something to hold the spares on,
    easy to roll around if needed
    here with a '63 394 Olds after cam run in

2. tractorguy

tractorguy

Great looking engine stand.......great looking and sounding motor........but......do yourself and family a favor and put a shield or cover over that trans yoke on the tailshaft. Those of us with agricultural experience know only to well what an open shaft or PTO can do to clothing and the human body.

flatheadpete and grumpy gaby 2 like this.
  3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I'd have to build a way back machine, that setup sold a long time ago

alanp561 likes this.
  4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Could you bolt it in a car and start it? :D

5. last engine test stand I made ended up with front and rear suspension, a body and a title. From then on I figured why do it twice?:D

mad mikey and Johnny Gee like this.
  6. gatz

gatz

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  7. I built this Stand around 2007 for my 392 rebuild startup. It was pretty expensive materials cost at the time, but I wanted it to be heavy duty. … and for it to be useable for other motors in the future. I still have it and will be useing it again once I get my Burtz block (new Model A) together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. I knocked this up so the g/box and engine mounts can slide back and forth so any motor/ box or motor itself could be mounted.
    Old flushed radiator, rev counter, temp and oil pressure gauge along with ignition switch.
    F1 battery tray cause it was lying around and homemade friction lever for a throttle.
    All bolted together so collapsed it takes up no room or can be used as a mobile engine stand.
    23849215-6A48-410C-9671-5CB47C0BFECB.jpeg

9. adam_waggoner

adam_waggoner

I built this one with some scraps laying around. It works pretty good

Attached Files:

10. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

That's a nice setup. And I also like your choice in safety shoes.

11. Mo rust

Mo rust

12. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I built this run stand a few years ago just to break-in Chevy SBCs. I only put a deuce grill shell and radiator on it because that's who I am....an old hot rodder. I am currently assembling my LAST 327 and then I intend to sell the run stand and all of my equipment and all the 327SJ parts (blocks, heads, cranks. etc). The run stand fits only SBC, is powder coated black, has a nice dash with ignition switch and oil pressure gage, mounted battery and gas tank and electric fuel pump. I now use sprint car headers for the exhaust. I will put up some better pictures of it later today. gold 283 (1).JPG

13. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Run stands allow you to eliminate any leaks, and break in, adjust valves .. I prefer. 20221021_144734.jpg

14. 73RR

73RR

I put this one together back in the 80's. Since 99% of everything I do is Mopar it has been easy to grab the correct front mounts for whatever engine and it sits right where it should. The frame is from a late 70's W150, a couple large castors from ebay and a little extra steel. While it is tucked away the radiator support and control panel are removed.
    001.JPG

alanp561 likes this.
  15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I was doing flatheads some time back, so we used the front of a rotten old Ford frame and a hollowed out trans case. I acquired a 354 Chrysler, strapped in in and ran it. IMG_0585.JPG IMG_3098.JPG

alanp561 likes this.
  16. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Prefer them only high enough to change oil, converted engine stands are a bit unstable.

17. I've got one i started. If you come get it, you can have it. Comes with an alum radiator. It doesn't have any gauges or mounts, so you can put what you want on it. 1-1/2 sqr tubing, with wheels.

alanp561 and rod1 like this.
  18. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

chain hoist and 2 jackstands always worked for me. No storage problems after im done:)

19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Saw one running just hanging by chains from the rafters of a building.

ramblin dan likes this.
  20. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

D7C42BD9-7A25-4390-96D4-3579FBCE4EA3.jpeg
    FC4D1161-214C-488E-B1E8-CDEB5BDF46B2.jpeg
    Here a run stand I helped with, gave the guy a 2004R tranny case that was cracked to use the bellhousing as he only builds Chevys and Buicks. Those trans have a dual bolt pattern, worked slick. He also used a throttle control with lock off a piece of power equipment, you can see the backside of it in last picture in the upper left by the radiator. He also made everything quick disconnect, all the frame work uses Dzus buttons or push pins. When I build mine I’ll probably build it similar.

alanp561 likes this.
  21. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Just looked on the web, he used something like this for the throttle…
    72EA6F8D-E4A3-41CB-9562-056D1551E3D3.png These are nice cuz you can unlock it and pump the throttle for starting and then lock it and set the throttle were you want for camshaft break in and for troubleshooting.

GlassThamesDoug and alanp561 like this.
  22. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would make a cover for Exposed flex plate. Worked in manufacturing... sensitive to exposed rotating parts.

Moedog07, tractorguy and alanp561 like this.
  23. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Something I hadn't thought of...making it long enough to use a bellhousing as the rear mount to contain the flywheel...I can see a gauge panel coming up from there with key and throttle...Fuel tank and MSD box on the rear as well....removable mounts for radiator in the front for ease of installing/removing engine....wide enough to be stable, yet clear exhaust, I do have a set of big block fenderwell headers....

Devin

Tickety Boo and alanp561 like this.
  24. Moedog07

Moedog07

@GlassThamesDoug are you offering to make me one?

Tickety Boo and GlassThamesDoug like this.
  25. I just mounted a 401 buick in mine and never even thought about the open flywheel ,Makes me really nervous,especially when revving , once I take the engine off the stand changes will be made to use the bellhousings with future engines

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  26. ^^^^^ could you PM me some rough dimensions on your stand? Getting ready to assemble and run my 401.

27. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Swap meet bell housings are very useful.

28. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2x2 steel tube, and probably 1x1 uprights for Rad can work wonders. Best to use common mounts, housings..

29. Moedog07

Moedog07

I was referring (kidding) to you making the cover for the flex plate for my engine run stand.
    I don't think about a cover until I'm ready to fire up a newly built engine.