Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical multi carbs why so popular?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastcar1953, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Paul

Paul
    Editor

my car has been called cute, nice, awesome and bad ass, all in the same day.

mario711, AHotRod, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  2. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Why are 3 deuce setups so popular ?
    IMG_1022.JPG

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Fills up space..

clem, mario711 and Deuces like this.
  4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

All depends on who is looking , " real "hot rod guys know what it is , the rest , not so much . 20 years ago I got my T on the road , it had been 30 years since I had anything " high performance" , I thought it would be fun to be around the cars again , I was sorely disappointed by the complete lack of knowledge of the ( then) current car owners , learned what " checkbook" hotrodding meant !

seb fontana likes this.
  5. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Because Herman has 10 carbs, so it has to be cool.
    img_5_1669180587612~2.jpg

And
    img_6_1669180885100~2.jpg

rod1, Budget36, 1biggeorge and 5 others like this.
  6. FishFry

FishFry

On an inline six - it's ether one or three.
    Two is the least optimal choice (because engine/intake dynamics). There is a reason the Corvette had 3.

And yeah, I know that sounds crazy, given the fact how much dual intakes are out there.

Frank

Deuces likes this.
  7. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

Is this true when the intake ports are siamese ie: four ports on a straight six with dual carbs

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  8. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

That's the craziest thing I've ever seen.. it needs to be on my car ! or someone's car !

mad mikey likes this.
  9. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

AWESOME Joel !!
    Also, you're not allowed to miss DRAG WEEK again,.. it's just not the same without your silliness ! and Shenanigans !

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    mad mikey and Hemi Joel like this.
  10. FishFry

FishFry

Yes it is also true with siamesed ports.

Adriatic Machine likes this.
  11. nickleone

nickleone

Because 2 single barrel manifolds for a Rambler 196 straight six were selling for $400+.
    Make your own new carbs yf clones.jpg

Randall, Deuces, 1biggeorge and 6 others like this.
  12. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

now that's badass!!

mad mikey likes this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When the multiple carbs were offered for the Chevy sedans, it just went through the roof. Now, the normal, everyday teenager could have a hot set up for the street and also weekends at the local drags. Everyone started with what the factory offered or what was on the used car. But as the need for speed started, the first thing was multiple carbs.

No one cared when the trend of multiple carbs started, it just was a fact of life, the set up made more horsepower. Then, came the cam, the head work, the pistons, etc. for a more powerful set up for daily driving.

Our introduction to multiple carbs was a multitude of 3 in a row on a big Oldsmobile motor of our friend’s 34 Ford 5 window coupe. He was the first one in my brother’s group to experiment with multiple carbs. Then the largest 4 barrel possible, then a series of 4 carbs on a funny manifold, and finally 6 Stromberg carbs. That turned in his best time at Lion’s Dragstrip. It sure sounded fantastic when it was rolled up and parked on our driveway when he came over for a visit.
    upload_2022-11-27_3-44-0.png
    His 1934 coupe was a pure street/strip combination. He could run all day at Lion’s Dragstrip, then on Monday mornings, roll right up to the parking spot in front of our high school. Then after school, go to his afternoon job. Most of his money earned went to doing more stuff on the Oldsmobile motor. More carbs, different cam, pistons, etc.

Everyone knew that one carb on a good, well-built motor would be fine, but add a nice cam, pistons, polish/port the heads and now, it is a faster, more powerful motor. So, the experimentation of multiple carbs was done. The So Cal manufacturers of manifolds started making multiple units for all different types of motors. So, from the single carb to the multiple 6 carb Stromberg unit, it was experimentation at its best.

Jnaki

When my brother and I were in the throes of building our 283 SBC motor, we wanted a Hilborn Injection System or a single carb with a Paxton/McCulloch supercharger. But, in looking at the cost and functionality, the everyday use of the Hilborn System was not going to work as a daily driver, which was our long term goal. Also, the cost of the single carb and Paxton/ McCulloch supercharger at the time was not the most efficient everyday use set up. Sure, stock T-birds and Ford sedans had the Paxton/McCulloch supercharger from the factory, but that set up was desirable, but costly for us.
    upload_2022-11-27_3-51-6.png similar set up
    We wanted a dual quad set up for the 283 motor we started with for our build. The speed shop owner said that if power is what we were looking for, the 6 Stromberg carb set up was the ticket versus the dual quad set up for the SBC motor. So, we went along with the first build, a 283 SBC with an Isky Cam, Jahns Pistons and some head work, including the 6 Strombergs on an Edlebrock manifold.

This set up was a simple start up and easily driven on the streets in our neighborhood, once the carbs were adjusted. So, our goal of a hot rod for daily driving and competing at Lion’s Dragstrip was in front of us.

upload_2022-11-27_3-52-14.png

On our initial build, once we figured out how to tune the carbs on the SBC motor, it ran fine and showed lots of power when stomped on, from a standing start. The power was there as the 283 motor utilized all 6 carbs in the acceleration mode. As we went to our next rebuild of the 283 to a larger 292 SBC size, the whole system had to be blower spec components and the topper was using the 6 Strombergs on top of the newly added 671 supercharger.
    upload_2022-11-27_3-54-32.png
    This motor was a little too powerful for everyday errands and going to the high school parking area. It was good for the drags in competition and for our initial, several night’s worth of local Bixby Knolls cruises to test things out. We knew we would need lots of work to make it a daily driver.

It could be the way it was set up, but we knew it was just for competition in the Gas Coupe and Sedan Classes. Although, the 671 set up in our 40 Willys Coupe was certainly entertaining and extremely fun to drive around our cruising grounds, once all of the carbs were adjusted again.
    upload_2022-11-27_3-57-17.png
    Which in essence, called for a street legal hot rod. So, who knew, we could and did drive it on the street for several weekends, but it was going to be a fast, competitive race car. The 6 Strombergs were great in getting us close to the National Record for the C/Gas Class, but we knew the next step had to be the two port Hilborn 671 blower injection system to really go faster. It was the next step, but it was not something anyone was using for a daily driver at the time. Multiple carbs for strictly street usage was the answer, for the time period in our So Cal area.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  14. Can I play ? Just installed and tuned this on the coupe. Power and throttle response is frightening.;) WIN_20221105_16_19_02_Pro.jpg WIN_20221105_16_20_24_Pro.jpg

egads, Deuces, sidewayzz69 and 11 others like this.
  15. That ought to get you to Lloyd's in short order next year! Nice, Mikey.

Rickybop, 427 sleeper and mad mikey like this.
  16. Thanks Steve. I have a little bit of tuning yet. It took a longtime to find the vintage 2x4 blower top [thanks to Matt - Irontrap garage]. Working on a old dragster scoop to top it off.

AHotRod, chevy57dude and 427 sleeper like this.
  17. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Mikey, thats a perfect example of a car that had lots of thought put into how its going to look. Don't think too many people would look at it and use the word "cute" to describe it. Not saying only vehicles that look like competition coupes. I've seen a lot of cars that were mildly hopped up that said "performance". To me its all about using components that look like they actually do increase the performance, and are logical for that engine. The picture below is another example where it looks logical and increases performance. Its very well done.
    new carbs yf clones.jpg

Lot to admire about this. If I saw it at a rod run, I'd be wanting to talk to this guy. Look at the little details to appreciate what he actually did.

When I look at an engine, the thing that registers to me is not whether it has the dipstick in the right place or 2 humps on its heads, or etc.............but whether the components actually appear to work well together to provide power. A whole lot of glitz does not impress me, and my opinion is that the person who built the engine doesn't understand that just putting more and bigger doesn't always work right.

Here are some cars that say performance to me.......

Bad Engine 1.jpg
    Bad Engine 2.jpg
    Bad Engine 3.jpg
    Bad Engine 4.jpg
    Bad Engine 5.jpg

Here is one that says "cute" to me. 3 dueces but the attitude of the car just doesn't say much about performing well. Nicely done, but "cute"
    Cute 1.jpg

And the last one is probably the best example of a car that looks like a "poser" in my opinion.
    Poser 6.jpg
    Its a nice car. But what jumps out at me is first the guy went to the trouble to supercharge it then only used 2 two barrel carbs on it. Second, the supercharger is kind of small, so its going to need to operate at a higher rpm to make much boost...so is it really helping ? Chrome fan blade and chrome ignition components. Just says to me that its never really driven or raced.....just for looks.

I know others may not agree with my assessment of how a real hot rod should look. Its not about having a blower, but no matter what components someone choose, they should look like they work together.

OK, stepping down off my soapbox.:cool:

Deuces and 1biggeorge like this.
  18. Gangrene

Gangrene

this sweetheart is on the way to my house. Screenshot_20221126-172416_eBay.jpg

Deuces, Budget36, 1biggeorge and 2 others like this.
  19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With all due respect,
    @ekimneirbo
    I believe this is a very traditional setup.
    Quite typical for the time.
    Pretty high-end, even.
    '32 5W... check
    Olds motor... check
    Vintage SCOT blower... check
    Two Stromberg 97s... check
    (Edit: Two Holley 94s... check)

Poser 6.jpg

20. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Not sure if I could agree with "poser" as a description of the 32 in your last pic. I see what you're getting at but I've seen that car run. Motor was built by Ross Racing and assuming the smaller blower and two large 97s were sized to the 324 CI Olds.....and it works. Not a drag monster by any means....but it shits and gets with that combo. It's a Hilton built car and I'm sure looks figured into it - but it's fully functional.:)
    Screenshot 2022-11-27 11.10.20 AM.png

Hollywood-East, Paul, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  21. robracer1

robracer1

Want to put 2x2s on a stock 350 Chevy engine with a mild Comp thumper cam, my question is that to little CFM and cause the engine to run to lean? probably use 97 Stromberg's

22. clem

clem

not considered the traditional way of doing it, although some Hambers have done so with Holley’94s on 283 sbc.
    I have been running 2 x 1&1/16 Holleys on 283 and it runs well. I will probably eventually run 2 primary’s of same and tip in the middle one or run all 3 straight linkage. (still experimenting and learning).

23. JOHN H EDGE

JOHN H EDGE

Just wanted to make a comment on the fellow who called the deuce coupe a “poser” and questioned the use of chrome,small blower and two carbs. Not sure what type of high powered hot rod he drives or how many long distance trips he makes in his hot rod but I can assure you this hot rod has made many 1000 mile plus trips,been down the drag strip countless times,done the best and smokeyest burn outs in Goodguys history at the “Hot Rod of the Year” durability run Nashville
    And run like a champ. I’m sure Tony from Ross Racing Engine
    Would love to have your brilliant input on his engine building abilities or Bobby on the vast experience you have on style and design when it comes building hot rods. Maybe you should drag your hot rod out and we’ll bring one of our hot rods out and we’ll take us a nice long ride and wind up at the drag strip and have us a friendly little wager on who trips the lights at the far end first. Now I’ll step down from my “soapbox”
    Take your pick,we’ve got a few hot rods B0E2079C-4108-48DA-B441-3689C63E652D.jpeg 83C8A214-6CD3-467C-9E06-FF2A22FD169B.jpeg 392DB7B6-CEFC-41D7-96B2-20C14B0A9B5C.jpeg 94F99B55-A062-4593-BBD1-08518DB4700C.jpeg

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, everybody put the switchblades away and dance back over to your own side of the street.

Paul and G-son like this.
  25. fordflambe

fordflambe

Kind of like guys taste in women.............and womens taste in guys...........

26. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Well, my reply to Mr Edge got deleted ...........

I pick the 5 window.
    When my 500 Cad powered 32 Coupe is completed I would be glad to run for Pink slips.

27. JOHN H EDGE

JOHN H EDGE

“I’m your huckleberry “ just give me a moment to change the pulleys and rear tires. See you then sweetheart

28. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Well, I've had two replys deleted because I asked about actual performance of the cars in question......but its ok for Mr Edge to make personal comments.........Hard to have a conversation when when you can't ask tech questions when the Editor above called it "Shit Talking" while personal comments don't get deleted.

Since apparently the Editor above can't be " insert quoted" here is what he said.
    "apparently the topic of multiple carburetors encourages shit talking...
    what multiple carburetor intake and carburetors is on this off topic 500 ci Cad anyway?

When did the 500 cu in Cad become an off topic subject? There are lots of references to that engine on the Hamb and my understanding is that its not an off topic engine any more that the 350 Chevy that was first made in 1967. If that has changed, then let me know.

As for carbs for it, I planned on using 2 Holly 465 cfm carbs to control the air if naturally aspirated......but after talking with a rep at a well known blower company, I'll probably be going larger than that. Depends somewhat on whether I use the used GMC 6-71 or a new 8-71 which would be better suited to 500 cu in.

Here is what Holly says about carb selection .
    Holley Catalog 1 001.jpg

Now, it would seem logical that with a blower moving even more air at wot, the size of my carbs will need some further thought. So when I see a supercharged engine with two 2 barrel carburetors controlling the amount of air that can flow, I have to wonder how that works.

The original topic question was "Why are multi carbs so popular"

The answer is that when done correctly they can increase power, and an engine that has them on it will appear to have superior performance, thereby looking Kool. Unfortunately there are many multiple carb set ups that did not look astetically appealing and many did not provide a performance increase. As time went by, logical people learned what actually worked and what was a waste of money.

jimmy six likes this.
  29. Paul

Paul
    Editor

excessive drama will get posts deleted
    or threads locked

30. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The question is asked, "Why?".
    And the only two possible answers given are "looks and performance".
    Not fair. Not enough choices.
    The answer is history. Tradition.
    Always.
    And looks and performance of the time are part of that tradition.

Here are a couple more reasons "why".

One carburetor throat per cylinder.
    Goooood air/fuel distribution.
    Goooood throttle response.

chrome_screenshot_1671931766879.png

chrome_screenshot_1671931623695.png

s-l400 (1).jpg

Adriatic Machine and rod1 like this.