Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Shipping Costs Killing Part Sales On The HAMB..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roddin-shack, Nov 25, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Earlier this year I sold a complete Model A rear end with a BW overdrive, hydraulic brakes and stock wishbones to someone living about 4 states over. By the time I delivered the piece to Denver for a relay, I made $1.98 after paying for gas, a motel, dinner with my grandson and his girlfriend. This piece went to a good home and I enjoyed the visit with my grandson and his girl friend. No complaints here.

'28phonebooth and 49ratfink like this.
  2. bchctybob

bchctybob

Yeah, that happens with all of the carriers from time to time, UPS being the worst in my experience. I received a part via UPS that pretty much fell out of the box when I picked it up, dumb luck that it arrived at all.
    I package things like they are going to be in an old Samsonite luggage commercial.

3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Maybe Ryan could come up with some kind of hamb discount for shipping combined with the post office.

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Suck it up butter cups. We're not supposed to talk about eggs, milk, beef, and all the other shit that's over the top, right? EVERYTHING is pricey now. Quit, dump your shit. I'll come n get it in my diesel dually and 5th wheel trailer. Guess what, I'll sell it and get shipping quotes 1st. Won't buy cuz shipping? Horse apples. "Oh man, I really need it, but I have to buy groceries today and the shipping, oh poor me..." then WTF are you doing building a hot rod? This has never, Never, NEVER been the life for the faint of wallet. If I can't afford it rt now I'll wait, I'll hustle, I'll trade, I'll flip shit. I'll ship what I flip too.

Need shit so I flip shit from some dip shit who threw it in a pit cuz he couldn't see the money in it so I had to have it, knew I could spin it. Then I hadda ship it and some nit wit thought I'd give it cuz to ship was some spendy shit but I can't help it, had nuttin to do wit it. It is what it is when you in dis biz and we gotta adapt not cry like lil kids. Swap meets better? Seems like it is, I like that too, make more cheddar. Good networking too make friends and contacts, sorry y'all, just hadda spit facts. Add your own beats or go a capella, but you prolly tired of hearing this fella. Peace out...

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Yeah that free shipping is kinda funny! It’s been a while since I had this happen, but I ordered some stuff and the bill came to something like $185, $15 short of free shipping. The cost of shipping my $185 purchase was something like $45. So, I shop in the catalog, buy $15 MORE stuff and get free shipping. So I bought more stuff cheaper! That doesn’t usually happen and really doesn’t make good sense!
    That kinda like the the time I was buying a small item and the person selling told me “ the more you buy, the cheaper they are”. So I said “ just give me enough untill they are free”! :D

Bones

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

haha! my local Wal Mart had a big display of my favorite Modelo beer in those pretty blue boxes they come in right where you walk in.. I was there for other things but bought one.... $26.00 for an 18 pack at 7-11 :eek: $26.00 for 24 at Wal-Mart. those sneaky bastards, now I have to go to Walmart to get my beer.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

It's not that simple.........:)

Diesel Fuel should not cost $5+ per gallon, and UPS isn't subsidized like the USPS. Same thing with the guys in Australia......there is no reason for the astronomical shipping rates there except public policy. Railroads in the US are on the verge of a strike, and Amazon workers worldwide are wanting pay and benefit increases as this is written. Pricing can only get worse. I'll leave it at that...........:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2022
  8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

still a car nut, but now big into vintage Schwinns. I do a lot of buying and selling to support my habit, lucky for this hobby most of the parts are small and not too crazy to ship. I have been selling on the CABE (classic and antique bicycle exchange) ... it's the HAMB for bikes with with buying and selling being a bigger part of it than we have here.

I find the USPS flat rate boxes to be a better deal than other alternatives. any weight, one price to the 48 states. they have 4 or 5 different sizes. still more than it used to be, but what isn't?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. I am in trucking and logistics. We ship drybulk. Right now I have a load on the road heading 289 miles away. Fuel surcharge at the moment is 52.8%, this 32 ton load is running $806 to the buyer. Actual freight is almost double that. Add the two together. These are all costs incurred by the customer. Customers never used to blink about the FSC. Now that diesel is so high they sure started squawking a few months back All these costs trickle down to us as consumers

10. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

The CABE is awesome. I cleaned up a hoarder site and 35 vintage bikes found new homes through that forum.

49ratfink likes this.
  11. ken bogren

ken bogren

Seems to me we used to see more talk of HAMB relays.

Just Gary and theHIGHLANDER like this.
  12. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Seems to me we used to talk about cars.

guthriesmith, XXL__ and egads like this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

As a buyer would you be more likely to buy some thing for $20.00 with FREE shipping or spend $10.00 for the item with $10.00 postage & handling added?

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

When I list stuff with FREE postage & handling and guess WRONG I cover that extra cost. Postoffice has a overcharge based on the length of the box. Headlight bars cost an additional $15.00 bucks now.

15. Nice looking Plymouth!

trulyvintage likes this.
  16. nickleone

nickleone

Look into using PIRATESHIP.COM better pricing than UPS last time I looked.
    Nick
    Retired shipping store owner

17. Budget36

Budget36

I bought some unused reproduction brake drums a bit back, seller felt bad on the shipping cost and wanted to split it with me. I said naw, can’t eat into your price like that.
    You either want the part and pay the associated costs, or keep looking.

Bill's Auto Works and The37Kid like this.
  18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

that is enough, we have better things to do than delete political comments on this thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.