Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Chopped 51 Chrysler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptop40, Nov 6, 2022.

1. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

O.K , so after 2 years without a shop/garage the 51 was for sale and surprisingly did not sell. ....Got lucky and Just closed on a 2 house property , full basements and a huge walk up attic , 1 acre and an oversize 2 car garage.. ..Plan is to convert to disc brakes on stock front end , updated steering box, new leaf springs out back and possibly a caddy 500 or other oddity drivetrain.....Any suggestions on steering upgrades for the larger series Chrysler......building the car to cruise ..... 61341321028__4B25EAB0-6692-482C-B51D-EFDBB8B6C5C0.JPG

2. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. I was watching it when it was for sale, decided another project for me was not wise. The Caddy would be a nice swap. Me, I'd consider sub framing it to get all newer suspension and the ability to add AC, etc.

chryslerfan55 likes this.

4. Good on you for getting a place with a garage. I know the storage trials you have had. 500 Caddy or even a 440 Mopar would be cool.

Car in the background kinda looks familiar....

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

I've not followed this concept to the letter myself, I'm a SBC guy but a Mopar in a Mopar is the direction I would choose. Kool car.

6. Glad to hear that you will be building the car! It is definitely cool. :cool:

7. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bangin Tin thats funny... .....originally wanted to do a early 60s Buick full chassis /floor swap...Nail head and all...first finish the chop...garnish mouldings , some minor rust repair here and there ...

8. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

located a running driving 65 era gm platform for a complete chassis , floor swap...figuring i can cut out my floor and firewall and lower my 51 onto other platform and then its fit and weld...only doubt is the gm platform is 4 inches more track width up front...off set rims would fix that...hint ...the runner has a rocket under the hood....

chryslerfan55 and bobss396 like this.
  9. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Are your floor and frame junk? If not, why not sub frame with the donner clip, you can narrow the track through the center of the crossmember and build new motor mounts accordingly. Your car, your time. I took on a merc project years ago that a previous shop started with a mid 80's Olds frame and floor, it turned out okay but what a pain is the ass! Best of luck. Larry

10. Yea, I would also struggle with wanting to completely swap the body over as well especially onto a chassis that was too wide. Offsetting the wheels rarely looks right to me and I would think there is an easier way to accomplish what you are looking to do.

chryslerfan55 and Just Gary like this.
  11. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

just an idea... just rebuild the stock front suspension and upgrade steering would be ok too as its a cruiser driver , not a sports car.....new rear leaf springs available from Eaton last time i checked....

12. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

wondering if a early 60s saginaw steering box would work..bet it might...now just gotta find one...manual of course...

13. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's the problem with the stock box? Once you rebuild the existing steering components, that era Chryslers are fantastic road cars. Parts are available for almost everything on the chassis of that car, let me know if you need referrals for anything in particular.

~Peter

14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@choptop40 Glad you got settled enough to do some fun stuff.

I think you know I have a '53 Chrysler. My ears perk up when you start talking nuts and bolts about your car.

First thing. Short and sweet. I would always try to use the original chassis.

Now I have a question.
    I'm totally clueless on the power steering boxes on these cars.
    @caprockfabshop Peter, sounds like you might know. Do these cars have a power steering system that's different from others? Something about no visible hydraulic lines? My steering wheel says power steering but I don't see any hydraulic lines. The car came to me with no engine, but I don't even see any ports on the steering box for hydraulic lines.

@choptop40 aside from my power steering question, I'll be interested to see what kind of box you might come up with if you do decide to change it out. Not sure what I'm going to do, either.

15. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Post a pic of your box and I can tell you what it is. In 1951, only the Imperials got the new Power Steering, so assuming your car still has it's original steering box, it is likely a manual version. Not that you'd necessarily want the Factory Power, very twitchy and difficult to rebuild and adjust.

~Peter

16. I use the 525 Saginaw from a 79 CJ. Lots available from the jeep sources, new or reman. Last one I got a few weeks ago from a jeep vendor near Boston was around $70 on that auction site. The same box has been used over the years in GM cars. Believe I had a manual 525 in my 64 Impala back in the day. It shares the same bolt pattern as the popular Vega box but is intended for larger heavier vehicles.
    525 box.jpg

17. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks...thats what im thinking...The 51 Chrysler also has a bellcrank in the center of the crossmember..... to prevent bumpsteer i think...This might not be popular but some hamb members have installed GM Cavalier style rack and pinion on their mopars...eliminates all those components , more clearance for exhaust too....im also now open to front frame graft ..

chryslerfan55 and caprockfabshop like this.
  18. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Found a 50 Desoto with restored chassis with modern upgrades professionally built over 20 years ago , then put in storage ,,..comes with a 350 chevy , 4 speed plan is chassis swap the 51 Chrysler as its a direct swap. Desoto would be a cool gasser candidate. Yes , No , Maybe on that thought

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  19. I'd consider it, seems like 1-stop shopping if it is all you say it is.

20. Sounds reasonable to me.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like a plan.

22. fixed it for ya !

And yes cool car , cool plan !

always loved the 50’s Dodge :p….. I’m mean Chrysler dashboards , so decadent and fancy !!

23. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok..i did put a deposit on the Desoto . I will document with pics...and once i swap things over i will probably sell the Desoto ...Looks like the New Year is going to be a new chassis year for the Chrysler...A 4 speed is a hot rod transmission..getting it set up is not an issue for my skill level..id probably go with a slave cylinder to actuate the pressure plate...linkage can be a bear to set up sometimes...

VANDENPLAS and guthriesmith like this.
  24. Congrats! Looking forward to your progress! :cool:

25. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got he Chrysler and the other Mopar moved to our new digs and decided to leave the Chrysler mounted on stock frame , rebuikd the stock front suspension , new leafs out back ...its for sale in the mean time..its really a cruiser ....

Attached Files:

bobss396 likes this.
  26. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

DSC_7999.jpg

Under threat of being deleted -- I channeled this 54 Plymouth 4 inches (over a later model GM mid-size car) frame (hope they don't get me) and for $250 and got front wheel disc brakes, a later model transmission, tilt wheel, 12-volt stuff, a rear end that included emergency brakes, a later model gas tank and more. It was an "Editors Choice" in 2008 and 2023 at the LA Roadster Show. Same car, same stuff. Had to spend some time on the ground at a local wrecking yard measuring around. Save a lot of money and most of the stuff agrees with the other parts (354 Chrysler Hemi).

Last edited: May 25, 2023
    RodStRace, Moedog07, bobss396 and 3 others like this.
  27. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats whats its all about..all this nay say about chassis swaps ..model As didnt come built from Dearborn on duece rails....love the build...

SS327 likes this.
  28. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone else doin chassis swaps....Hamb friendly of course...

29. Moedog07

Moedog07

I am gathering parts for an un-HAMB-friendly chassis swap soon. I have a long wheel base Alphabet-Number donor chassis waiting to be used, Traditionally of course.