Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Kustom 1958 f100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bewarethebob, Oct 23, 2022.

1. Squablow

Squablow

If you can figure out how to cut that Lincoln bumper to make it straight across I think it would look great. The shape lends itself to that area very well (other than the peak). Plus exhaust could exit out of it, or more lights could go there or something.

OahuEli and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Bewarethebob

Bewarethebob

Yeah I was looking for a bumper that had more character than a lot of the basic 50s bumpers. Hopefully I can make it work

chryslerfan55 and Squablow like this.
  3. Spooky

Spooky

NEATO!!! Gosh, all of these Fridge trucks coming out of the woodwork!

Here is mine!

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. I'm old and pretty conservative but I'd like to add some thoughts to this. Hot rods as a rule, are a reflections of personal taste. Color, wheels and engines. Many have few body mods. Customs are a reflection but also show the builders creativity. When we deviate from stock appearances, it's easier to have a smaller audience who appreciates the final result. I think many would agree that the custom world is smaller than the hot rod world. The only thing that I feel is important is that no matter what the vehicle is, you should be smiling as you walk towards it to drive away. I'm sure the builder of this truck is aware of this but it's easy to get lost if you're struggling for ideas. I'm one who gets to it and gets it done. If I can't come up with an idea, I work around that area. Sometimes it takes 6 months for an idea to become viable. We don't all have access to someone who can do renderings of our ideas. Many of us use cardboard. (CAD) :) My point is to not deviate too far from your original concept unless it was poor and you need to redo everything. Many times our original vision was based on some vehicle we saw that we fell in love with. Don't loose sight. You're doing ok. Best wishes. :)

5. Bewarethebob

Bewarethebob

That things cool

Spooky likes this.
  6. Bewarethebob

Bewarethebob

Very true, I guess being a person who really appreciates kustoms its harder for me to understand why people bash them for one reason or another. I totally agree with what you're saying though and thank you

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  7. cabong

cabong

I hate to admit it, but I fall into that "more mature" bracket.... Just a personal opinion, but I have always felt a hot rod or custom should be driven and parked at the same height. Not that I don't think air and hydraulics make for really great looks, 'cause I do. Now, that all being said, since 1958 I have wanted to replicate this short-wide, just haven't got around to it. It needs a color picture (hint, hint) to really appreciate the overall truck. Remember, this was in 1958.... 1957 Ford PU.jpg

8. Bewarethebob

Bewarethebob

I got one section cut up and mocked in place. 20221130_175311.jpg 20221130_175254.jpg 20221130_175242.jpg

9. Wow, figuring it out as you go along in a design build kind of way. I would have to have most of the parts ahead of time and mock them up. So any chance that you are eliminating the original tailight in favour of something in the bumper or fender spear? For me the colour becomes secondary to this type of body mods. Continue along the fine line to be brave, but not exaggerated. Your truck would take some of my time if I saw it at a show. Maybe autorama in Detroit?

chryslerfan55, brEad and Bewarethebob like this.
  10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

11. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Hell yeah! Looks great!

Bewarethebob likes this.
  12. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is killer, I too wish we could see the orchid paint in color... what magazine is it from?

13. Bewarethebob

Bewarethebob

Thank you. I just keep getting new ideas or find cool new parts so it keeps changing. The original tail lights were just a small 3" round light in the middle, all of that is custom work. The spears will just be my turn signal, similar to a 59 ford. I'm not sure what I'm doing in the bumper yet... I would love to bring it to autorama one day but I'm in Florida and that's a long drive lol.

14. Just found your thread. Love the slick 50s trucks any way they are built. You're doing great with this one!

Bewarethebob likes this.
  15. This is exactly what I used on my '57 avatar about 10 years ago, only I found my ss pet bowls in the kitchen sink waiting to be washed, lol!.
    Thinking outside the box is exactly why I've been following this very stimulating thread.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  16. Bewarethebob

Bewarethebob

Lol thank you, I've been keeping my eye out for pet bowls

17. Keep on keepin' on, man!

Any updates?

18. Digging the bumper..some sort of chromed mesh would look killer in there

19. Bewarethebob

Bewarethebob

I got the other side mocked up, thats about it. I haven't had much time to work on it lately
    20221203_220546.jpg 20221203_220556.jpg 20221203_220622.jpg

20. Bewarethebob

Bewarethebob

That's exactly what I've been thinking about doing

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  21. Bewarethebob

Bewarethebob

Snagged these 56 buick portholes too, playing around with some ideas 20221213_202936.jpg

22. That bumper is coming together, waiting to see about the liscense plate, and the filler for the void in the bumpers. Lots of room in those bumpers for fade away/peakaboo inventiveness.

23. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Maybe a section of a 58 Ford chrome mesh grill would work in there....

Elcohaulic likes this.
  24. Bewarethebob

Bewarethebob

Thanks, I'm still undecided on the license plate area and the openings in the bumper

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. Bewarethebob

Bewarethebob

I like that a lot, maybe if I can find one for a decent price

chryslerfan55 and Jeff Norwell like this.
  26. Bewarethebob

Bewarethebob

Pulled the trigger on these portholes, I think they look decent... just tacked in for now, I ran out of gas 20221214_171627.jpg 20221214_180353.jpg 20221214_180532.jpg 20221214_190056.jpg

27. Bewarethebob

Bewarethebob

20230131_193432.jpg 20230131_204417.jpg still alive... been working on some non hamb friendly stuff so I haven't been posting any updates. Finished my hubcaps though

Fabulous50's, brEad, Squablow and 6 others like this.
  28. I’m a digging it

Bewarethebob likes this.
  29. Are those Mercury bumpers?