Register now to get rid of these ads!

Winters Remote Breather Tanks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Winters Remote Breather Tanks

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Full transparency and what not - Winters sent me one of these breather tanks free of charge and I will be putting it on my model A. However, I wasn't paid to write good shit about it... and my editorial isn't for sale. So, this isn't a paid promotional... I just thought it was cool and thought some of you might as well.

3. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

4. Curt is a good dude, and very talented as well. Looks like a product that will be well received.

brady1929 likes this.

5. hemiorange

hemiorange

Neat idea. I think he will have to retain the breather on the differential as it will be hard to get gear oil to flow down the line while air is coming up. I can see using one as a radiator overflow as well.

6. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

@Rocky

I think Rock's got a Quick Change

Flyineatride, Tim and Tman like this.
  7. Man, this is really cool to read...thanks Ryan.

We do have both sizes in stock now. If you have any questions I'm happy to answer them here, and if you're interested in one give us a call and we'll get you squared away. I'm working on an installation video right now that I'll have out soon...it's a quick and easy install. Here's a still shot from that video showing one of the 4" tanks in Jon Wright's Deuce.

IMG_1654 small.jpg

And here's a link to the "New Parts" page on our website with a little more info about the tanks.
    https://wintersperformance.com/new-products

Thanks again for giving these a look. We hope you guys like them!

8. Question? How will you know the proper amount to fill the quickchange and reservoir? Can you overfill it with this thing? I have a quickie in my coupe and could be a player.

chryslerfan55 and Outback like this.
  9. When you change your gears, you'll have a pan beneath the rear to catch what drains out. As long as the oil looks good, you can pour the oil that drains into the pan right back into the fill tank. That rear end oil doesn't need to be changed very often (in street use). You can also remove the oil check plug, which is on the passenger side of the rear in between the gear cavity and the main ring & pinion cavity. When the oil weeps out of that, it's at the proper level.

10. Forgot to mention, I know there are some Winters dealers on the HAMB...if any of you guys want to carry these, shoot me a DM. Right now these are available direct through us because we just got them in stock, but we do want to make them available through our dealers as well.

11. jaracer

jaracer

I remember a late model racer who had a tank setup like this. His fill port was just inside the back window (no glass). He stopped at a Sunoco station to get fuel in the race car. The attendant told him the fuel tank would only take a little less than a gallon of fuel. That is because he filled the rear end with fuel. The fuel tank filler and the rear end filler were both in the rear window.

chryslerfan55, Tim and Tman like this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-11-23_8-46-42.png

Hello,

Very impressive machining, welding and final product. It looks well made and will add to anyone’s trunk accessory package + Quickchange.
    upload_2022-11-23_8-47-50.png

Jnaki

Moon and Winters, a good combination for a quality product. If we had a Quickchange, it certainly would be a part of the whole set up. I can see it now, the nice design product in the trunk. With the next idea/modification will come from someone that uses the tall slender one as a radiator overflow catch receptacle. Nice work! +++

https://www.wintersperformance.com/new-products

chryslerfan55, Outback and HEMI32 like this.
  13. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Very nice!

The Winters Quick Change Breather, Oil Fill and Easier Than Changing The Leaking Seal tank.

I need one...

14. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Makes me wish I had a quickchange...

Outback likes this.
  15. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll be having one of those babies! Funny timing as I'd been working out making to do precisely what this does. Exchange rates and shipping costs will kill me though. Oh well!

Chris

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @GearheadsQCE, can you get these?

I might need a couple for my build.

Outback likes this.
  18. Thanks, I wasn't sure if you added more than normal

19. neat part ! if I had a quick change in my 36 I would be a player for sure.. Thank you for sharing these with us.:D

Outback likes this.
  20. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

I saw the photos, and thought "cool! Little Moon tanks!". There are quite a few people making small tanks for overflow bottles, but the Moon lines really stand out. They are elegant.

I'm not sure what you call it (form?) but it is a testament to Moon (and Winters) that you can look at an item form a distance and readily identify the manufacturer.

Cheers,
    Harv

21. Speedster

Speedster

22. Speedster

Speedster

A setup like this commonly has two lines connected to it. One line from the bottom of the tank to the fill level port, and another from up high on the tank to the breather. My vintage midget is set up like this, and it allows you to easily refill through the tank. Also, if I were putting this in the trunk I’d vent the cap to the exterior of the car. Otherwise you would probably get vent gases and the smell of gear oil inside the car.
    John

23. Hey @Ryan , whatever happened with those cool old toolboxes you got ahold of??

5window likes this.
  24. When you change gears you lose very little oil (maybe a half a quart?), so that's all you're replacing. Since you'll likely have the oil level check plug out when you fill it anyway it won't airlock, but even with the check plug in place that small amount of oil will drain from the tank into the rear without a problem. It just takes a minute. As far as smelling gear oil through the vent, we put one of these in the trunk of a closed car over the summer to test it out and didn't have any issues with fumes. Thanks!

USMercUte, egads and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Hey guys. I just posted a quick installation video on these tanks if you want to check it out. Fairly self-explanatory, but this gives you an idea of what's involved. Post away if you've got any questions I can answer. Thanks!