Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage How to start and old car "Car & Coffee"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi Joel, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Hi, I was thinking we need a "Cars and Coffee" event around here. (Buffalo, Minnesota about 1/2 hour to an hour west of all the stuff going on in the Minneapolis St. Paul metro area.) There is a cars & Coffee about 25 miles away at a garage condominium MotorPlex. They require registration and they fill up. But it is a lot of late model and foreign stuff.
    I would like to see an event like that about once or twice a month on a Saturday morning during the spring-summer-fall where old cars just gather, hang out for a couple hours, maybe go into the restaurant and have coffee or breakfast, or just hang out in the parking lot and look at old cars and talk to car people. No registration, no entry fee, no prizes, come and go when you want. But I would like it to focus on older, collectible cars, not a bunch of late model stuff.
    There is a restaurant in town that would be perfect because they are a mom & pop outfit with no cooperate rules, have a lot of tables, and a huge parking lot on a easy in & out side street. They are new, and could really use some more business.

Any idea on how I could organize this and limit it to old cars with out having to be a gate cop? Open to ideas and suggestions.

Thanks, Joel

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  2. Moedog07

Moedog07

We run a "Breakfast Cruise" at a local Cafe that lets us use half of their parking lot of the Cafe. The owner of the Cafe is a car guy and has several non-Hamb friendly vehicles. By design, we meet during breakfast hours on the forth Saturday of the month in the spring-summer time. The other businesses are closed during those hours and on a good event day the cars spill over to their parking lots too. Every month I come up with three different flyers. The Cafe posts the flyer they like best for the event in the restaurant & on their website, and I post the flyers on social media. So far it seems to work, weather and holidays permitting. I'd like to see a bigger turn out but not sure what else to do to make that happen. The morning of the event we set up cones and caution tape to section off the parking lot. Sometimes we set up the night before. If not the early rising customers just park any where. Initially it was limited to vintage cars, street rods, and the like, but now it's open to anything automotive.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  3. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I have had experience supporting locally-owned business, so I commend you for your interest.
    Start with the owner of the cafe, introduce yourself and talk to him about your idea: 1. To get
    car guys/gals together and 2. To do so in a way that would draw in support for his business.
    Local burger shop hands out flyers announcing the car gathering every Friday night, and if you
    mention that you are with the group, offer a free soda. Local car clubs support the guy by offering
    a free mini-sundae coupon to those participants. My opinion is the more cars the better, so open
    it up to anyone who has an interest in car things, and/or owns a hobby car. This offends no one
    and gets even more people, especially young adults that may not even be driving yet, to feel
    welcome at the gathering. Just a thought.

Hemi Joel likes this.
  4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Social media, groups on internet. Make a flyer post it online and in public places.
    Go hang out with your type of car guys. Local car shows help also.
    Local car clubs.
    Make the flyer to display the the type of cars wanted.
    Car years 72 and older or 65 and older.
    We try to go to other cruise ins and cars and coffee. It helps to promote ours.
    After a couple of times most will get what type of gathering it is.
    We went to one cruise in and was the only one there with a car older than1976.
    we never went back. People learn fast.
    good luck and enjoy.

5. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

The restaurant owners may or may not be interested - one thing to consider is not everyone who shows up is actually going to go in the restaurant and buy food, so it won't necessarily be a money maker for them.

The Motorplex does have themed Cars and Coffee events that are only for a certain type of car - for instance, I was there this last fall with my off topic daily driver for a German car event. You could talk to them to see if they'd be interested in doing one for HAMB friendly cars, I'm sure there are some of the condo owners there who have hot rods and/or customs.

rusty valley and Hemi Joel like this.
  6. bchctybob

bchctybob

In the old days we actually cruised Friday or Saturday night from one place to another and back, stopping at one place or the other for Cokes and conversation, then moving on to the other end. Not a lawn chair in sight. Cars would come thumping through, and everyone got to hear the exhaust and see the paint and chrome shining under the lights. Our little town has the perfect setup with great restaurants and coffee houses about three miles apart. But I don't know if anyone here shares my memories and would be interested in getting something like that going.

Moedog07, Driver50x, Tman and 6 others like this.
  7. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

The morning Cars and Coffee events usually don't involve lawn chairs, people aren't around long enough for that. The idea is you drive there, hang out for a couple hours kicking tires and talking to people, then drive home. People are pulling in or leaving all the time so you can see and hear the cars running. They're popular since people usually have a little free time on a Saturday morning, and since the event doesn't last long they can then get on with the rest of their day.

8. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

That's about what I was thinking. For me to drive to an organized event in the metro, hang around till it's over, them back home, shoots most of the day. So I don't do it too often. But the casual, come and go as you please thing, close to home, I'd go. I think lots would.

9. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

The building owner who has ultimate control of the parking lot doesn't have an issue with it. The restaurant owner would probably support it, but it's really about the cars and owners. Helping the restaurant is a bonus.

Bob Lowry likes this.
  10. BILL LUPIANO

BILL LUPIANO
    BANNED
    from Canada

11. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Are you referring to the one in Medina? That is the closest one to here. I've thought about going a few times, but then when I looked at the pictures online, it seemed like it was mostly modern/foreign. I've been to a thing at the motorplex in Channhassen, and that had some good stuff, but it is so far away.

12. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a cars n coffee gathering every other Sunday during the good weather part of the year in my town. No fee, no registration, everyone is welcomed. It’s only been going for two years, but it grows each time. We get 30 or so cars in our small town and we gather in the grass lawn in front of a car and airplane museum. At first we took turns providing coffee, donuts, etc., and now there is a tip jar to help with that. We advertise by work of mouth and event business cards one of the folks had printed.

You may get a bigger crowd in Mound, but I’d suggest you decide if you want to restrict attendance or have it open to everyone. I don’t know why anyone would require registration for one of these events, but then again I live in a small town (grew up in Golden Valley nearby your place though).

Good luck and kudos for trying to get car people together.

John

alanp561, '28phonebooth and Hemi Joel like this.
  13. Ours are always a Sunday morning. Get there early, the coffee and breakfast places are open by 6:30, everyone is pretty much gone by 9 when the general public start to arrive for the other shops etc. I'm always home by 9ish and it's a 30/40 minute drive for me. Rest of the day is free.

lothiandon1940 and Just Gary like this.

14. The bonus of your gathering is the museum! My wife and I have gone to their Saturday fly-n-drive a couple of times to enjoy their activities. You're lucky to live near it... anyone within convenient driving distance to check it out: WAAM (I think it's called)

15. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Yes, the one in Medina. They have an event calendar that shows upcoming C&C events and there will be often be themes like German, Japanese, Italian, etc. (of course, there's nothing on the calendar now and probably won't be until spring.)

For that matter the one in Chanhassen is only a little more than 20 miles from the one in Medina, so it's not all that far away.

16. Budget36

Budget36

I was at the UPS store in town (bare with me here) and walked in holding some parts for a ‘42 Ford PU. Store was crazy busy that day. The guy behind me struck up a conversation like “looks like old iron parts” or similar. We had time to talk. He said I should meet with him and the “guys and gals” on Tuesday nights at a Snowwhite drive in the next town over.
    I’d been by the place in the evening before when I was on a day shift, and recalled anywhere from 15-25 old cars and Hotrods, customs, etc filling up the parking lot and along the side street.
    As we talked, he told me how it got started. Was two guys who would meet on that evening in their old cars, get a burger, etc and shoot the breeze.
    One day someone stopped in (apparently had driven by and noticed the habit) and asked who owned the (whatever cars they were) said he had noticed them before.
    They hit it off, the “new guy” invited a friend, etc, etc.
    I didn’t ask how long it took to get to where it was, I was mid-late 50’s at the time and the fella had a few years on me.

I got the impression that it became a thing with many people who had the same interests and cars and were friends of each other at the same time.

Be a pioneer Joel, get together with a few friends that have the same interest as you do at the same place every week at the same time.
    Maybe I’ve become a bit distant over the years, but even if I like a persons car/truck, I may like seeing the car again by not the person.

vtx1800 and Algoma56 like this.
  17. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was introduced to a local Saturday morning coffee and donut meet up over 2 years ago. We all meet at a local donut shop in a shopping center with only one other business open at the time. We start arriving around 6am and are gone by 9am. The donut shop owner really benefits from all the coffee and donuts we buy. She even wears one of the T shirts we had printed up. No requirements other than you're a car guy or gal. We have everything from blown roadsters, woodies, muscle cars, trucks, and even VW's that show up. The age of those who show up range from a gal with a VW who just graduated from HS to old farts in their '80's. Yes there are non HAMB friendly vehicles in attendance but its a chance to convert some to more traditional rides, especially the younger ones.

Algoma56 likes this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

@hemijoel Your intentions are wonderful. As long as you have private property, a café to associate the location and event, ½ of your battle is over. But, check out the legalities of location, insurance if needed and responsibilities. Local police presence is a good way to get the “image” of street takeovers out of the public minds.

A nice small gathering started the whole Cars and Coffee events here in So Cal many years ago. Hot rod guys gathered to just meet, have some coffee and doughnuts. The early days turned into larger events with more folks showing up. But, the early notifications were word of mouth. These days, social media has shown its presence and it has grown to big name events and people.

So, watch out what you wish for these gatherings. There are always idiots that ruin everything by burning rubber, being overly active as clowns, some not knowing their skill levels and actually crashing their cars at these events. The term “Idiot in a Mustang” started becoming popular to describe those who attended these local events and had to show off. Loud exhausts, and acceleration out of control coined the term. So, they were also responsible for the popular events being forced to leave the parking areas and find a new location.

As the new locations started and gathered steam, again, the same thing happened. Disgruntled Mustang/Camaro owners had to show off their stuff and the local police had to be called in to patrol. But, eventually the weekly shows were shut down and moved. The majority of the car folks had nice cars and were proud to display them. It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone.

Jnaki

Today, we can add in the new group of idiots that use loud exhausts, leaving rubber on out of control turns and making a menace of the roads with their idiocy. The new found Chryslers with lots of noise are now added to the root of the evil.

Limiting the gatherings to pre 48 hot rods will set up a rule, but lack of participation may be the result. So, limiting it to a date like the HAMB’s 1965 or older only, may help. At least, you will get the folks that have cool station wagons and other cruisers and not just fenderless hot rods.

Out here in the Westcoast of So Cal are two samples of good shows that have a following. The Donut Derelicts in Huntington Beach and the Cars/Coffee at the Outlet Shopping Center in South Orange County, just off of the I-5 freeway. Each has its followers. The pandemic dropped the numbers down, but each is still a draw, every week.

The the South OC Cars and Coffee is an offshoot of the original Cars and Coffee event that started in Irvine many years ago. After having been located in several different shopping centers over the years. The Donut Derelicts started in the 80’s with similar ideas of showcasing a car gathering for So Cal locals. Social media has helped each one. But, it has also increased the liability and attraction for those idiots from the other events.
    upload_2022-11-22_6-49-55.png
    There are more older hot rod builds at the Donut Derelicts. Whereas, the South OC event is larger, it attracts more sporty cars than hot rods/cruisers. But it also attracts more idiots, too. You might want to contact either sponsor of each So Cal event for their perspective on your event and startup. There has been growth and many changes over the time both have been around.
    upload_2022-11-22_6-50-32.png
    We all started our teenage gatherings after our local or long distance cruising in our old hot rods or cruisers. They were weekly, if we wanted to see other hot rods/cruisers/racers, the neighboring drive-in restaurants or hangouts were a short drive away, in Long Beach and Lakewood. If we wanted something different, then a trip to Harvey's Broiler up the Long Beach Freeway was the answer.

But, times have changed and with that, more difficulties for a pure pre 1965 event gathering, weekly.

i.rant, mitch 36 and Almostdone like this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Austin kays had a “cars and breakfast burritos from a sketchy liquor store at 9am on a Sunday” meet up. Wildly successful with quite a lot of good cars showing up. It might be the same setting up a cars and coffee but I tell ya it’s a challenge to fit all that on a flier lol 19193096-9A6C-45F5-ACC2-5775F46E44DB.jpeg E5F9BE81-9078-4A37-B09F-1E1F382A2CF6.jpeg 6C12AD1D-1B2B-4214-9585-77E37074AA34.jpeg @flatout51 showed up and he had a pretty regular breakfast meet up for a long time as well.

I want to say if you want to keep it “your” kind of cars invite people you know and tell them to invite everyone else. Then assume literally not one of them will show up the first time. Then when they do show up you don’t feel so bad lol

then set a regular time. It’s going to be the third Saturday at 9 regardless of month etc. i know David changed location pretty often but we all knew what part of the city it would be in and the time/date so I’d just wake up feeling like some early morning bullshiting and text him asking where it was that day if I didn’t already know.

David Gersic and flatout51 like this.
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Find a Donut shop in a strip mall that opens early and be gone by 8-8:30 when the other stores open. Donut Derelicts in Huntington Beach started with 5-6 guys 20-25 years ago and grew slowly to what it is today.
    We also have 10 million to draw from in the greater LA/Orange County area. Good luck…..

jnaki, Lil 32 and Hemi Joel like this.
  21. I know you want to keep the Cars & Coffee more of a older car deal, and I'm all for that, but how can you police a public setting to prevent guys driving new Corvettes & Mustangs from participating? HRP

Hemi Joel likes this.
  22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let them in…..they are car guys and usually park together. Derelicts has a row of V-dubs too. New Corvettes attract old Corvette’s like flies. If not enough of them show they will leave.
    Post a sign for no burnouts or call the cops to hide down the street. Mustangs guy can’t resist doing burnouts and a few tickets will rid you of them.

23. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Maybe I could just call it "Old Cars and Coffee" and let people set their own definition of what is an old car. Anything pre 1970 is an old car in my mind. But a lot of other people think anything pre-2000 or some other standard. But it would be a stretch to think that a bunch of 3-year-old exotics would be an old car.

24. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

The only donut shop in town has a parking lot capacity of about 15 cars.
    The restaurant that I have in mind will hold over a hundred in their parking lot. The building used to be a grocery store, so they have a good size lot.

25. 15 or so years ago I hosted a Saturday hot rod breakfast in the winter months. Depending on temps guys drove either their rods or customs OR their daily. We had about 4 or 5 places we did it at over the years. Ours was more of a social deal. I kept it small, under a dozen. The trick is finding the right venue. Then just start with word of mouth....

Hemi Joel likes this.
  26. Tman has a good idea, start a Saturday breakfast meet, invite the guys you want and they will spred the word,

We dad a Wednesday deal for several years, unfortunately the restaurant closed and many of the hot rodders have since passed away, the colder months seemed to be the ideal time to try this. HRP

Hemi Joel likes this.
  27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you want to partner with a business that does breakfast, find out which weekend day, and what time that they are the slowest.

That way you will not only not be displacing business, but possibly bringing more, to a time period where they would not otherwise have it.

I have seen CnC events where they pass the hat for ones and fives, which they use to buy a gift certificate from the business, to be drawn for the next week.

This guarantees at least some business, and possibly repeat visits.

28. Two of our sites were truck stops here in town. Mid morning Saturday seemed to be a lull between the breakfast crowd and the lunch rush. Plus they have TONS of parking.

Hemi Joel likes this.
  29. ken bogren

ken bogren

This sounds like a winner to me!

Hemi Joel and gimpyshotrods like this.
  30. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I live in Delano MN and hit Chanhassen once or twice a summer. A Studebaker club member has a garage in there and we make it a club day.
    I think a C&C day would go over well.

Hemi Joel likes this.