Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Ed Pink's Shop to Be Torn Down (Shop Tour)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Nov 19, 2022.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I just found this video of Ed Pink's shop tour. The city wants to take over the land and tear down his shop by 2028 to build a bus terminal.:mad:

mctim64, Gizzy, fauj and 18 others like this.
  2. SOHC427

SOHC427

3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

That's a shame.

lothiandon1940 and Speed Gems like this.
  4. All the history in the building, this is more than sad.

lothiandon1940 and Speed Gems like this.

5. fuzzface

fuzzface

What I don't like is when they tear something down for future progress and then they run into red tape and the property just sits empty for many years afterwards.

6. His health is frail,,,,but his mind is still sharp as a tack .
    He’s a Great engine man !

Tommy

7. That, I say that is shame ( downright rude that is, ) a drag racing icon who did more for engine building than most and all of a sudden they decided knocking down his shop is good idea ( which it ain’t)

8. That's a good video. The 1st mag blower I bought was a Pink 8/71. His stuff was high. I don't know if it was better than anybody else's but he had the mastery of selling so people paid the price. The people that weren't engine builders did well with his engines. With what little I know about the LA area, I surprised that he hasn't left long before now. Where it is urban crawl or the price of the property, very little stays the same.

Speed Gems and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Land is expensive, and it is hard to make more of it.

Nothing can sit empty, or be leased at a PSF rate that is under-market value.

This is in an industrial section of Van Nuys, facing a freight railroad grade. It is not under pressure for housing (yet).

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ed Pink is the legend here, not the generic monolithic concrete building in a Van Nuys industrial park.

The building is of no historic value. If the business is to continue on, it can just move. There are available properties near there that are of similar square footage within 1-mile of there, and all over the SFV.

Ed is almost 90, and last time I saw him he was very frail. Let's try to celebrate what he has contributed to our hobby, without turning this into an anti-government rant.

Y'all are just going to get the thread locked, or deleted.

XXL__, fauj, 302GMC and 21 others like this.
  11. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

I like how the girl goes off by herself and explores......

mad mikey and Speed Gems like this.
  12. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Looks like it's pretty populated already, but it's California so....:rolleyes: upload_2022-11-19_21-45-37.png

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    Elcohaulic and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

That was sad to watch, but I learned a lot about him. He was part of a Great Era. Bob

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not populated.

That area bordered by main roads, and bisected by the railroad grade, is zoned light industrial, with some variances for heavy.

It is not residential.

Blue One, Special Ed and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Maybe not at night, but somebody must be keeping those lights on during working hours!

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Works there, and populates are two distinct terms.

Yes, hundreds work in that zone.

Tim and VANDENPLAS like this.
  17. Legend!............Progress sucks.:(

Kelly Burns and The37Kid like this.
  18. I recall looking at his stuff when I bought car magazines as a kid. I was generally broke, but managed to buy Hot Rod, Car Craft and Popular Hot Rodding every month.

19. low down A

low down A

that is exactly what happened here. pork'ys was a very hot spot for hotrods and hangin out on saturday nights for several decades,HYVEE bought the place to build another grocery store, they tore down the building probably been10 years now. still an empty lot. des moines ia lost a icon that was never replced

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

I learned more about Ed Pink watching that video than I remember reading in magazines. What were the high points in his career, races won, cars he worked on, modest guy he never mentioned any of that stuff. Bob

21. Fordors

Fordors

A car that Ed was part owner of was the “Old Master”, it was restored by @Pete Eastwood . Ed built engines for Ivo, Prudhomme, Gene Snow, Shirley Muldowney and sold engines and parts to many more.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Fordors, Did he build INDY engines back it the day or were the ones on the tour restorations?

23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m thinking his is not the only building.. looks like hundreds will be removed for a terminal.
    Near where I live the smaller shops under 2000 sq ft are at a premium. Less than 2% are empty. Large ones are empty and the businesses have gone to other states.

fauj, Blue One, moparboy440 and 2 others like this.
  24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife is in real estate and says that the current building is ~11,000 square feet, on a ~24,000 square foot lot.

She says that they are quite a few with comparable PSF (per square foot) lease rates in the SFV.

You appear to be correct on shops that small out your way, but I would ask what business could make the PSF rate for the lease at a size that small.

My CNC shop is just over 4,000 square feet, and it's tiny. We make rent because we are jammed full of machines, leaving just two vehicle work spaces.

fauj, chryslerfan55 and bobss396 like this.
  25. Ed did Indy car engines in different configurations. He figured out that drag racing wasn't the best way to a successful business. He spent more time in other forms of racing. Drag racers are famous for being broke. :)

26. ^^^^^^
    Like the guy said a long time ago .
    He said ,,,,,how can you make a million dollars in drag racing,,,,,,,Start with Two Million !
    Lol .
    Fuel destroys engines and parts,,,,,,,burning $100 dollar bills,,,,,,and not flinching !

Tommy

27. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

I drove the the big truck for John Hotchkiss racing out of Orange county, sponsored by Wynns, for a few months, the rig crew and car were here at Doane Spencers shop in Cayucos Ca, John ran a Porsche GTP in the IMSA class in the 80's, Pink built the motors for that car, Daytona Feb 1989 24 hr Sunbank it ran the whole time no problems at all, thats endurance, us on the other hand in the pits for 24 was tough. We shipped the test engine back to Ed and I stopped in and delivered the race engine to him on the way back to the shop, both for overhauls.

28. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Sure, looked like it was bigger than 11,000 sq ft, My old shop behind mine and a customer's Merc was 10,000 sq ft, So Ed was not only a master engine builder but also a master at stuffing 10 lbs. of stuff in a 2lb bag! lol Who knows, this may allow the current people in charge to expand the business in a better location. A 60 year plus industrial area might not be the nicest neighborhood anymore. Larry

20220817_132546.jpg

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is listed at ~11,000 square. No way to know if that is 100% accurate. From the satellite photo, it does look about that.

It is an industrial park, not a neighborhood. I have been down there countless times.

Nothing much to see.

From their site: "Ed Pink Racing Engines maintains a staff of approximately 15 within their 12,000 square foot facility. The highly talented staff is a mix of mature, experience leaders and a healthy blend of young, ambitious professionals all focused on the common goal of building the best racing and performance engines in the industry. Interestingly, four of EPRE’s key employees have a combined total of 130 years of service at the renowned engine development firm."

So, 12,000 square.

30. I helped my buddy move his machine shop into a 6000 SF building, empty it looked like a cavern. But add a few new machines, etc... it fills up fast. 11,000 SF does sound like a lot. Most engine builders I know are in at around 4000 to 6000 SF.