Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vacuum Nightmare

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cameron Kahill, Nov 15, 2022.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude, please don't talk about my childhood here.

Adriatic Machine and bobss396 like this.
  2. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

750 rpm idle is not bad, how does it run and drive in its current state ?
    Is there any oil on the intake floor or the plugs ?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  3. Well, I think we have driven the OP off this site, because once again, we have trouble staying on topic.

4. That's one way to look at it.
    On the other hand, there's been a total lack of OP feedback from early on, which would have helped keep things on track.
    Unfortunately it's another case of a 1 post OP thowing a bomb and disappearing.
    (And we know he likes to throw things.;)) Eventually people will make their own entertainment.

5. squirrel

squirrel

they work fine at idle, it's just going down the road with the throttle open, that they don't work

theHIGHLANDER likes this.
  6. Can't drive him away if he never comes back! Has not been back since original post.
    Others get upset if answer is not posted in first 5 min.

"ain't the HAMB great?"

Ben

Happydaze and bobss396 like this.
  7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stay tuned bud, in a future season of my build thread I'm going to address my cheap and simple solution to vacuum wiper consistency. Beyond that, I recently flipped a shit ton (official measure) of fuel pumps. Among then was a Rambler or 2 that had 2 stage fuel pumps, 1 stage for vacuum. All my Packard restoration wipers did stay working while running down the road but would slow a little when the long pedal got pressed a bit more. Then again I dunno how important this is to ya but worth a comment.

8. squirrel

squirrel

Not real important to me, since rain-x works pretty well most of the time it's going down the road. The Rambler has a vacuum pump on the NORS fuel pump, but it doesn't seem to do anything to help the wipers. But then, it's not a Packard, either.

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BBCs engines are often decked, if for no more than to get the surfaces right which has taken as much as .020. Milled heads exacerbate the problem which then require a milled intake. It may bolt up but will never seal up the intake as it should. Conversely, if you have a used intake that was milled for the reasons as stated above they too will bolt up yet might be sucking through the lifter valley, but that may give a lot of smoke or oil fouling. A vac reading at the valve cover vent hole may show that, may not.

And since the O/P hasn't returned maybe some of this helps others but I hope he returns triumphant on his 396 powered steed to tell us of his victory.:rolleyes:

squirrel likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

My 396 still has original mating surfaces on the heads and block.

theHIGHLANDER likes this.
  11. andyh1956

andyh1956

We oughtta have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about...:p