Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who can make me a set of throttle blades for an Edelbrock carburetor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheeltramp brian, Nov 18, 2022.

1. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

I've got a 650 AVS to Edelbrock carburetor that a customer had on his car with an extremely large cam and compression. To try and make it run in idle the throttle blades were drilled. While this helped for sure it didn't cure it and I ended up putting a four corner idle Holly on it and it's awesome. I need to get new throttle blades for the primaries and secondaries so that the carb will work again. The problem is I spoke with Edelbrock and they will not sell me the throttle blades separately for whatever reason but they would sell me some for a holly go figure. So is there anybody out there that can make me a set of throttle blades and if so I can get you the specs on them thank you. Brian 661-878-0676 20221118_092529.jpg

2. Callmaker

Callmaker

Maybe you could just plug those holes? pop rivet? ????

3. X-cpe

X-cpe

Start hunting cheap cores. Maybe PM carbking.

4. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Smash rivets ,Solder, lead , brass.JB weld Tig weld just a few choices to fix!

5. Pav8427

Pav8427

Look for a local laser shop. Bring yours in and they can reverse engineer.

6. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

I'd rather not fill them in or put a rivet in fear of something would drop out.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  7. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Egads has got me set up with some primary blades already and I'm working on the secondaries. Here's a picture and dimensions 20221118_103002.jpg 20221118_103002.jpg

8. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

No different than a screw that holds the butterfly in falling out ,a smash rivet done correctly use a tool to set thickness of metal, but can use a hammer and be delicate. methods suggested in the past we're in how to articles in mags.

PhilA and Rand Man like this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I get to an actual computer I will look up the specs.

I might have the secondaries.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Edelbrock carburetor manual is showing all secondaries* at 1-11/16, which is 1.6875".

Unless the AVS is not in that manul, that is.

Those secondaries I have.

*Except for the 800, which are 1-3/4". That is shared with the AVS2 650.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  11. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

The AVS secondaries are definitely bigger than the regular edelbrocks. The bore on the secondaries on this are 1 and 3/4 but the actual plate is 1.8215

12. A rivet + JB Weld, good to go.

missysdad1 likes this.
  13. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Try Nick Smithberg

porkshop likes this.
  15. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

It would take my laser guy 3 days tops, only cause it's brass.

16. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

most lasers will only cut square to the face. throttle blades are an ellipse with angular edge surface.
    Much easier to make on a lathe.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would get some silicon bronze tig rod that is the same diameter, or as close as it can be, to the hole.

Cut a short length of it, put it it in the hole, peen it down on both sides, and then very gently "wet" it down to the throttle blade with a TIG torch., on both sides.

That will minimize/prevent distortion.

18. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Unless you find someone here that is willing to do it for the fun of it, I cant imagine it being economical to pay to have new ones made. You'd probably be better off just junking the carb and buying a whole new one. Sure, they are in the $400 range but how many hours and $$$$ do you think someone would have wrapped up in the whole thing? Design, material procurement, machine set up, machining, inspection, shipping to you.

loudbang, XXL__, clem and 2 others like this.
  19. Silver solder will solve your problem. Just solder them up and call it good.

Actually soft solder would work too. Silver solder would just be better.

20. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

About making them, what @Jethro said exactly. The ones I used to do were 7 degrees. If you set up to do one, may as well put a stack of blanks on and do a bunch. If you need quantity, talk to the people that make throttle bodies for injection. I used to pay ~$7 each to beat having to make them (I probably was buying 25-50 at a time).

19Eddy30 likes this.
  21. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Thanks for all the responses everybody. I've got a set of primaries handled just thinking about secondaries if I can't find any I may have to just plug them. It's lame that the tech at Edelbrock I talked to said they have a box of about a thousand of them sitting there but won't sell them to me because it's a liability but they will sell me holley ones LOL

22. RmK57

RmK57

I use jb weld on a carb to plug the butterfly holes. Lasted for years. Recently I removed the carb for a different project and thought I could just pop out the expoxy with a small screwdriver. No way it was really stuck, had to use a drill of the same size to remove it.

missysdad1 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  23. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

There a few of us that could make them ,
    Lathe ,mill or drill press, from start to finish 1-2 hrs, set up & fixture would be more then half the time .

24. Used to see $35-$50 used Edelbrock carbs on marketplace all the time, not anymore?

25. Don't throttle plates usually have a compound beveled/angled edge and not a square edge like a coin? That's not easy to make from scratch in your typical shop at the side of the house.
    Or am I overthinking it?

jimmy six, deathrowdave and Beanscoot like this.
  26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wish.

27. missysdad1

missysdad1

I'd just JB Weld it and go down the road. If you clean everything carefully it will stay bonded forever...but if it falls out it is soft enough that it won't hurt the engine. Good luck.

XXL__, olscrounger, vtx1800 and 2 others like this.
  28. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I'm with gimpyshotrods, just plug and a touch with a tig and your done.

Machine shop maybe, I'd check with any muffler shops, welding or fab shops. Surely someone around you has a tig. Quick 10 minute fix...

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  29. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

I've got a TIG welder here at the shop just trying to see if I can get some throttle blades before I patch it up

30. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

HAMBer pics Jethro
    Yes there in a Angle
    894565D0-E044-48CB-9868-DA6FE03729BC.png