Register now to get rid of these ads!

History L A license plate frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 18, 2022.

1. I found this license plate frame in a junk yard back in the early 70's, It's a long way from home here in South Carolina, can any of you California guys guesstimate when it was made? HRP

100_0094.JPG

2. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

"Coming into Los Angeles, bringing in a couple of Keys, don't touch my bags if you please mister Customs Man"...
    I have no idea who, what or were thats from but it's in there LOL..

3. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

that would match my plate nicely... IMG_7336.JPG

4. Interesting you quoted a line from Arlo Guthrie, The license plate frame was on a VW bus with the typical hippie stickers in every window. HRP

Elcohaulic, 302GMC and Bob Lowry like this.

5. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Similar to this one I have.
    20221118_100456.jpg
    Fit and finish feel like someone bought a real one and some casting sand and started pouring these from melted down beer cans in their back yard...

No idea the date on this one either.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  6. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

1960's I would guess.I worked at Pep Boys in after High School in '63 and used to sell them.

7. cabong

cabong

I realize this thread is for license plate frames, but the '62 opened it up to plates. When I think of plates, I think of my old friend "Shakey Jake". Aside from being a pinstriper extraordinaire, he was a master of plates. Back when the CA personalized plates first asign
    came out, you need not assign the plates to a car right off the bat. You would simply own them, and could then register them to a car. For that matter, you could order a set, and the local DMV would hold them 'till you picked them up. Shakey ordered many sets of great plates, and since you couldn't sell them, he would give a set away with an overpriced pin striping job. He did sell his best set for a bunch of money at the time, to a gentleman from New York. The plates simply said "OR BUST".....Simple. He had a Chevy van with the plate recess on both rear doors. On one side the plate read "MY PLACE" and of course the other read, "OR YOURS". A great man, who is greatly missed !!