Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Quick Electrical Question About GM Ignition Switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anothercarguy, Oct 29, 2022.

1. I'm working on the electrical re-wiring/upgrade on my '32 Ford. I've purchased an aftermarket 1962-66 GM in dash style ignition switch. It has 5 terminals to connect...They are labelled Battery, Solenoid, Ignition, Accessory and Ground. I know where and what they all connect to...but I'm trying to figure out what would need to ground through the ignition switch? I've looked through a couple of original schematic diagrams and have not been able to see any that include a ground circuit on the ignition switch. Before I simply and blindly trust the labels on the back of the switch (and let the smoke out of my new wires!), figured I would ask.

Thanks in advance.

2. Budget36

Budget36

Hmnn, I don’t recall a ground on an ignition switch. What year/model was it made for?

Edit, I see you said 62-6, but what model? I’d too be curious;)

3. BJR

BJR

Never seen a ground on an ignition switch. Unless the switch was lighted and the light needed a ground.

4. It does have a housing for a lightbulb (copper housing on left...I wasn't planning on using it)...so maybe that's it?

upload_2022-10-29_13-51-22.png

I meant to quote you in my response above.

Budget36 and BJR like this.
  5. The ground was there to turn on 'warning lights' to check their operation when turned to the 'start' position. This was the era of only fuel gauges, warning lights for everything else (hot/cold lights mostly). If you don't have any warning lights, it will be unused. This could also used when the split braking systems came in '67 to check the brake warning light.

Truckdoctor Andy, Elcohaulic and BJR like this.
  6. Thanks Steve (and others that responded)...I'll leave that terminal blank.

7. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

The ground is for Air Conditioning cars. I remember on my sixties Pontiacs the non AC cars had 8 and AC cars had 9. Thats a switched ground, it sends the air conditioning clutch a ground when the ignition switch is in the Start position. You don't want to turn the AC compressor while starting the car.

Also when designing automobile wiring, you can save a lot of money sending switched grounds instead of switched positives since the ground can be picked up almost anywere were as the positive has to come from the fuse panel.

anothercarguy and Budget36 like this.