Register now to get rid of these ads!

History S.E.M.T.A.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59BuickWagon, Nov 14, 2022.

1. Anyone ever heard of the S.F.M.T.A.

Have a plaque for a club named The Royal Rodders of Plymouth with that on it and was curious what timing association this was?

Thanks,

Dennis

Just Gary likes this.
  2. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seeing no responses, I spent some time perusing the internet for SFMTA and related searches. I got nothing useful. Most popular result is San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency.

Surely the wise and omnipotent HAMB will know……

John

3. I got the same results by searching the internet (and the HAMB) too. But I doubt that the Royal Rodders were part of the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency. Although.....Plymouth California is in the Bay Area (sort of - actually closer to the Capital Area).......maybe some SFMTA workers were hot rodders and shared their hobby with their fellow employees:)

Almostdone likes this.
  4. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't have a clue, but Royal Rodders has a bit of British feel to it. Lots of Plymouths out there ounce you get outside of MA!

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty sure the last two characters stand for Timing Association. How 'bout "Sexually Frustrated Men Timing Association"? Hey, you gotta have something to do on the weekend

seb fontana and Almostdone like this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SFMTA is pretty quick to give me tickets for overtime parking!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  7. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I’m a So Cal guy and I know nothing of Massachusetts……

But

I wonder if there is a county or city in the vicinity of Plymouth that starts with the
    letter F. Like Fairfield or Fairfax or something like that, (just guessing names) and the plaque could read…..

South Fairfield Mass Timing Assn
    SFMTA

Just speculation….

8. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The SFMTA in San Francisco wasn't created until in 1999, so no way that a vintage plaque was reference a future organization. I'm also inclined to think East Coast due to the Royal naming. I'll do some hunting and update here if I find anything.

Here's a pic of the plaque in case anyone is wondering:
    02511.jpg

~Peter

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  9. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Next town over is Plymouth, not ringing a bell for anything around here.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe the F is a damaged E.

Can't go much farther South, or East in Massachusetts without a boat.

XXL__ and Just Gary like this.
  11. South East Mass Timing Assn?:confused:

Ralphies54 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take a good look at the F.

Does it not appear that it has TWO periods after it, while the other letters in the initialism have only one?

Is is not plausible that the left period after the F is actually part of the serif on an E?

Just Gary and caprockfabshop like this.
  13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If we're assuming that's an E, then the obvious search result you will see is South Eastern Michigan Transportation Authority, which wasn't founded until 1967. A little late for car club plaques.

That being said, Plymouth Michigan is a suburb of Detroit, in "South Eastern" Michigan. So could it be the South Eastern Michigan Timing Association? Would need some locals to confirm because I'm striking out online with that search.

~Peter

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    Just Gary likes this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or Maine, Minnesota, or Mississippi.

16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plymouth is also a Township in PA.

17. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plymouth Maine is Central, Plymouth Minnesota is Central/South-Central, and Plymouth, Mississippi is an old settlement from the early 1800's.... I think Michigan or Massachusetts is most likely.

~Peter

Just Gary likes this.
  18. gimpyshotrods and theHIGHLANDER are correct - it is S.E.M.T.A. (I changed the title of the thread to reflect that.

Also, did a search for Plymouths in the USA and found seven states that have one according to Google maps: CT, IL, IN, MA, NC, NH, OH and of course there's on in the mother ship - UK.

Google also got me this:
    SEMTA
    Acronym Definition
    SEMTA Sector Skills Council for Science, Engineering and Manufacturing Technologies (UK)
    SEMTA Science, Engineering and Manufacturing Technologies Alliance (UK)
    SEMTA Servicios Multiples de Tecnologias Apropiadas (Bolivia)
    SEMTA Southeastern Michigan Transportation Authority
    SEMTA Seminario Bíblico Tierra Alta (Spanish: Tierra Alta Biblical Seminary; México)
    SEMTA Société d'Économie Mixte des Transports Amiénois
    SEMTA Southeast States Manpower Tripartite Alliance

FWIW, the SEMTA in Michigan started in 1974 which is after Chicago Metal Craft had ceased operations.

Bill Junge suggested SE Model T Assn. :)

So now that we know it's SEMTA what does that open up for ideas?

Attached Files:

caprockfabshop likes this.
  19. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that 3 spoke icon common among plaques? Looks almost like a aircraft propeller to me, which would throw another wrench into the works...

~Peter

seb fontana likes this.
  20. More likely an Olds Fiesta hubcap:)

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Steering wheel spokes.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lets look at this from another angle, What if an individual wanted his own club plaque and wanted it to to appear that his club was part of The South East Mass Timing Associaton which most likely never existed. Pay for the origional casting or even do the casting in foundry class in school. One timing association that no one in Mass has ever heard of, and one club down in the corner of Mass that no one has ever heard of.
    I know that about 45 years or so ago that there was a club listed with NSRA about 35 miles from where I sit. Some snooping and a bit of asking friends in that area let me figure out that it was a one member club. Possibly he was trying to start a club but as far as I know that is as far as it went.

23. Nice thinking outside the box, but...... the two holes in the border mean that the "club" reordered (a?) plaque(?) at least twice. And this pattern is one of the 8000 I bought from the original pattern maker for Chicago Metal Craft - so wherever this "club" was from, they sent their money to Calif., to one of the "Big Three" of the car club plaque makers, to get their (his?) plaques made. Anyone know any old timers or historians from the Detroit area? Plymouth MI (25 west of Detroit) certainly qualifies as being in SE Michigan. And they certainly had lots of drag racing going on back in the day. Just a thought....

24. Appears they were a Plymouth, Michigan club. Found this from the 10-25-1956 Plymouth Mail newspaper:

Screenshot_20221116-033340_Drive.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  25. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@carcruse just solved it! As his second screenshot shows:
    royalrodders.jpg

"The Royal Rodders were recently admitted to the South-eastern Michigan Timing association, which has provided the local club with a drag strip in Tecumseh."

I then referenced the dragstriplist.com and found that the Tecumseh Municipal Airport allowed drag racing as early as 1952.

I found a few pics of races held there in 1955-56:
    tecum2.png tecum1.png

And here's a more recent (2018) overhead view of the airport with the two hangers still intact:
    tecum3.png

~Peter

slayer, Just Gary and lurker mick like this.
  26. Well it looks like the HAMB has come through as usual with the answer to another hot rodding historical question! The last mystery (one year ago) I was looking for was solved in the same timely manor when we discovered that there were two SCTA's - the well known Southern California Timing Assn. and the long forgotten Snohomish County Timing Assn. in Washington.

The HAMB is a great place to get help when you have a history question for sure. And now Bill Junge can add another association to his Associations page of his car club plaque website! (https://carclubplaques.pairsite.com/Associations.htm).

Well done and thank you!

27. You are welcome.

seb fontana and wraymen like this.
  28. I was hoping BB King, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Prince, Queen, Earl Hines and Little Anthony and the Imperials were all car guys.

29. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Hey Dennis. Why didn't your serach find the Plymouth in CA?

Plymouth.JPG

gimpyshotrods likes this.